Mel.: Du Friedenfürst, Herr Jesu Christ.
THOU Prince for my salvation sent,
Lord Jesus Christ, oh, hear!
A heart of sorrow penitent
I bring before Thee here.
Receive it, Lord, / and grace afford,
In which I may take comfort!
2 I know I’ve earned no grace, O God,
Since I the world have loved
And all the whims of flesh and blood
In wicked passions proved,
And in Thy sight / have thus made light
Of grace and my salvation.
3 Yet Thou recall’st Thy gracious love
Can never measured be;
I know Thy faithful heart above
Forgets my debts to Thee.
To Thee I cleave, / and I believe
That Thou wilt not reject me.
4 Ah, shouldst Thou send me comfortless,
Then Satan, hell, and death
Would cackle at my sad distress
And disappointed faith
That Thou couldst not / nor wouldst do aught
To help me in my danger.
5 Show, therefore, that to me and Thee
The foe is but a fraud!
Oh, yes, Lord Jesus, succor me
With Thy most precious blood.
Through this alone / before Thy throne
Can I from sin be cleansèd.
6 Thy Spirit gives me comfort rich:
Thy heart doth break in Thee.
The word of Absolution, which
Thy servant speaks to me
Is just as sure / as if it were
By Thine own mouth imparted.
7 Thus I with God am reconciled,
Who, Savior dear, in Thee
Doth crown me with Thy mercy mild.
Yet grant me ceaselessly
According to / Thy Word to do,
A life of newness living.
Translation © 2026 Matthew Carver.
GERMAN
Du Herzog meiner Seligkeit,
Herr Jesu, höre mich!
Ein traurig Herz voll Reu und Leid
bring ich allhier vor dich.
Ach nimm es an,
daß ich mich kann
in deiner Gnade trösten.
2 Zwar keiner Gnade bin ich werth,
weil ich die Welt geliebt,
und das, was Fleisch und Blut begehrt,
in Lüsten ausgeübt:
Wodurch ich mir bei Gott und dir
die Seligkeit verscherzet.
3 Doch denkst du dran, daß deine Huld
ganz unermeßlich ist;
so weiß ich auch, daß aller Schuld
dein treues Herz vergißt.
Ich halte mich getrost an dich,
du kannst mich nicht verstoßen.
4 Ach ging ich ohne Trost von dir,
der Satan schlüge drauf
ein Hohngelächter über mir
und meinen Glauben auf,
daß du mir gar in der Gefahr
nicht könnst noch wolltest helfen.
5 Drum zeige, daß an mir und dir
der Feind ein Lügner sei.
Ach ja, Herr Jesu, stehe mir
mit deinem Blute bei!
Durch dies allein kann ich mich rein
von allen Sünden waschen.
6 Dein Geist im Herzen sagt mirs schon,
daß dir dein Herze bricht.
Das Wort der Absolution,
so mir dein Diener spricht,
ist so gewiß, als ob du diß
mit eignem Munde sprächest.
7 So bin ich nun mit Gott versöhnt,
der mit Barmherzigkeit
mich, theurer Heiland, in dir krönt.
Ach gieb nur allezeit,
daß ich hinfort nach deinem Wort
ein neues Leben führe!

No comments:
Post a Comment