28 October 2023

Weh mir, daß ich so oft und viel

Here is my translation of the Repentance hymn, “Weh mir, daß ich so oft und viel” (Johann Heermann, d. 1647), in NEGB #110 in 5 stanzas with melody assignment “Es ist gewisslich an der Zeit,” first appearing in 12 stanzas in the author’s Devoti Musica Cordis (Breslau, 1630) with title “Another repentance hymn, in which a Christian prays for grace and forgiveness of his sins, after Tauler.” Fischer notes that many hymnals reduce it to 8 stanzas: “Certainly the hymn can only gain by moderate abbreviation, cf. st. 11 . . .” Henkel includes only the first 5 stanzas according to his usual method.

 


AH! woe is me, that I so oft
Have sinned as one blind-hearted,
And heaped my crimes so high aloft,
And from my God departed!
Who naught hath shown but utter grace
And good in every time and place
Since I was first begotten.

2 Ah, woe is me, that I have sealed
My heart to God so coldly,
Who else would be my Sword and Shield
To fight distresses boldly.
Abominations there I’ve poured,
It stinketh as a pit abhorred,
In which the devil dwelleth.

3 My heart and mind convict me well,
I must confess it freely,
The chief of sinners, bound for hell,
Must be my title, really;
Yet when, O God, I Thee survey,
I cannot doubt in any way
Thy pow’r and will to save me.

4 Though great my tyrant sins have been,
Which kindled Thy displeasure,
Thy grace is greater far than sin
And pow’r of man to measure:
As great as Thou, great God, must be,
So great with Thee eternally
Is Thy great grace and goodness.

5 That grace Thou hast no man denied
Since first the world was framèd;
Who fearless doth in Thee confide
Shall never be ashamèd.
I pray, I plead, I call, I cry
In hope await Thy kind reply;
Grace let me find, I pray Thee.

6 I call to mind the gracious word
That from Thy mouth proceeded,
When I with joy Thy longing heard
Thy hopeful accents heeded:
Thou hast, O man, oft run astray
To idols, and thus away
Thy soul from Me estrangèd.

7 Yet come, repent what thou hast done,
Strange lovers from thee sever,
And I will take thee in again
And keep thy soul forever.
Upon this word I cling to Thee,
And come, believing fervently
That Thou indeed wilt take me.

8 For I in truth am such a soul
As other loves desired,
And fleeing Thee, my moveless Pole,
In every swamp was mired.
Delights of others climes I sought,
Which yet to comfort offer naught,
But as a cloudlet vanish.

9 I am the wayward, wicked child
That from Thy keeping wandered,
And with the world’s defiance wild
His heritage hath squandered,
And recklessly the Bread divine
Hath cast aside, and like the swine
Upon the pods hath feasted.

10 O God, I oft against Thee strove,
My own delights pursuing,
And after those desires I drove,
Which are but good’s undoing;
The highest Good I have despised,
Have only fleeting trifles prized,
And in the world lived proudly.

11 Thus poor and naked I must die
Some near and wretched hour;
And in my Father’s lap to lie
Is far beyond my power;
Yea, I must moulder after death
In my own filth, when flees my breath,
As all the cattle perish.

12 And yet in grace, I beg of Thee,
Remember not forever
My sin and my iniquity,
But in Thy gracious favor
Forget, forbear, and let me live.
A new heart, Father, to me give,
Through Christ, Thy Son, my Savior.

Translation © 2023 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Weh mir, daß ich so oft und viel,
als wär ich gar verblendet,
gesündigt ohne Zahl und Ziel,
von Gott mich abgewendet!
der mir doch nichts denn lauter Gnad
und Wohlthat stets erwiesan hat
in meinem ganzen Leben.

2 Weh mir, daß ich vor meinem Gott
mein Herz so fest verschloßen,
darin er mir ein Schutz in Noth
zu sein war unverdroßen!
Viel Greuel hab ich drein gebracht,
es stinkt jetzt wie ein garstig Schacht,
darin der Satan wohnet.

3 Mich überzeuget Herz und Sinn,
ich muß es frei bekennen,
daß ich der größte Sünder bin,
darf mich nicht anders nennen.
Doch wenn ich dich, o Gott, schon an,
mit nichten ich verzweifeln kann,
du kannst und willst mir helfen.

4 Groß ist zwar meine Missethat,
die mich bisher besessen,
doch ist weit größer deine Gnad,
niemand kann sie ermessen:
So groß, o großer Gott, du bist,
so groß ist auch zu aller Frist
bei dir die Gnad und Güte.

5 Die hast du keinem nie versagt,
weil diese Welt gestanden:
Wer dir vertraut und nicht verzagt,
wird nimmermehr zu Schanden.
Ich bitt, ich fleh, ich schrei, ich ruf,
auf deine Gnad ich wart und hoff:
ach, laß mich Gnade finden!

6 Jetzt denk ich an die schönen Wort,
aus deinem Mund ergangen,
die ich mit Freuden hab gehört,
da du sprichst mit Verlangen:
Du hast, o Mensch, mit vielen oft
gehalten zu und unverhofft
mir deine Seel entführet:

7 Doch komm, bereu was du gethan,
laß fremde Buhlen fahren,
ich will dich wieder nehmen an
und deine Seel bewahren.
Bei diesem Wort ergreif ich dich,
un d komm zu dir, glaub festiglich,
du wirst mich auch annehmen.

8 Denn ich bin eben diese Seel,
die andern nachgesprungen,
und sich von dir, Immanuel,
in allen Schlamm gedrungen:
Ich habe fremde Lust gesucht,
die doch zu trösten nicht vermocht,
die wie ein Rauch verschwindet.

9 Ich bin das ungerathne Kind,
das sich von dir gewendet
und mit dem frechen Weltgesind
sein Erbteil hat verspendet,
dich als des Lebens Brot ohn Scheu
hintangesetzt und wie die Säu
mit Träabern sich gefüllet.

10 Ich habe dir oft widerstrebt,
gefolget meinen Lüsten,
und den Begierden nachgelebt,
die, was recht ist, verwüsten.
Das höchste Gut hab ich veracht,
auf dies, was zeitlich ist, gedacht
und in der Welt hoch pranget.

11 Darum so muß ich nackt und bloß
in meinem Elend sterben:
Ich kann mir meines Vaters Schloß
durch mich selbst nicht erwerben;
ich muß verfaulen nach dem Tod,
in meinem eignen Mist und Koth,
gleichwie das Vieh verfaulet.

12 Doch aber bitt ich dich, aus Gnad
wollst du nicht mehr gedenken,
was ich geübt für Frevelthat,
ins Meer wollst du sie senken.
Die Sünd erlaß, die Straf abführ,
ein neues Herze schaff in mir
um deines Sohnes willen.


No comments: