25 July 2023

Mein Gott, ich lob und preise dich

Here is my translation of the post-Confession (thus pre-Communion) and justification hymn, “Mein Gott, ich lob und preise dich” (Anon., asc. Johann Rist, d. 1667), in ELGB #318, probably first appearing in the Plön Gsb 1676, then in 1687, as Fischer says, adding that it is also “often ascribed, without reason, to Johann Rist.” The appointed melody is “An Wasserflüssen Babylon.”

 



MY God, I laud and worship Thee
With all my soul’s devotion,
That Thou hast had me spoken free
And given absolution
From all my sin and guilt incurred,
Which have Thy wrath so sorely stirred!
How shall I thank Thee ever
Lord, for Thy goodness and Thy grace
Which Thou hast shown in every case,
And for Thy constant favor?

2 I hardly would have sought from Thee
Release for my transgression,
But oh, Thou comest instantly
And show’st me Thy compassion!
Where is there such a god as Thou,
Who graciously doth hearken how
The needy souls are sighing,
And still, in spite of all our debt,
Turns unto us with kindness yet,
As is Thy way undying?

3 Since Thou hast now my sin released
And ta’en me to Thy favor,
I would prepare me for the feast
Of Christ my Lord and Savior,
And be a fit and faithful guest:
So let my soul be rightly dressed
For food of heav’nly merit,
And worthy to partake thereof!
My God, to do so, from above
Teach me by Thy good Spirit.

Translation © 2023 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Mein Gott, ich lob und preise Dich,
von Grunde meiner Seelen,
daß Du am jetzt hast lassen mich
freisprechen und los zählen
von meiner schweren Missethat,
die Dich so sehr erzürnet hat.
Wie soll ich gnugsam preisen,
Herr, Deine große Gütigkeit,
die Du jetzt und sonst allezeit
hast wollen mir erweisen?

2 Ich hatte kaum gesucht bei Dir
Vergebung meiner Sünden,
ach! sieh, da liest Du selbe hier
mich alsobalden finden.
Wo ist ein solcher Gott wie Du,
der so genädig höret zu
dem Seufzen der Elenden,
und ungeachtet unsrer Schuld,
zu uns sich mit so großer Huld,
wie Du thust, pflegt zu wenden?

3 Weil Du mich denn so väterlich
zu Gnaden angenommen,
so will ich nun bereiten mich
zu Deinem Tisch zu kommen,
als ein geschickter frommer Gast,
O Seele mache dich gefaßt
zu dieser Himmelsspeise,
daß du sie würdiglich geneust.
Mein Gott hilf, das Dein guter Geist
mich hiezu unterweise.

No comments: