30 November 2009

Es sind doch selig alle, die

Here is my translation of “Es sind doch selig alle, die” (M. Greiter, 1525), usually given as a paraphrase of the 119th psalm, though it only goes through verse 17 really. It is appointed by Ludecus (1589) for Advent I, Epiph. 5, Trinity IV, and All Saints. The melody, which is proper to the present text, later acquires many other names, such as “Ach unser Vater, der du bist,” “Komm, heilger Geist, o Gottes Salb,” and most famously, “O Mensch, bewein dein Sünde groß.”


HOW BLEST are all the souls that stay
Upon the true and faithful way,
In God’s commands abiding;
They all are blest that truly fear
And keep His testimonies near,
With longing and confiding.
For workers of iniquity
Walk not as God’s true progeny,
But stray from His direction
Oh, Lord our God, Thou hast decreed
That we must keep Thy law indeed
With pious recollection.

2. O God, direct me every day
That by Thy providence I may
Keep all Thy statutes rightly!
Then shall I never be ashamed
When Thy commands are clearly framed
Before my vision brightly.
Thee will I therefore thank and bless
For all Thy truth and righteousness,
Which ever wiser make me;
For I will keep Thy statutes still,
Nor wander from Thy gracious will,
O Lord, do not forsake me!

3. How shall the tender youth improve
The way upon which he doth move?
I seek, pursue, and ponder,
With all my heart Thine every word
So let me not, O God my Lord,
From Thy commandments wander
For whatso words Thy lips impart
I’ve safely hidden in my heart,
Lest I by sin deny Thee,
How blest art Thou, O Lord my God!
Instruct me by Thy grace unflawed,
That I may glorify Thee.

4. I have with lips accordingly
Declared Thy law’s entirety,
With loud and clear confession,
And I rejoice to walk the road
Of all Thy testimonies, God,
Far more than rich possession.
Thy precepts are my utt’rance sure,
When laws of men are all impure;
Thy ways precede and guide me
Thy justice is my true delight,
Thy Word will never leave my sight;
Oh, with Thy grace provide me!

Translation © Matthew Carver, 2009.

GERMAN
1.Es sind doch selig alle, die
Im rechten Glauben wandlen hie,
Im Gsetze Gottes HErren.
Sie sint doch selig alle-sand,
Die sein Zeugnüs vor angen Hand,
Von Herzen ihn begehren.
Dann welches Übeltäter sind,
Die wandlen nit als Gottes-Kind,
Auf seinem Weg nit walten.
Ach, HErre Gott von Himmelreich,
Du hast geboten fleißigleich,
Deine Gebot zu halten.

2. O Gott, das alles Leben mein
Gerichtet würd nach Gfallen dein,
Zu halten deine Rechte!
Denn wurd ich nit zu Schanden gahn,
Wen ich ganz fleissig schauet an
Deine Gebot gar schlechte.
So dank ich dir mit Herzlichkeit
Deine Gerichte und Wahrheit,
die du mich lehrst mit massen.
Dann deine Recht ich halten will
Mit deiner Gnade in der Still.
Herr, thu mich nit verlassen!

3. Wo bessert sich ein Jungling zart
Sein Weg, den wo er sich bewahrt?
Nach deinen Worten allen
Hab ich von ganzem Herzen mein
Gesucht, o HErr Gott, laß mich sein
Nit von dein Gboten fallen,
So hab ich doch die Rede dein
Verborgen in mein Herz hinein,
Das ich vor dir nit sünde.
Gebenedeit du HErre Gott!
Lehr mich durch dein Gnet ohne Spott,
Daß ich dein Recht verkünde.

4. Nun hab ich mit den Lefzen mein
Alle Gericht des Mundes dein
Bekennet und erzählet.
Im Weg deiner Zeugnüs, o HErr,
mit Lust zu wandlen hab ich mehr
Denn all Reichtum erwählet.
In deim Befehl red ich allein.
Wann Menschen Gsetz sint gar nit rein;
Ich schau auf deine Pfade.
Nach deinem Rechten luest mich vil,
Dein Wort ich nit verlassen wil.
Verleih mir dein Genade.

No comments: