22 November 2023

Gott Lob, daß er mich letzte Nacht

Here is my translation of the morning hymn, “Gott Lob, daß er mich letzte Nacht” (Paul Henkel, d. 1825), in NEGB #159 with melody assignment “Es ist das Heil uns kommen her.”

 


TO God be praise, who through the night
In boundless love and favor
Hath guarded me from harm and fright
And shown again as ever
That I, though wretched, have His love,
And He this morning from above
The new day’s light hath given!

2 In quiet peace I lay and slept,
Beneath Thy grace defended;
Thou hast o’er me Thy vigil kept
And when the night was ended
Awakened me to morn’s fair hour,
That jofyul, with replenished pow’r
I may go to my labor.

3 To Thee, dear Father, thanks I say
For faithfulness shown to me.
Within Thy light and on Thy way
Still lead me and work through me.
Give strength to pass the day for Thee,
And so to serve Thee faithfully
As Thou hast me commanded.

4 Forgive me all my sins anew
For Jesus’ sake, I pray Thee,
And let me Thy commandments do
And as thy child obey Thee,
And follow in my Savior’s way,
So that my eyes may every day
Be fixed alone on Jesus.

Translation © 2023 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN

Gott Lob, daß er mich letzte Nacht
aus großer Lieb und Treue
für allem Schaden hat bewacht,
und zeigt mir auf das Neue,
daß er mich armen Mensch noch liebt,
auch mir an diesem Morgen giebt
das Licht des neuen Tages.

2 Ich lag und schlief in stiller Ruh,
dein Gnad hat mich bedecket;
Mich, lieber Gott, bewahrtest du,
und hast mich aufgewecket
in dieser schönen Morgenstund,
daß ich nun fröhlich und gesund
an mein Geschäft kann gehen.

3 Ich lob und preise, Vater, dich,
für deine Treu und Pflege,
ach, leit und führe selber mich,
in deinem Licht und Wege;
gib Kraft, daß ich den ganzen Tag
in deinem Dienst zubringen mag,
wie du mir selbst befohlen.

4 Vergieb mir alle meine Sünd
um meines Jesu willen,
gib daß ich als ein frommes Kind
mag dein Gebot erfüllen;
auch folge meinem Heiland nach,
daß ich auch habe alle Tag
mein Jesum vor den Augen.

No comments: