01 December 2023

Durch Adams Fall und Missethat

Here is my translation of the justification hymn, “Durch Adams Fall und Missethat” (Johann Anastasius Freylinghausen, d. 1739), in NEGB #178 with melody assignment “O Jesu Christe, wahres Licht” [=Herr Jesu Christ, meins Lebens Licht] and omitting stanzas 9–12; originally appearing in Freylinghausen’s own hymnal, ed. 1714, as a counterpart to his foregoing hymn on human corruption, “Durch Adams Fall und Frevelthaten” (both inspired by Spengler’s hymn).


 


BY Adam’s fall and trespass sore
That he in Eden wrought of yore,
Are sin and death upon us come,
And all calamities in sum.

2 Where is God’s image vanished hence?
Where that pure wreath of innocence?
Where gone, the Tree of Life’s effect?
Have not all these been wholly wrecked?

3 Therefore I lie here in my blood,
Am made to feel the wrath of God,
Am wounded sore from head to toe,
No soundness in my soul I know.

4 Where is the healer of our race?
Will none be found to take my case?
Where is the salve to mend my soul?
Where is the oil to make me whole?

5 Alas, alas, all helpers fail!
No herbs or physics here avail,
Nor aught that learning could devise!
One thing there is the cure supplies.

6 Thy precious Blood, O Jesus, spilt
To pay for all men’s sin and guilt—
This only heals my deepest flaws.
Oh, therefore take Thou up my cause!

7 The water, that so bright and clear
Flowed from Thy heart, a fountain dear,
Doth make me clean and free from stain,
And pacifies my every pain.

8 The wounds that then were given Thee
When Thou wast put upon the tree,
These count as my unfailing cure
And free me from death’s serviture.

*9 Oh, come then, Savior, come in haste,
And give my soul relief and rest;
Thine oil and wine unstinting pour,
And pains are gone and griefs no more!

*10 I feel a new vitality
Wrought by my Maker’s grace in me;
A new life fills me, O my God,
To serve Thee without guile or fraud.

*11 Lord, at Thy Word to Thee I hold,
O Door of life and Rock of old!
Salvation—so Thou calledst Thee—
Physician, Life, and Portion free.

*12 Through Thee I’ll ever live on high,
And I believe, though I must die,
That I will live and rise again,
Renewed and sound and free from sin.

13 All praise and thanks and majesty
Be offered from us all to Thee!
Physician, may we e’er be found
In Thee completely whole and sound!

Translation © 2023 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Durch Adams fall und missethat,
Die er ehmals verübet hat.
Ist auf uns kommen sünd und tod,
Samt andrer überhäuster noth.

2 Wo ist des edlen bilden glanz?
Wo ist der reinen unschuld kranz?
Wo ist des lebensbaumes saft?
Ist es nicht alles weggeraft?

3 Da lieg ich nun in meinem blut,
Muß fühlen Gottes zornes ruth,
Vom fuß bis an das haupt verwundt;
An seel und leib ist nichts gefund.

4 Wo ist der arzt der helfen kan?
Ist neimand der sich mein nimmt an?
Wo ist die salb, wo ist das öhl,
Das heilet meine kranke seel?

5 Ach! aber, ach! nichts hilfet mir,
Kein kraut noch pflaster nützet hier,
Und was die kunst erfunden hat!
Nur eins ist, das hier finder statt.

6 Dein blut, das, Jesu, deine huld
Vergossen hat für meine schuld,
Das ist es, das mich heilen kan,
Ach! nun, so nim dich meiner an.

7 Das wasser, das so klar und hell
Aus deines herzens lebens-quell
Geflossen, macht mich hell und rein,
Macht ruhig und stillt alle pein.

8 Die wunden, die man dir gemacht,
Da man dich hat ans creutz gebracht,
Die deinen mir zur arzeney,
Und machen mich vom tode frey.

*9 Ey nun, so eile doch herzu,
Schaff meiner seelen hülf und ruh;
Gib öhl und wein mit mildem guß,
So weicht die quaal, so flieht verdruß.

*10 So spür ich neue geistes-kraft,
Die Gottes gnade in mir schaft,
So dringt ein neues leben ein,
Zu dienen dir ohn heuchelschein.

*11 Ich fasse dich bey deinem wort,
O starker fels und lebens-pfort
Da du gesagt: Ich bin dein heil,
Dein arzt, dein leben und dein theil.

*12 Drum leb ich durch dich ewiglich,
Und ob ich sterb, so glaube ich,
Daß ich doch wieder leben werd
Ganz frisch, gesund und ohn beschwerd.

13 Halleluja, dank, kraft und macht
Sey von uns allen dir gebracht,
O Arzt! jetzt und zu aller stund,
Mach uns doch durch und durch gesund.

No comments: