11 March 2010

O Herr, wend deinen Zorn von mir

Here is my translation of the psalm paraphrase “O Herr, wend deinen Zorn von mir” (J. Geletzki, 1566), really a paraphrase rather than a metrical version of Psalm 6, with some fairly clear references to Christ. The melody is the proper hypodorian one, here as found in the Boh. Breth. Kirchengeseng (1580). I include a second version which I have transposed down a couple steps to avoid the high g (and f).


LORD, TURN Thy wrath away from me!
A sinner poor, I cry Thee,
Rebuke me not in anger’s heat,
Console me with Thy message sweet,
Have mercy, Lord my God, and heed
My anguish in this hour of need,
And hearken to my feeble song:
Alas, my Lord, my God, how long?
Oh, hasten to heal my soul,
And through Thy Son, Lord, make me whole.

2. Return, O Lord, Thy grace betide,
See how my soul is terrified:
Deliver me, Thy life impart,
And quicken my afflicted heart.
For who in death recalls Thy name,
Or rightly can Thy praise acclaim?
And who gives thanks to Thee in hell,
When torments round about him swell?
Have mercy, O Lord, on me!
And free me from hell’s agony!

3. With weariness I fail and faint
From ceaseless groaning and complaint,
I have in sorrow drowned my bed,
My couch is wet with tears of dread.
My body is consumed away,
With grief it waxes old and gray.
My soul by wrath is torn and tossed:
Except God save me, all is lost.
Fly, all ye who work your ill!
The Lord Himself my need shall fill.

4. For He received my earnest plea,
And turned His wrath away from me.
An answer to my pray’r He gave,
Through Jesus Christ, my soul to save,
And made my every foe to be
Turned back and frightened suddenly,
They lie confounded and undone
By God’s right hand, His dearest Son.
Eternal God, to Thee be praise,
For all the riches of Thy grace!

Translation © Matthew Carver, 2010.

GERMAN
1. O HErr, wend deinen Zorn von mir,
ich armer Sünder schrei zu dir,
ach, straf mich nicht in deinem Grimm,
tröst mich durch deines Wortes Stimm.
Sei mir gnädig, O Herre Gott,
in dieser meiner Angst und NOth,
darin ich lieg ganz schwach und krank,
ach, mein Herr und mein Gott, wie lang?
O heil mich zu dieser Stund,
mach mich durch deinen Sohn gesund.

2. Wend dich zu mir, o lieber Herr,
denn mein Seel ist erschrocken sehr,
errette sie durch deine Güt,
erquicke mein betrübt Gemüt.
Denn im Tod denkt man deiner nicht,
auch lobt man dich nicht im Gericht:
wer will dir danken in der Höll,
und wo man leidet grosse Quäl?
O mein Herr, erbarm dich mein,
erlös mich von der Höllen Pein.

3. Ich bin ganz müd und ohne Macht,
von großen Seufzen Tag und Nacht,
ich schwemm in solchen Leid mein Bett,
und nätz mit ihrn meins Legers Stätt.
Verfallen ist meins Leibs Gestalt,
für Trauern ist sie worden alt,
ich werd geängst von Gottes Zorn,
wo Gott nicht hilft, so ists verlorn.
Weicht all die ihr übels thut,
Gott macht selbst meine Sachen gut.

4. Denn er hört meines Weinens Stimm,
und wendet von mir seinen Grimm:
er nimmt mein Bitt und Flehen an,
durch Christum seinen lieben Sohn.
Daher werden all meine Feind
erschreckt und plötzlich abgeleint,
sie werden allesamt zu Schand
durch Gottes meines HErren Hand.
Lob sei dir, ewiger Gott,
für solche Hilf und reiche Gnad. (Amen.)

No comments: