04 November 2010

O Gott, mein Herr, sei mir gnädig (Ps. LVI)

Here is my translation of the psalm paraphrase “O Gott, mein Herr, sei mir gnädig” (H. Sachs), titled, The LVI. Psalm, Miserere mei Deus quoniam. It is a more or less plain rendering of the text without any overt Christological exposition. The melody seems to have been “Es ist das Heil uns kommen her” or “Nun freut euch, lieben Christen gmein,” though I think the 1537 tune for Psalm 124, “Wär Gott nicht mit uns diese Zeit,” would work well, too.


O GOD, show me Thy graciousness,
For men would soon destroy me;
All day my foes my soul oppress,
They vex me and annoy me!
They wage their war with pride and lust;
When I’m afraid, in Thee I trust,
O God, Thy Word extolling.

2. To God my hope is clinging tight;
What harm can flesh do to me?
All day against my words they fight,
Their thoughts always pursue me,
To do me evil, as they lurk,
Conspiring in some wicked work,
My every step attending.

3. They lie in wait, my soul to fell,
Their strife has no abating.
In wrath, O God, cast down to hell
This people without waiting!
Count up my wand’rings, Lord, and keep
My tears within Thy bottle deep,
Then will my foes be turning.

4. When I shall call on Thee in need,
My grief I’ll be dismissing
For Thou wilt be my God indeed!
God’s Word I will be praising,
That Word, the Lord’s, I do adore,
In God I trust and fear no more.
Oh, what can man do to me?

5. My vows I must perform to Thee,
O God, and thanks will render!
For Thou from death hast rescued me,
Thou hast been my Defender,
And kept my feet from falling aye,
That in the light of life I may
Before my God walk ever.

Translation © Matthew Carver, 2010.

GERMAN
1. O Gott, mein Herr, sei mir gnädig!
die Menschen mich versenken,
Streiten täglich und drängen mich,
mein Feind mich täglich kränken!
Viel streiten stöltzlich wider mich,
wenn ich mich fürcht, hoff ich auf dich,
Gottes Wort will ich rühmen.

2. Auf Gott so will ich hoffen tun,
was sollt dann Fleisch mir schaden?
Täglich mein Wort sie fechten an,
ihr Gemüt ist beladen,
Daß sie mir übels tun darauf,
lauren und halten sie zuhauf,
haben Acht auf mein Fersen.

3. Aufdaß sie erhaschen mein Seel,
man hilft ihn ihr Untate:
Gott, stoß solch Leute in die Höll,
zornig hinunter drate!
Zähl meine Flucht und fasse auch
meine Zeher in deinen Schlauch,
dann wärn mein Feind umkehret.

4. Wenn ich dich anruf in der Not,
so will ich Sorgen nimmen,
dann du bist wahrhaftig mein Gott!
Gottes Wort wil ich rühmen,
Ich will rühmen des Herren Wort,
auf Gott hoff ich und fürcht nicht fort,
was will ein Mensch mir tune?

5. Ich hab gelübt dir tan, mein Gott,
die ich mit Dank bezahle!
Dann du hast mein Seel von dem Tod
erretted überalle,
und mein Füß vom Schlüpfen alltag,
aufdaß ich fröhlich wandern mag
vor Gott im Licht des Lebens.

No comments: