18 June 2024

Mit rechtem Ernſt und fröhlichm Muth

Here is my translation of the psalm paraphrase, “Mit rechtem Ernſt und fröhlichm Muth” (Cornelius Becker, d. 1604), based on Psalm CVIII, with title “Prosperous government . . . A psalm-song of David” and melody assignment “Allein Gott in der Höh sei Ehr.” Stanzas 4–7 identical to the same stanzas of Psalm 60, “Ach Gott, der du vor dieser Zeit.” While comparison of the first part of Psalm 108:1–5 is often made to psalm 57:7–11, this textual similarity was ignored by Becker here, perhaps because it is less similar than the one noted above, and because his version of Psalm 57, “Sei mir gnädig, o Gott mein Herr,” follows the meter (87.87.87.877) of “Christ unser Herr zum Jordan kam.”


 


O GOD, with heart and spirit bold
I’ll sing to Thee this hour,
And pleasant songs for Thee unfold;
O Lord, give me the power
Awake to praise, my psaltery!
In morning-tide I heartily
Will bid my harp be singing!

2 I’ll thank Thee, O my Lord and God,
Within Thy congregation,
And sing Thee glory, praise, and laud
With those of every nation;
Where’er the people gathered be,
There will I sing continually
To Thee, my God, due praises!

3 As far as heavens vast domain,
So is Thy grace extended;
Thy truth and faithfulness retain
O God, the prize most splendid,
And like the clouds with glory shine!
Arise, O God, and show to men
Thy glory far surpassing heav’n
That every land may see it!

4 Lord, by Thy right hand help afford,
Thy people to deliver;
Show that we are by Thee adored
And Thy belovèd ever!
God speaketh in His holy place:
It fills My heart with joy by grace
The land thus to apportion.
    
5 First Shechem and fair Succoth’s vale
I will mete out in measure;
And Gilead and, without fail,
Manasseh, are My treasure;
My head’s great strength is Ephraim,
My prince is Judah. After him,
My washpot is yon Moab.

6 My foot in Edom’s famous ground
I will with God be setting,
And o’er Philistia renowned
My triumph I’ll be getting.
Who’ll bring me to the city there,
With all her walls and towers fair?
Would that I were in Edom!

7 God, wilt not Thou show faithfulness
(Though Thou hast us rejected)
And give us help in our distress,
Nor leave us here neglected?
The help of man is vanity,
Through God we shall do valiantly—
The foe He shall o’erpower.

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Mit rechtem Ernſt und fröhlichm Muth
Wil ich dir, Gott, lobſingen :,:
Und tichten dir ein Liedlein gut,
O Gott, laß wol gelingen,
Wohlauff mein Ehr, mein Pſalterſpiel,
Ich wil früh auff ſeyn in der Still,
Mein Harffe ſoll erklingen.

2  Ich wil dir dancken, Gott mein HErr,
In deiner liebn Gemeine :,:
Da dir die Völcker bringen Ehr,
Zu deinem Lob erſcheinen,
Wo nur verſammlet ſind die Leut,
Da wil ich auch zu jeder Zeit
Dir, meinem Gott, lobſingen.

3  So weit da geht des Himmels Kreis,
Thut auch dein Gnade reichen :,:
Dein Trew und Warheit tregt den Preiß,
Die ſich den Wolcken gleichet,
Erheb dich, Gott, und mach bekannd
Dein Herrligkeit in allem Land,
Die ubern Himmel reichet.

4  Hilff, HERR, durch deine rechte Hand,
Daß wir erledigt werden :,:
Erhör uns bald, erweiß zuhand,
Daß du uns liebſt auff Erden,
GOtt redet in ſeim Heiligthumb,
Das ſchafft meim Hertzen Frewd und Wonn,
Das Land wil ich recht theilen.
    
5  Sichem zuerſt, darnach Suchot,
Das Thal wil ich abmeſſen :,:
Auch Gilead, hoff ich zu Gott,
Iſt mein, wie auch Manaſſe,
Meins Häuptes Macht iſt Ephraim,
Juda mein Fürſt, mein Waſchtöpffin
Die Moabiter bleiben.

6  Mein Fuß ins Edomiterland
Wil ich mit Gott noch ſetzen :,:
Auch die Philiſter wolbekand
Werden mich noch ergetzen,
Wer wil mich führen in die Stadt,
Die groſſe Thürm und Mawren hat?
In Edom wer ich gerne.

7  Wirſtus nicht thun, du trewer Gott,
Der du uns haſt verſtoſſen? :,:
Schaff uns Beyſtand, HErr, in der Noth,
Sonſt ſtehn wir gar verlaſſen,
An Menſchenhülff iſt doch kein Ruhm,
Mit Gott wollen wir Thaten thun,
Er wird die Feind bezwingen.


No comments: