28 June 2026

Jesu, reiche mir die Hände

Here is my translation of the hymn, “Jesu, reiche mir die Hände” (E. Neumeister, 1710), from the author’s Zugang zum Gnadenstuhl, second series, for Trinity IV.

Mel.: Gott des Himmels und der Erden.


 

JESUS, now Thy hands extending,
Draw me onward mightily,
That until the final ending
I in faith may follow Thee,
Walking as a Christian should,
Mirroring the highest Good.

2 Help me now to love my neighbor,
Help me, merciful to be,
That t’ward him I may so labor
As he ought to do to me;
Whereby faithfulness unfeigned
Seals of the bond of love engrained.

3 Evil thinking of one’s brothers,
Falsehood, and hypocrisy,
Selfishness, and judging others—
Let these all be far from me!
Thus men walk, to their disgrace,
In the devil’s works and ways.

4 I admit, my own endeavor
Can for no good thing avail;
Art Thou not my Leader ever,
I must stumble, fall, and fail.
Yea, if even Thee we gain,
Flesh must weak and dull remain.

Thine alone-deserving merit
And Thy gifts of grace supplied
Must the sole acclaim inherit
That we men are sanctified.
Therefore, that I lack no thing,
Unto these in faith I cling.

6  All my faults and errors thoughtless
Cover with Thy righteousness.
Am I here no angel spotless,
Ah, yet there I shall possess
An angelic, perfect way,
And reflect Thy holy ray!

7  Oh, extend Thy hands to aid me!
I will follow; draw Thou me!
When the pilgrim pathway laid me
Meets its ending finally,
And my course is finished quite,
Take me into heav’nly light.

 
GERMAN

Jesu, reiche mir die Hände,
ziehe mich mit Kräften an,
daß ich bis zum letzten Ende
die im Glauben folgen kann,
und ich wnadle, wie ein Christ,
der nach dir gebildet ist.

2 Hilf, daß ich den Nächsten liebe;
mache mich an Güte voll,
daß an ihm ich alles übe,
was er mir erweisen soll;
und dann ungefärbte Treu
beiderseits das Siegel sei.

3 Arges denken, böses tichten,
falsches Wesen, Heuchelschein,
Eigenliebe, Splitterrichten,
laß doch ferne von mir sein.
Ach da folgt man, die zur Schmach,
Satans Weg- und Werken nach.

4 Ich erkenne, daß zu allen
mein Vermögen nichtig ist.
Ich muß fehlen, straucheln, fallen,
wo du nicht mein Führer bist
Ja, und wenn man dich auch hat,
bleibt das Fleisch doch schwach und matt.

5 Du nur mußt die Ehre haben,
daß durch dein Verdienst allein
und durch deine Gnadengaben,
Menschen mögen heilig sein.
Daß mir nun nichts mangeln kann,
halt ich mich im Glauben dran.

6 Alle meine Fehl und Mängel
decke mit Gerechtigkeit.
Werd ich auf der Welt kein Engel:
Ei, so ist mirs dort bereit,
daß ich da nach deinem Sinn
englisch und vollkommen bin.

7 Nun so reich mir die Hände.
Ich will folgen, zeuch du mich.
Gehet dann der Weg zu Ende,
und die Wallfahrt schliesset sich,
so nimm nach vollbrachtem Lauf
mmich in Himmel selig auf.

No comments: