03 June 2010

Nun höret zu, ihr Christenleut

Here is my translation of the hymn “Nun höret zu, ihr Christenleut” (H. Witzstadt von Wertheim, 1526), a repentance hymn built on the conceit of the flesh's conflict with the soul, based on an profane song using the conceit of a debate between the Boxwood and the Willow. Hence the song's original title: "A Spiritual Boxwood Song: Of the Body's Conflict Against the Spirit." Appearing in the hymnals of Babst (1545) and the Boh. Brethren (1566), the hymn was also appointed by Ludecus (1589) for the first Sunday after Holy Trinity. Three melodies have been used with it. The first I give is that of the Bohemian Brethren; the second, from Neiß (both apparently based on the old Boxwood Song tune) and the third from another song called the Linden Tree, which seems to have been the source for "Kommt her zu mir." Here is a very slow abc version of the Boxwood tune as found in the Babst Gesangbuch. Here is a quicker verison of the same tune from an 18th century source.




O CHRISTIAN people, now give ear,
Attend in phrases plain and clear
How soul and body quarrel here!
Their struggle has no ending
Till they apart are wending.

2. The body says, I’m sound of state,
Still many a happy day await,
Before my years in grief abate.
In joy I’ll spend life’s measure
Pursuing fleshly pleasure.

3. The soul replies, Of this I warn!
Oh, sense ye not God’s judgment stern?
Thou hast in Thy baptism sworn,
The will of God to follow,
Or was that pledge but hollow?

4. The body says, That’s well and fine,
But I prefer my friends and wine,
And acting merry as a swine,
With songs and jigs and dances,
I’ll gladly take my chances.

5. The soul replies, Avoid the cost
The rich man paid for earthly lust,
His wealth and riches turned to dust,
His body cold was buried,
His soul to hell was carried.

6. The body says, What do I care?
I have yet many a day to spare
Before to God I need repair,
And turn and cease from sinning,
And make a new beginning.

7. The soul replies, Thou hast not pow’r!
For be thou bud or fading flow’r,
God well may take thee any hour
Some time thou wilt be bidden,
Though now to eye ’tis hidden.

8. The body says, From morn to eve,
The worldly throngs around me weave,
And do but earthly goods perceive:
Theirs too will be my striving,
Till death shall be arriving.

9. The soul replies, It will not fail,
That you and I must bid farewell
What then will all thy greed avail?
To ashes art thou fated,
From earth thou wast created.

10. The body says, Thou giv’st me fright,
Oh, now I long for heav’n’s delight!
Christ, help me to repent aright,
With grief my greed to smother,
And turn to God the Father,

11. The soul replies, I speak no jest,
God wants a crushed and broken breast!
The body must to death be pressed,
It is a temp’ral creature,
The food of worms by nature.

12. The body says, O God, grant peace!
O Christ, from sin give me release!
O Holy Ghost, my faith increase;
Strength for affliction give me,
And in Thy bliss relieve me.

13. The soul says, Now my joy I see,
A worthless servant though I be!
God, Thou art just eternally;
As hell and death assail me,
Lord, let Thy death avail me.

14. Now as our hymn at last is done:
God grant that we our sins may own,
Rely on Christ the Lord alone,
And find in Him, our Savior,
True blessedness forever.

Translation © Matthew Carver, 2010.

GERMAN
1. Nun höret zu, ihr Christenleut,
wie Leib und Seel gegnander streit:
Allhie auf Erd in dieser Zeit
han sie ein stetigs Kriegen,
eins mag vom andern fliegen.

2. Der Leib, der spricht, Ich bin gesund,
Ich hab noch viel der guten Stund
eh mir das traurig Alter kummt
willi ch in Freuden leben,
nach leiblich Lusten streben.

3. Die Seele spricht, Ich rath dirs nicht!
Ach, forschst du nicht Gotts strengs Gericht?
Du hast dich in der Tauf verpflicht,
nach gottes Willn zu leben,
seim Wort nicht widerstreben.

4. Der Leib spricht, Ich bin stolz und fein
mit guten Gsellen beim kühlen Wein.
Da will ich frisch und fröhlich sein
mit Singen, Springen, Tanzen,
wills wagen auf die Schanzen!

5. Die Seele spricht, Denk an Reichen Mann,
der sich nahm zeitlichs Wollusts an!
Der mußt mit Leib und Seel darvon,
ward in die Höll begraben,
als Christus selbst tut sagen.

6. Der Leib spricht, Was acht ich der Sach!
ich hab vor mir noch manchen Tag,
darinn ich mich wohl bessern mag
und mich von Sünden kehren,
wenn sich mein Trauern thut mehren.

7. Die Seel spricht, Du hast dein kein Gwalt,
du seiest gleich jung oder alt,
Gott hat dich in eim Augenblick gefallt,
den Abend und den Morgen,
die Stund ist dir verborgen.

8. Der Leib spricht, Es sei früh oder spat,
ich siehe vor mir die weltlich Rott,
ein jeder tracht nach zeitlichem Rath,
darnach willi ch auch streben,
die weil ich hab das Leben.

9. Die Seel spricht, Es kummt die Zeit,
das Leib und Seel vonander scheidt:
Was hilft dich dann dein grosser Geit?
du must zu Aschen werden,
dann du bist gemacht aus Erden.

10. Der Leib der spricht, Du machst mir bang.
Erst mich nach ewiger Freud verlangt!
Christus helf mir zum Angefang,
daß mich zum Vater b’kehren,
mein Trauern will sich mehren.

11. Die Seel die spricht, Ich treib kein Scherz,
Gott fordert ein zerknürstes Herz!
Der Leib muß hie absterben durch Schmerz,
dann er ist zeitlich geboren,
den Würmen auserkoren.

12. Der Leib der spricht, O Gott, mein Herr,
hilf, daß ich mich durch Christum b’kehr!
O heiliger Geist, mein Glauben mehr!
Hilf mirs zeitlich erleiden,
mich tröst in ewiger Freuden!

13. Die Seele spricht, Nun hab ich recht,
wiewohl ich bin ein unnütz Knecht.
O Gott, du bist allein gerecht.
Lös mich vons Teufels Banden,
drum du am Kreuz bist ghangen!

14. Also hat dieses Lied ein End.
Gott wollt, daß jeder sein Herz erkennt
und sich von Sünden zu Christo wendt;
so würd er zu uns kehren,
die ewig Freud bescheren.

No comments: