19 July 2023

Ich bin getauft, ich bin erkauft

Here is my translation of the Baptism hymn, “Ich bin getauft, ich bin erkauft” (Ludämilia Elisabeth Countess of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt, d. 1672), in ELGB #293, originally in the author’s posthumous Die Stimme der Freundin (1687), p. 409. Despite entries for numerous other hymns, Fischer’s lexicon omits this one. The first stanza resembles stanza 7 of “Ach durch die Sünd / ich armes Kind” by Sigismund von Birken (d. 1681), roughly contemporary with the Countess; von Birken’s hymn is found, e.g., in the Marpurg Gsb 1698. Her hymn is included a year earlier in Andächtiger Seelen geistliches Brand- und Dank-Opfer II, p. 485ff. In Krauss’s hymnal 1708, the first line is “Ich bin getauft / und theur erkauft.” The appointed melody is “Ach Gott und Herr.”

 



BAPTIZED I am,
Bought by the Lamb,
With His blood, wounds and Passion;
I’ve peace with God,
For Jesus’ blood
Brings reconciliation.

2 Weep, devil, hell
And death as well,
Since all your vain endeavor
Was foiled by Christ:
I am baptized
And blest in Him forever!

3 Yes, once I lay
Beneath hell’s sway,
In sin, which Adam gave me;
That ye did mark;
Now see the work
By which my God doth save me!

4 He showed to me
Life’s portal free,
The bath His Word containing,
Took me into
His cov’nant new,
The gate of heav’n unchaining.

5 O washing dear,
That wipeth clear
The stain of all transgression,
By whose great pow’r
That very hour
I left the foe’s possession!

6 O promise great,
By which th’ estate
Of blessedness was given!—
The breachless band
By which God’s hand
Hath bound me unto heaven!

7 At once was I
God’s child thereby
And Christ became my Brother,
And now I stand
Among the band
That hails the church as mother.

8 For He therein
Freed me from sin,
Made me a new creation
And pledged to me
My place shall be
In His own habitation.

9 My robe most prized
Is Jesus Christ,
And He in me now liveth,
And unto me
Eternally
Himself and all He giveth.

10 His merits all
Upon me fall,
Which in the font were buried;
All that was His,
My own now is,
Yea, Christ to me is married.

11 Can comfort e’er
(I must say ne’er!)
Surpass this consolation,
Which doth appear
Before me here
In Baptism’s earthly station.

12 O Maker mine,
My Shield divine,
How great is Thy long-suff’ring!
God’s Son, alone
My Mercy-throne,
How gracious Thy self-off’ring!

13 Thou foundest me
Ere I sought Thee,
Ere I could e’en draw near Thee;
Ere I did knock,
Thou didst unlock,
And ere I called, didst hear me.

14 Oh, can I, too,
Some gift, as due,
To God in turn be giving?
No more I know
Than to bestow
My thanks and praise while living.

15 To God once more,
To whom of yore
My vows for me were spoken,
In faith I bow
And pledge Him now
My faith and love unbroken.

16 I will hold high
Until I die
The old renunciations;
No vein in me
Shall Satan’s be,
Despite all tribulations.

17 But should I stray
(As is man’s way),
The Baptism-cov’nant breaking,
Oh, do not Thou
Break off the vow,
But keep me from forsaking!

18 Thou know’st how lame
And weak I am;
Oh, from all sin protect me!
All foes dispel—
Sin, Satan, hell—
That from Thee would direct me.

19 The cross’s load
By Thee bestowed
In Baptism’s holy laver,
Help me to bear
With patience e’er
By Thy good grace and favor.

20 O Christ, since Thou
My own art now
In faith and trusting solely,
Then come, my Stay,
Without delay
And let me see Thee wholly.

21 Into Thy death
O God, by faith
I am baptized and buried
With Thee thereby;
To Thee on high
I shall therefore be carried.

22 Receive me then
To highest heav’n,
But meanwhile let me ever
From day to day
Grant that I may
Forget my Baptism never.

Translation © 2023 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Ich bin getauft,
ich bin erkauft,
durch Jesu Blut und Wunden;
nun steht es gut,
denn Jesu Blut
hat Gott und mich verbunden.

2 O Satans Macht!
O Todes Nacht!
nun trauret, ich bin fröhlich:
was ihr gedacht,
ist nicht vollbracht,
ich bin getauft und selig.

3 Ich lag zwar da,
der Höllen nah,
in angebornen Sünden,
ihr sahet das, nun sehet, was
mich Gott für Heil laßt finden.

4 Er zeigte mir
die Lebens-Thür,
das Wasser-Bad im Worte,
nahm mich zur Stund
in seinen Bund,
schloß auf die Himmels-Pforte.

5 Das edle Bad,
das den Unflath
der Sünden weggenommen,
durch dessen Kraft
der Heidenschaft
ich gänzlich bin entnommen.

6 Das werthe Pfand
so in den Stand
der Selgen mich versetzet,
das feste Band,
da Gottes Hand
mich bindet und ergötzet.

7 Dadurch geschwind,
ich Gottes Kind
und Jesus Bruder (Schwester) worden.
Vom werthen Geist,
auch allermeist
geführt zum Christen-Orden.

8 Denn Er dabei,
gewirket frei,
und mich hat neu geboren,
auch also fort
zu seinem Ort
der Wohnung auserkoren.

9 Ich zoge an
den Jesus-Mann,
Er zog mich an hinwieder,
Er kleidet sich
in mich, und mich
in sich und seiner Güter.

10 Denn sein Verdienst,
als mein Gewinnst,
im Tauf-Brunn lag versenket,
was seine war,
ja Jesus gar,
wurd damals mir geschenket.

11 Kann nun wohl je
(ich spreche nie)
mehr Trost gefunden werden,
als welchen hier,
mir zeiget für,
das Taufbad auf der Erden.

12 Du Schöpfer mild,
mein Schirm und Schild,
wie bist Du so langmüthig;
O! Gottes Sohn,
mein Gnaden-Thron,
wer ist, wie Du, so gütig!

13 Du fandest mich,
eh als ich Dich
zu suchen noch vermochte,
Du hörtest drauf, und thätest auf,
eh ich noch rief und pochte.

14 Ach! kann denn wohl
ich, wie ich soll,
dafür auch Gott was geben?
Nichts weiß ich mehr,
als Dank und Ehr
jetzt und im ganzen Leben.

15 Gott, dem sich hat
an meiner Statt,
mein Taufzeug fest verschrieben,
dem sag ich nu
mich nochmals zu,
und schwöre Ihn zu lieben.

16 Ich sag auch ab,
bis in mein Grab
dem, dem mein Zeug entsaget,
kein Aederlein
soll Satans sein,
ob er mich gleich hier plaget.

17 Wann aber auch,
nach Menschen Brauch,
ich diesen Taufbund breche,
so brich ihn nicht,
mein Gott mein Licht,
halt mich in Deiner Pflege.

18 Du weißt vorhin,
wie schwach ich bin,
ach! hilf mir Sünde meiden.
Laß keine Noth,
Sünd, Satan Tod,
nichts, nichts, von Dir mich scheiden.

19 Die Kreuzes-Last,
darzu Du hast
mich damals ausersehen,
mir Deine Huld
wohl mit Geduld
mir helfen überstehen.

20 Und weil Du bist,
Herr Jesu Christ,
mein worden im Vertrauen;
so las mich bald,
mein Aufenthalt,
dort völlig Dich anschauen.

21 Ich bin ja, Gott,
auf Deinen Tod
getauft und so begraben
mit Dir zugleich,
darum Dein Reich
ich muß zur Wohnung haben.

22 So nimm mich hin
zur Himmels-Zinn,
und laß mich unterdessen,
in Leid und Freud,
ja allezeit,
die Taufe nicht vergessen.



No comments: