14 November 2023

Gott Lob, es geht nunmehr zu Ende

Here is my translation of the death & burial hymn, “Gott Lob, es geht nunmehr zu Ende” (Christian Weise, d. 1708), in NEGB # 134 with melody assignment “Wer nur den lieben Gott,” etc., and title “For the dying.” The cipher “‡” indicating Henkel’s authorship is an error. Henkel omits the last 2 stanzas. My base text for supplying the missing stanzas and for the bracketed variants is Krauße’s Gsb (1708) and Vollständige Kirchen- und Haus-Musik (1699)—which illustrates the amount of emendation occurring at this period, perhaps from the author’s own hand or with his consent. Fischer states that the hymn originally appeared in the author’s Reiffe Gedanken (1682) and Tugend-lieder (1703), after it was composed on the occasion of the death and burial of Elector Johann Georg III of Saxony, who died with the word “Jesus” on his lips, and it was sung at his committal on Oct. 20, 1680 at the Zittau Gymnasium; the hymn was also used at the author’s own funeral in 1708.

 


MY God be praised! At last it endeth.
The greatest struggle now is done.
My Lord to me His hand extendeth—
My Jesus, who doth save alone.
So let me go from earthly pains,
For Jesus my last word remains.

2 Oh, wonder not what I believèd;
This I believe: He loveth me;
I cannot be of joy bereavèd,
My life and comfort shall He be;
I go where He in blessing reigns,
For Jesus my last word remains.

3 That hope in Him hath failed me never,
In His death baptized, at His Word,
There did I put on Christ my Savior,
Since He from death my life procured.
He shall deliver and sustain;
Let His name my last word remain.

4 Yea, though my sin would still aggrieve me—
What man is there lives blamelessly?—
The thought of Jesus doth relieve me,
Who in His death hath buried me.
My soul to life’s high port attains,
And Jesus my last word remains.

5 By Jesus, death was overpowered,
When on the cross He deigned to die;
Then was my death itself devoured,
Christ is my Head, His member I.
All that He hath my soul obtains.
Then let Him my last word remain!

*6 Speak not of things the world pursueth;
The most High for the world doth care:
To Him commend it; well He doeth,
And light and right will still be there.
God turn all cause of griefs and pains
By Him who my last word remains!

*7 Therefore rejoice; at last it endeth,
And Jesus is my whole acclaim:
With thrilling joy my soul attendeth
To see the One it loves to name:
Oh, Jesus, my last word remain!
Now hush my soul, and heaven gain.

Translation © 2023 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Gott Lob es geht nunmehr zum Ende,
der schwerste Kampf ist nun vollbracht, [Der mei{n}ste…] [Das meiste Schrecken…]
mein Jesus reichet mir die Hände. [reicht mir schon]
Er ist es, der mich selig macht; [Mein Jesus!…]
drum laß mich gehn, ich reise fort; [laßt]
mein Jesus ist mein letztes Wort.

2 Besorgt euch nicht um meinen Glauben, [Was fragt ihr viel nach…]
ich glaube, daß mich Jesus liebt.
Kein Tod kann mir die Hoffnung rauben, […soll mir die Freude rauben:]
wann er mir Trost und Leben giebt. [dann Jesus…] [wenn Jesus…]
Ich fahr an den gewünschten Ort [[Ich fahre wohl und weiß den…]
und Jesus bleibt mein letztes Wort. [dann…]

3 Mein Heiland hat mich nie betrogen, [Die Hoffnung…]
ich bin auf sein Befehl getauft, […Gebot getauft,] [auf seinen Tod]
da hab ich ihn selbst angezogen, [ich Jesum]
weil er mich hat vom Tod erkauft: [da hat er mich…]
drum bleibe er mein Heil und Hort, [Drum Jesus bleibt…]
sein Name ist mein letztes Wort. [sein Nam ist auch…] [sein Name sei…]

4 Will mich die Sünde jetzt auch kränken, [Wiewohl die Sünde mich will…]
weil ich vor Gott nicht recht gelebt: [Wer ist, der ohne Tadel lebt:]
ich darf dennoch an Jesum denken, [Allein ich darf an…]
der mich in seinen Tod begräbt,
so komm ich an die Lebenspfort, […den Lebensport,]
und Jesus bleibt mein letztes Wort.

5 Mein Jesus hat den Tod bezwungen
als er am Kreuze selbst verschied,
da war mein Tod zugleich errungen. [da ward…verschlungen;]
Er ist mein Haupt, und ich sein Glied. […ich bin sein Glied.]
Er, mein Erlöser hier und dort, [Was Jesus hat, das hab ich…]
drum sei er auch mein letztes Wort.

R.

*6 Gedenkt mir nicht an eitle Sachen,
der Höchste sorgt schon für die Welt: [[sorget vor]
befehlt es ihm, er wirds wohl machen,
daß Licht und Recht den Platz behält.
Gott wende Jammer, List und Mord,
durch Jesum, als mein letztes Wort.

*7 Nun freuet euch, es geht zum Ende,
mein Jesus ist mein Lebens Ruhm: [[…heißt der letzte Ruhm,]
wie fröhlich klopf ich in die Hände!
Wo bleibst du doch, mein Eigenthum?
Ach, Jesu, sei mein letztes Wort!
Nun schweig ich still und fahre fort.

No comments: