24 June 2024

Dein Wort Herr nicht vergehet (Wohl denen die da wandeln 5/8)

 Here is my translation of the psalm paraphrase “Dein Wort Herr nicht vergehet,” that is, “Wohl denen die da wandeln,” part 5/8 (Cornelius Becker, d. 1604), based on Psalm CXIX, Beati immaculati, 89–112 (lamed-nun), In aeternum Domine, though according to Becker’s form undivided from previous sections, with the same title “Treasure of Christians” and melody “Hilf Gott, daß mirs gelinge.”

 


Lamed ל

45
THY Word, O Lord, remaineth,
It passeth not away,
As far as heav’n attaineth,
Which never still can stay,
Thy truth abides eternally,
Like as the earth’s foundation,
Made firm, O Lord, by Thee.

46 All things, Thy Word obeying,
Abide within their call;
Ne’er from their duty straying,
Thy servants are they all.
Unless Thy Law were my delight,
Then had I long since perished,
In mine affliction quite.

47 Those precepts I will never
Forget, which come from Thee,
For with them dost ever
Restore and quicken me.
Lord, I am Thine and Thou art mine,
Forbear not, then, to save me;
I seek Thy help divine!

48 The foe my way attended
With many a murd’rous plot,
Because I Thee befriended
And fear their counsels not;
I’ve seen an end of everything:
O Lord, Thy Word endureth,
Thou art th’ eternal King.
    
Mem מ

49 I love Thy Law with passion,
Within my heart it lies,
My daily meditation,
My dearest heav’nly prize.
Through Thy commandments I can claim
Than all my foes more wisdom,
Their plans Thou putt’st to shame.

50 Thy Word more learn’d doth make me,
More than all teachers may;
To Thy proofs I betake me
And meditate all day.
By learning none was e’er so old
That he might be mine equal,
Since I Thy precepts hold.

51 My feet I am refraining
From every evil way,
Within Thy Word remaining,
The path that will not stray.
Thus from Thy judgments foolishly
I will not be departing,
Since Thou instructest me.

52 Thy words are to the eater
A taste so rich and fine,
They are than honey sweeter
With sweetness all divine.
Thy Word doth make me wise indeed.
Therefore I hate all false ways
That to deception lead.
    
Nun נ

53 Before my feet is burning
Thy Word, a lamp aglow,
A light without all turning,
The path to life to show.
This have I sworn, and faith possess
That I may keep the judgments,
Lord, of Thy righteousness.

54 I am afflicted sorely
By heavy crosses, Lord!
Thy rest and peace afford me,
According to Thy Word.
Accept the offering, I pray,
Of mouth and heart most willing,
Teach me Thy truth alway.

55 Continually I carry
My soul in hand, and yet
Upon Thy Word I tarry,
Nor will Thy Law forget.
The wicked laid a snare for me,
But I’ll not fall in error
While I Thy precepts see.

56 My heritage forever
Thy testaments let be,
From heartache they deliver
And joyful render me.
My heart I to this purpose bend
To do Thy statutes alway
Before Thee, till the end.

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN

Lamed ל

45  Dein Wort Herr nicht vergehet,
Es bleibet ewiglich
So weit der Himmel gehet,
Der ſtets beweget ſich,
Dein Warheit bleibt in Ewigkeit,
Gleichwie der Grund auff Erden,
Durch deine Hand bereit.

46  Es bleibn nach deinem Worte
All Ding in ihrem Stand
Und gehen immerforte
In deim Dienſt dir zur Hand,
Wenn dein Wort, HERR mein Troſt nicht wer,
Hett ich lengſt müſt vergehen
In meinem Elend ſchwer.

47  Ich wil nimmer vergeſſen
Deinn göttlichen Befehl
Der wird auff allerbeſte
Erquicken meine Seel,
HErr, ich bin dein, und du biſt mein,
Dein Hülff mir nicht verſage,
Wenn ich begere dein.

48  Auff mich lawren die Feinde,
Sie wolln mich bringen umb
Weil ich dich hab zum Freunde
Gantz ohne Furcht ich bin,
Ich hab alls Dings ein End geſehn,
Allein das Wort des HErren
Wird nimmermehr vergehn.
    
Mem מ

49  Für allen mir beliebet
Im Hertzen dein Geſetz
Täglich darin mich übe,
Es iſt mein einigr Schatz,
Ich bin weiſer durch dein Gebot,
Denn alle meine Feinde,
Ihre Kunſt wird zu Spott.

50  Dein Wort macht mich gelehrter,
Als all mein Lehrer ſeyn
Täglich ich mich berede
Von allen Zeugnis dein,
Von Klugheit keiner war ſo alt,
Der mir ſich kunt vergleichen,
Weil dein Gebot ich halt.

51  Mein Füſſen ich ſtets wehre,
Zu gehn den böſen Weg
Nach deines Wortes Lehre
Treff ich den richtign Steg,
Von deinen Rechten weich ich nicht,
So bleib ich unverführet,
Weil du ſelbſt leiteſt mich.

52  Recht wohl muß mir erſpriſſen
Die Red des Mundes dein,
Denn ſie ſchmeckt mir viel ſüſſer
Als Hong und Honigſeim,
Dein Wort macht mich recht weiß und klug,
Drumb haß ich falſche Wege,
Die führen auff Betrug.
    
Nun נ

53  Ein brennende Lucerne
Meinn Füſſen iſt dein Wort
Diß Liecht ſcheint weit und ferne,
Weiſt uns des Lebens Pfort,
Ich hab geſchworn und bin bereit,
Zu halten feſt die Rechte
Deiner Gerechtigkeit.

54  Ich bin gezüchtigt ſehre
Durchs Creutzes ſchwere Laſt
Nach deim Wort lieber HErre,
Schaffe mir Ruh und Raſt,
Las dir gefalln das Opffer mein,
Aus willigm Mund und Hertzen
Lehr mich die Rechte dein.

55  Ich trag mein arme Seele
In meinen Händen ſtets
Deins Worts hab ich kein Heele,
Vergeß nicht dein Geſetz,
Der Gottloß legt mir Strick zum Fall,
Ohn Anſtoß werd ich bleiben,
Wenn dein Geſetz ich halt.

56  Dein Zeugnis ſollen bleiben
Mein Erb in Ewigkeit
Das Hertzleid ſie vertreiben,
Sie ſind mein Wonn und Freud,
Mein Hertz ich neige mit Begier,
Zu thun nach deinem Willen,
Dieweil ich leb für dir.



No comments: