21 September 2023

Mein Jesus lebt, was soll[t] ich sterben

Here is my supplemental translation of the Easter hymn, “Mein Jesus lebt, was soll[t] ich sterben” (Benjamin Schmolck, d. 1737), in NEGB #59 in 4 stanzas for Easter Monday, with melody assignment “Wer nur den lieben Gott läßt walten,” originally published in Heilige Flammen, etc. (1704). A companion piece by Schmolck is titled “Mein Jesus stirbt, was sollt ich leben” (My Jesus dies; shall I be living?). The translation by Arthur Tozer Russell lacked only the second stanza, which I provide here with his versions of stanzas 1, 3, and 4, with the slight alteration of “Saviour” to “Jesus” in accordance with the German, correcting a change which seems quite inexplicable, unless made on aesthetic grounds.

 



MY Jesus lives: I shall not perish:
My Head triumphant leaves the tomb:
Immortal hope my heart shall cherish,
No more opprest with earthly gloom.
Hence, sorrow, hence: this solace gives,
The grave is empty: Jesus lives.

2 My Jesus wins! Beneath Him lieth
All that would else my slayers be;
Now Death is fallen—lo, he dieth,
And Satan subject is to me.
The very pit of Hades heaves,
For all things echo: Jesus lives!

3 My Jesus lives! Thy bars He rendeth,
O Grave! nor will I dread thee more:
Hope now my steps to death attendeth!
His word shall me to life restore.
How sweet the sound! “To Mine I give
With Me forevermore to live.”

4 My Jesus now my Life remaineth:
He lives within my heart e’en here:
To Him who now my life sustaineth,
That life I give, nor death I fear.
To me eternal life He gives;
Its seal, that Jesus ever lives.

Translation sts. 1, 3–4, A. T. Russel, 1851.
St. 2: Translation © 2023 Matthew Carver.


GERMAN
Mein Jesus lebt, was soll ich sterben?
Hier steht mein Haupt und triumphiert.
So muß ich ja das Leben erben,
weil Noth und Tod die macht verliert.
Weg Traurigkeit, Vergnügung her!
Mein Jesus lebt, sein Grab ist leer.

2 Mein Jesus siegt, drum liegt zu Füssen,
was mir das Leben rauben kann.
Der Tod muß nun die Erde küssen,
mir wird der Satan unterthan.
Der Höllen Abgrund selbsten hebt,
denn überall schallt: Jesus lebt.

3 Mein Jesus lebt, das Grab ist offen,
so geh ich freudig in die Gruft.
Hier kann ich auch im Tode hoffen,
daß mich sein Wort ins Leben ruft.
Wie süße schallt die Stimme hier:
ich leb, und ihr lebt auch mit mir.

4 Mein Jesus bleibt also mein Leben,
er lebt in meinem Herzen hier,
und soll ich ihm das Leben gehen,
mein Tod kommt mir nicht schrecklich für,
weil er mich in den Himmel hebt,
so wahr, als Jesus ist und lebt.

No comments: