17 September 2012

O Gott, ich tu dirs klagen

Here is my translation of the repentance & confession hymn “O Gott, ich tu dirs klagen” (David Spaiser, 1609), originally titled “A dialogue of the poor Sinner with God.” It is to be distinguished from the similarly titled “Ach Gott, ich muß dirs klagen” or “Ach Gott, wem soll ichs klagen” by Franciscus Rhodius. The appointed melody, a contrafact on a secular melody, made its first appearance for sacred use in Spaiser’s Vier und Zwainzig Geistliche Lieder (1609) in conjunction with this text; the tune is more widely known as “Ist Gott für mich, so trete,” though this is an anachronism, since that text was not published until much later. Therefore the proper name of the tune should be “O Gott, ich tu dirs klagen.”


(Sinner:) O GOD, my plaint I bring Thee,
My heart is full of pain.
(Father:) Then let not doubting sting thee,
But tell thy sorrow plain.
(Sinner:) My conscience is offended,
It pricks me grievously!
(Father:) Thy breach may yet be mended,
Take heart, nor timid be.

2. (Sinner:) Alas, the dread conviction
Of all my sins I see!
(Father:) Speak forth, though much affliction
And pain it causes thee.
(Sinner:) Dear Lord, what grief I’ve brought Thee,
My heart’s remorse but view!
(Father:) Then keep what I have taught Thee;
My grace each day is new.

3. (Sinner:) Ah! Lord, in grace behold me,
Have mercy now on me!
(Father:) Come let My arms enfold thee;
My dear child thou shalt be.
(Sinner:) My heartfelt thanks I give Thee,
My Strength, my Rock in need!
(Father:) ’Tis well, then cease to grieve Me,
And to My Word give heed.

4. This lead thy way and guide it,
Until thy life shall close,
Flee all things else beside it
Which do its truth oppose;
And with thy mouth confess it,
Let nothing frighten thee;
With all My heart I’ll bless it,
So well it pleases Me.

5. (Sinner:) Therefore I pray Thee, Father,
Through Jesus Christ my Lord,
My Help above all other;
Give me thy Spirit good,
That I may do this ever
Until my dying day.
Grant nothing us to sever!
Amen, I duly say!

Translation © 2012 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
1. O Gott, ich tu dirs klagen,
mein Herz steckt voller Pein.
Vater.
Darum wollst nicht verzagen,
Sag an, was mag es sein?
Sünder.
Mein Gwissen tut aufwachen,
das macht mir großen Schmerz.
Vater.
Es ist wohl rath der Sachen,
hab nur ein gutes Herz.

2. Sünder.
Ja, wenn ich hinterdenke
der großen Sünden mein--
Vater.
Sag an, ob dich die kränke
und herzlich leid laßt sein.
Sünder.
Ja freilich, lieber Herre,
hab ich herzliche Reu.
Vater.
So folge meiner Lehre,
mein Gnad ist all Tag neu.

3. Sünder.
Ach Herr, tu dich erbarmen
wohl über mich gar fein.
Vater.
Komm her an meine Armen,
mein liebs Kind sollt du sein.
Sünder.
Deß dank ich dir von Herzen,
mein Stärk und auch mein Hort.
Vater.
Doch mach mir nicht mehr Schmerzen,
Sonder merk auf mein Wort.

4. Dasselbig laß dich leiten
die Zeit des Lebens dein,
fleuch alle Nebenseiten,
die dem zuwider sein;
bekenns auch mit dem Munde,
laß dich nicht schrecken ab:
aus meines Herzen Grunde
ich gfallen an dir hab.

5. Sünder.
So bitt ich dich, mein Vater,
durch Christum allermeist,
der du bist mein Wohltater:
Gib mir dein guten Geist,
damit ichs mög vollenden
bis an das Ende mein,
laß mich nichts von dir wenden;
Amen, sprich ich gar fein.

No comments: