14 March 2019

Herr Jesu Christ, ich schrei zu dir

Here is my translation of the Cross and Comfort hymn “Herr Jesu Christ, ich schrei zu dir” (Anon., 1627); according to Fischer, Kirchenlieder-Lexicon, it is based on Isaiah 26:16 and originally consists of 12 stanzas, set to the tune “Aus tiefer Not” and published in Clauder’s Cantica nova (Altenburg,1627). The additional stanza 13 and 14 were written by Jeremias Weber and first published in Leipzig, 1638. The appointed tune in most sources available to the translator is either “Wo Gott der Herr nicht bei uns hält” or “Herr Jesu Christ, du höchstes Gut.” J. S. Bach uses the latter in BWV 48. A shortened version consisting of stanzas 1, 4, 5, and 11 gained some popularity.





LORD Jesus Christ, I cry to Thee
With soul o’erwhelmed by anguish;
Make known Thy mighty pow’r to me,
Nor leave me thus to languish!
Far more are all the stings and woes
Which strike my heart with ceaseless blows,
Than I have pow’r to number.

2 Lord Jesus Christ, Thy pity lend,
Thy mercy let me borrow;
Low for my comfort kindly bend,
To save me from this sorrow
In which my mind lies as one dead;
For if Thou help not, hope is fled—
It can no balm discover.

3 Lord Jesus Christ, great is the need
In which I now am lying.
Sleep not, dear God, but come with speed,
Arise, and hear my sighing!
For there is none to help or mend,
No creature can my cause defend
To none can I lament it.

4 Lord Jesus Christ, my Life Thou art
My hope’s foundation solely;
Into Thy hands with all my heart
I will commend me wholly.
O Lord, let not my hope in Thee
By anything confounded be,
Or I am most forsaken.

5 Lord Jesus Christ, God’s very Son,
In Thee my trust abideth;
Thou art the Mercy-seat alone,
Whoe’er in Thee confideth,
Thou art with him in ev’ry need,
In life and death his help and aid;
Here is my heart well-grounded.

6 Lord Jesus Christ, a gracious eye
Turn to Thy poor creation;
For Thy five wounds do not deny
My pray’r and supplication,
Which day and night in misery
My wretched heart pours out to Thee.
Oh, let it stir Thy pity!

7 Lord Jesus Christ, when comes the hour
That Thy will may decree me,
Then in Thy mercy by Thy pow’r
From all afflictions free me.
My enemies assaults destroy,
Who are for me too strong and sly;
Nor suffer them to crush me.


8 Lord Jesus Christ, I now commend
My brethren to Thy favor;
In soul and body them attend
And keep them safe ever:
Protect them by Thy mercy great,
And turn to joy my sorrow’s weight
Which I lament before Thee.

9 Lord Jesus Christ, I know no way
To break my grief asunder,
Unless in grace Thou help convey,
While here on earth I wander;
Therefore if it shall please Thee best
With torments still to strike my breast,
Then with Thy strength uphold me!

10 Lord Jesus Christ, give patience bold,
Help me my cross to carry:
Do not Thy gracious love withhold,
And if Thou wilt not spare me,
Then plague my flesh with temp’ral woes,
But give my wretched soul repose,
To dwell with Thee hereafter.

11 Lord Jesus Christ, this I believe
With all my heart and reason;
Thou wilt my faithful cry receive
When comes the fitting season;
For Thou hast ne’er forsaken me
Whenever I have called to Thee;
This comforts me most truly.

12 Lord Jesus Christ, sole comfort Thou,
To Thee myself commending,
I know Thou know’st my suff’ring now,
And Thou wilt bring its ending;
Then to Thy will I am resigned
Dear God, do what is in Thy mind;
I’m Thine, yea, Thine forever.

13 Lord Jesus Christ, bedew my sighs
Which I pour out so often,
With Thy dear blood, to pierce the skies
The Father’s heart to soften;
So may Thy blood His favor gain,
And He withdraw all grief and pain
Which threaten to divide us.

14 Lord Jesus Christ, Thy help supply
To ev’ry soul afflicted;
Seek all who now anguish lie,
By cords of grief restricted;
Relieve them with a mighty hand,
That here and in the Fatherland
They ever may adore Thee.

Translation © 2019 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN

Herr Jesu Christ, ich schrei zu dir,
aus hochbetrübter Seele:
dein Allmacht laß erscheinen mir
und mich nicht also quäle;
viel grösser ist die Angst und Schmerz,
so anficht und turbiert mein Herz,
als daß ichs kann erzählen.

2 Herr Jesu Christ, erbarm dich mein
durch deine große Güte:
mit Trost und Rettung jetzt erschein
meim traurigen Gemüte,
welchs elendiglich wird geplagt,
und so du nicht hilfst, gar verzagt,
weils keinen Trost kann finden.

3 Herr Jesu Christ, groß ist die Not,
darin ich jetzt tu stecken:
Ach hilf, mein allerliebster Gott,
schlaf nicht, laß dich erwecken,
niemand ist, der mir helfen kann
kein Kreatur sich mein nimmt an:
ich darfs auch niemand klagen.

4 Herr Jesu Christ, du bist allein
mein Hoffnung und mein Leben:
drum will ich in die Hände dein
mich ganz und gar ergeben:
O Herr, laß meine Zuversicht,
auf dich, zu Schanden werden nicht,
sonst bin ich ganz verlassen.

5 Herr Jesu Christe, Gottes Sohn
zu dir steht mein Vertrauen:
du bist der rechte Gnadentron,
wer nur auf dich tut bauen,
dem stehst du bei in aller Not,
hilfst ihm im Leben und im Tod;
darauf ich mich verlasse.

6 Herr Jesu Christ, das Elend mein
tu gnädiglich ansehen:
durch die heilig fünf Wunden dein,
hör mein Gebet und stehen,
welchs Tag und Nacht, mit Angst und Schmerz,
zu dir ausgießt mein traurigs Herz.
Ach! laß dichs doch erbarmen.

7 Herr Jesu Christ, wann es ist Zeit,
nach deinem Wohlgefallen,
hilf mir durch dein Barmherzigkeit,
aus meinen Ängsten allen.
Zerstör den Anschlag meiner Feind,
die mir zu stark und mächtig seind:
laß mich nicht underdrücken.

8 Herr Jesu Christ, ich weiß kein Rat,
dies Elend los zu werden,
so du nicht hilfst durch deine Gnad,
so lang ich leb auf Erden:
wann es denn dir nun je gefällt,
daß ich also soll sein gequält,
so gib mir Kraft und Stärke.

9 Herr Jesu Christ, verleih Geduld,
hilf mir mein Kreuz ertragen:
Wend nicht von mir ab deine Huld,
und so du mich willst plagen,
es zeitlich hie am Leibe tu,
gib nur der armen Seelen Ruh,
daß sie dort mit dir lebe.

10 Herr Jesu Christ, das glaub ich doch
aus meines Herzen Grunde:
du wirst mich wohl erhören noch,
zu rechter Zeit und Stunde:
denn du hast mich noch nie verlan,
wenn ich dich hab geruffen an,
des ich mich herzlich tröste.

11 Herr Jesu Christ, einiger Trost,
zu dir will ich mich wenden:
mein Herzleid ist dir wohl bewußt,
du kannst und wirst es enden;
in deinen Willn sei es gestellt,
machs, lieber Gott, wie dirs gefällt,
dein bin und will ich bleiben.

12 Herr Jesu Christ, die Seufzer mein,
so ich vor dir tu bringen,
besprenge mit dem Blute dein,
damit sie hindurch dringen,
und erweichen das Vaterherz,
daß er abwend all Angst und Schmerz,
die mich von dir will trennen.

13 Herr Jesu Christ, mit Hilf erschein
allen, allen Elenden,
die jetzt in großen Ängsten sein,
tu dich zu ihnen wenden,
mit starker Hand heraus sie reis,
davor sie dir dort Lob und Preis
ewiglich sagen werden.

No comments: