22 September 2015

Herr des Sabbaths, dein Gesetze

Here is my translation of the hymn “Herr des Sabbaths, dein Gesetze” (Benjamin Schmolck, †1737). It is given in the Gotha hymnal for Trinity XVII and is clearly based on the Gospel. The appointed tune in the Gotha hymnal (1729) is “Liebe die du mich zum Bilde.” This could have meant any number of tunes. A common tune associated with Scheffler’s text now is “Darmstadt” or Komm, o komm, du Geist des Lebens.






 

LORD and Master of the Sabbath,
Thou hast made the day of rest,
And decreed this blessed habit,
With Thy Word to fill our breast,
Willing that we thus may be
From all other labor free.

2 Is Thy Law no longer binding?
How should I regard this test,
Thee in blessed business finding,
Not by merely being guest,
But by lab’ring in Thy plan
To relieve the ailing man?

3 Well I know these works behooved Thee,
Righteous, holy they must be;
Love and need it was that moved Thee
To this blest activity.
That no Sabbath breaks indeed
Which is done for love and need.

4 Grant me rightly this to ponder
And, at ev’ry feast of Thine,
To attend Thy works of wonder
With a heart for things divine,
That my worship may not be
Works of men and vanity.

5 Let the soul be firstly sated,
Ere the body take its bread,
Heal me in the manner stated,
Stand, Physician, at my bed;
For Thy Word both heals the soul
And can make the body whole.

6 Such a sickness fills my spirit,
For my sinful nature fails,
Dead to any good or merit;
’Tis Thy cure alone avails;
Heal me, touch me with Thy hand,
That I may uprightly stand.

7 Let my love by Thy renewing
To my neighbor be exprest,
Let me grow in all well-doing—
For it were a sinful rest
Such a Sabbath to approve
Idle to the works of love.

8 Let me not be self-exalted
Since Thou dost oppose the proud,
But to live a life unfaulted,
In that lowly meekness bowed,
Which, while in its lowly place,
Yet rejoices in Thy grace.

9 Though the world, most highly seated,
May appoint the depths for me,
I will count myself well treated,
Since they did the same to Thee;
Thou wilt bid me at the end:
“Come, move higher up, My friend!”

Translation © 2015 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN

1 Herr des Sabbaths, dein Gesetze
setzt mir einen Ruhetag,
da ich deines Wortes Schätze
ungestöret sammlen mag,
und will haben, daß er frei
sonst von aller Arbeit sei.

2 Ist denn dein Gebot nicht kräftig,
und wie soll ich es verstehn?
seh ich dich doch selbst geschäftig,
nicht allein zu Gaste gehn,
sondern auch im Werke sein,
einen Kranken zu befrein.

3 Doch ich sehe deine Taten
als gerecht und heilig an.
Lieb und Not hat dir geraten,
was du damals hast getan:
denn das bricht den Sabbath nicht,
was aus Lieb und Not geschicht.

4 Laß mich dieses recht bedenken,
und, so oft dein Tag erscheint,
dir ein solches Herze schenken,
welches dich rechtschaffen meint;
daß mein Gottesdienst nicht sei
Menschentand und Heuchelei.

5 Gib zuvor der Seelen Speise,
eh der Leib sein Brot geneußt,
heile mich in gleicher Weise,
weil du Artzt und Helfer heißt:
denn ein Wort durch deinen Mund
machet Leib und Seel gesund.

6 Ich bin geistlich wassersüchtig,
meine sündliche Natur
ist zu keinem Guten tüchtig:
ach, nimm mich in deine Cur,
greif mit deiner Hand mich an,
daß ich wieder wandeln kann.

7 Aber laß auch meine Liebe
meinem Nächsten Gutes tun,
daß ich mich im Wohltun übe;
denn das hieße sündlich Ruhn,
einen Sabbat zu begehn
und im Lieben müßig stehn.

8 Gib, daß ich mich nicht erhebe,
denn du bist der Hofart feind;
sondern in der Demut lebe,
die ihr selbst geringe scheint,
doch in ihrer Niedrigkeit
deiner Gnade sich erfreut.

9 Will die Welt sich oben setzen,
stellt mich aber unten an,
so kann ich mich glücklich schätzen,
weil sie dir es auch getan.
Dorten folgt die Stimme drauf:
Komme, Freund, und rück hinauf.

No comments: