22 November 2021

Jesu, was hat dich getrieben

 Here is my translation of “Jesu, was hat dich getrieben” (L. Laurentii, 1700), his first hymn for the First Sunday in Advent, on Jesus’ entrance to Jerusalem. Additionally, below, I include the final version of the incomplete Borthwick / Findlater translation available in Hymns from the Land of Luther (1855 ff.). (My translation was made independently of this version.) The melody is “Seele, laß die Speise stehen.” For this, we find a two strains in Zahn, all from a later source (Dretzel), though he the first in a Bavarian MS a century earlier. Kümmerle explains this a little. Thus we may take the first melody as that most likely intended by Laurentius. The Geistlicher Liederschatz appoints the more familiar “Herr, ich habe mißgehandelt” (see “Lord, to Thee I Make Confession.”)

 

 



JESUS, what compelled Thy going
To Jerusalem this day?
Surely ’twas Thy love, hot-glowing
Suffered not Thy foot to stay.
So Thou goest, that in wonder,
I may go to Salem yonder.

2 Jesus! then, with ardor fitting,
Let me love Thy way the more,
Which is in Thy Scripture written.
Grant no foe, nor guile, nor pow’r
From the path of faith to turn me,
Howsoe’er they beat or burn me.

3 Draw Thou to my spirit nearer,
As Thou didst Jerusalem,
And I’ll count no riches dearer,
Though I be poor Bethlehem.
Thou Thy steps to me addressing,
I will live in Salem’s blessing.

4 To the world Thou, Lord, hast sent me
Like Thy twelve disciples here;
Oh, then let Thy love be lent me,
Let my heart to Thee draw near,
That, as due, I be fulfilling,
Dearest Jesus, all Thy willing!

5 Let me go with joy when bidden,
When and whither Thou wilt send,
Searching not the ending hidden,
Let me all to Thee commend,
To Thy biddings having hearkened,
Though Thy counsel yet be darkened.

6 Let me, Lord, ascribe all glory
To Thy deep humility
Not in word or outward story,
But in deed—make me like Thee,
Humble toward both foe and fellow,
Loving, gen’rous, meek, and mellow.

7 Jesus, if I must surrender
These my clothes, to honor Thee,
Or give up all wealth and splendor
For Thy Law and doctrine free,
Oh! in grief lend patience ever,
Grant that woes may part us never.

8 Then will I both eve and morning
Glad Hosannas to Thee raise,
With glad off’rings Thee adorning,
Heart and lips and deed in praise,
Lord, hosanna! I adore Thee,
Hear the pray’rs I lay before Thee!


Translation © 2021 Matthew Carver.


GERMAN

1 Jesu, was hat dich getrieben,
Nach Jerusalem zu geh'n?
Ach, dein heiß entflammtes Lieben
Läßet dich nicht stille stehn;
du gehst, daß ich werd' erhoben
ins Jerusalem dort oben.

2 Laß mich wieder herzlich lieben
deine Weg, o Jesu Christ!
die dein Wort mir vorgeschrieben;
laß nicht Feind, Gewalt, noch List
mich vom Glaubenswege leiten,
Sollt ich bis aufs Blut gleich streiten.

3 Nahe dich zu meiner Seelen,
Wie du zu Jerusalem,
So kann mir kein Reichtum fehlen
Bin ich gleich ein Bethlehem,
Wenn du bist bei mir zugegen,
So leb ich in Salems Segen.

4 Weil du mich, wie deine Jünger,
Hast auch in die Welt gesandt;
Ach, so sei mein Herzbezwinger,
daß es dir bleib zugewandt;
In Gehorsam deinen Willen,
Liebster Jesu, zu erfüllen.

5 Laß mich gern und willig gehen,
Wenn und wo du sendest mich,
und nicht auf den Ausgang sehen,
sondern lassen walten dich,
und das tun, was mir befohlen,
ob mir gleich der Rat verhohlen.

6 Laß mich deine Demut preisen
nicht mit Worten noch mit Schein,
sondern in der Tat erweisen,
daß ich, wie du, möge sein,
gegen jedermann demütig,
liebreich, milde, sanft und gütig.

7 Soll ich, Jesu, dir zu Ehren,
meine Kleider ziehen aus,
und um dein Gebot und Lehren
gar verlassen Hof und Haus,
ach, so gib Gedult im Leiden,
und laß uns daß Kreuz nicht scheiden.

8 So will ichi mit Freuden singen
Hosianna früh und spaht,
und mein Freudenopfer bringen
dir mit Herzen, Mund und Tat;
Hosianna in der Höhe,
Höre, Jesu, was ich flehe!


FINDLATER’S TRANSLATION

1  Jesus! what was that which drew Thee

To Jerus’lem’s ancient gate?

Ah! the love that burned so truly

Would not suffer Thee to wait!

On Thou journeydst, thus securing

Me a city more enduring.

 

3 To my spirit, now, draw nearer,

Lord! as to Jerusalem!

Let each moment prove Thee dearer,

Make this heart a Bethlehem!

Thus my Saviour’s love possessing,

Surely I have Salem’s blessing.

 

4 To the wor-ld Thou hast sent me,

Like the twelve that saw Thy face;

Lead me through the journey gently,

Keep me near Thee by Thy grace,

My allotted work fulfilling,

Ever ready, ever willing.

 

5 Let me gladly see my calling,

When and where Thou sendest me,

Never into darkness falling,

Gazing on futurity;

But obey when Thou hast bidden,

Though Thy counsel should be hidden.

 

6 Let me follow Thee, my Savior,

Not with words or empty show;

Let my heart, my life, behavior,

Prove Thy presence here below.

Meekly with the froward bearing,

And each brother’s burden sharing!

 

7 O my Lord! if Thou shouldst ever

Call me desolate to roam

For Thy truth and conscience sever

Every tie of house and home,—

Robbed of ev’ry other blessing,

I am rich, Thy love possessing!

 

8 So shall I, hosannas singing,

All the desert-way rejoice;

Late and early, praises bringing,

Though with often falt’ring voice,—

Yet my feeble notes ascending,

With the strains of heav’n are blending!

Tr. J. L. Borthwick / S. L. Findlater, alt.

No comments: