09 March 2010

Not a hymn

This is a folk song about Lutheran hymns. It's to warm you up for singing a Lutheran hymn, but it is not a hymn, so you must be sure to finish singing it before church. If you're unfamiliar with folksong style, you have to adjust the notation slightly as you go along to fit the syllables. In this respect instinct is more practical than analysis. Note: slight bit of irony included. I'D RATHER be singing a Lutheran hymn Than any earthly thing. All poetry else is paltry and thin, And so I'd rather sing… Refrain: :: A Lutheran hymn, a Lutheran hymn, that's what I'd rather sing! :: 2. I'd rather be singing a Lutheran hymn Than any earthly thing. A Lutheran hymn is filled to the brim With Christ's own comforting. Refrain 3. So why am I wasting my time with this song? My vocal cords are cold! So warm up yours, too, and follow along, We'll sing with voices bold… Refrain x 2.

3 comments:

Walter said...

Matt o.m.goodness gracious ! Your brain deserves a break in this hot&humid summer.

Matt Carver (Matthaeus Glyptes) said...

You got that right, Walter.

Amberg said...

Yes! Yes! I can't wait to drink a beer with you and sing this!