18 June 2024

Herr Gott, des ich mich rühmte viel

Here is my translation of the psalm paraphrase, “Herr Gott, des ich mich rühmte viel” (Cornelius Becker, d. 1604), based on Psalm CIX, Deus laudem meam, with title “Curse upon Judas-brothers . . . A psalm of David to precent” and melody assignment “Ach Gott vom Himmel, sieh darein.”

 


GOD of my praise, my hope and stay
In troubles that offend me,
Why dost Thou hold Thy peace today
And wilt not now defend me?
The mouths of wicked men are wide,
With out cause they me deride,
With lying tongues they slander.

2 They compass me most wickedly
With poisonous dissension,
And say that I shall never flee
Their murderous intention.
Such hatred had I never earned,
My heart for them has always burned
With love and faithful kindness.

3 Such wages from them I receive
Because they deeply hate me,
To me for good they evil give,
And wickedly frustrate me,
Together they my life oppose;
I pray Thee, God, against my foes
Defend my cause and save me!

4 Set over him a wicked band
No wholesome doctrine suff’ring;
Let Satan stand at his right hand,
His soul’s destruction off’ring.
Let those who his instruction hear
Be judged as void of godly fear,
His pray’r as sin consider.

5 His life let suddenly be claimed,
And by swift death forsaken;
And let his office, which he shamed,
Be by another taken;
His wife let wear a widow’s dress,
His children all as fatherless
And vagabonds let wander.

6 His children let a-begging go,
And seek at doors a blessing,
As those in shame who are brought low,
No earthly good possessing;
And if he still have house and land,
Let all fall to the miser’s hand,
And strangers spoil his labor.

7 Let no one unto him extend
An act of kindnesss ever,
Let there be none to be his friend,
Nor show his children favor,
His seed let be clean stripped away,
Their names be blotted out for aye,
Unto the children’s children.

8 So let his sons repay the sin
Committed by their father,
And let his daughters pay again
The misdeeds of their mother.
With God none shall forgotten be
Till from their earth their memory
Is blotted out completely.

9 Because that he remembered not
To the lowly to deliver
But always persecution wrought,
And slew the needy ever.
As he loved cursing, let it come
In turn to him and all his home,
And let them be accursèd!

10 As he the blessing wanted not
So let it be far from him,
He cursing as a garment wrought,
So let it hang upon him,
And be like water deep within,
And in his bones like oil begin
To seep, and fill him wholly.

11 Yea, as a garment let it be—
His curse so vilely worded!—
And as a girdle wherewith he
Continually is girded.
This evil they must suffer all
Who counsel took to make me fall
And sought to make me perish!

12 Lord, grant me Thy deliverance,
For Thy name’s sake, I pray Thee!
Thy grace remains my confidence,
My heart can ne’er betray Thee,
For I am needy, Lord, and poor,
My heart within is wounded sore,
My mind with sorrow grieveth.

13 I’m like the shadow that declines
And soon I must be going,
And like the locust that resigns
To where the wind is blowing,
My knees are weak, my loins are frail
My flesh must soon completely fail
From constant grief and fasting.

14 I must be the reproach and dread
Of all those who pass by me,
They look at me and shake the head,
And for my woes defy me.
Be with me, God of faithfulness,
And save me from my great distress,
According to Thy mercy.

15 Lord, let my foes perceive Thy hand,
And know Thy great salvation,
That Thou canst make the fallen stand
And bring me restoration.
Thou blessest when they only curse,
Thou dost their pride to shame reverse
Who set themselves against me.

16 Thou turn’st Thy servants’ need, O Lord,
To joy that runneth over,
But dost with shame th’ ungodly horde
As with a garment cover.
Confusion are they made to bear
And as a heavy mantle wear,
And can remove it never!

17 To God my song of thanks I raise
With all my heart sincerely,
Among the multitude I’ll praise
And sing with mouth sincerely.
The Lord beside the poor man stands
To save him when the wicked bands
Condemn his soul to perish.

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
HErr Gott des ich mich rühmte viel
In meinen groſſen Nöthen,
Warumb ſchweigſtu nun jetzt ſo ſtill
Und willt mich nicht vertreten?
Der Gottloß thut auff ſeinen Mund
Und läſtert auff mich ohne Grund
Mit ſeiner falſchen Zungen.

2  Sie reden giftig wieder mich
Dräuwort an allen Enden,
Sagen, ich ſoll entgehen nicht
Ihren mördlichen Händen,
Ich hab es ja verſchuldet nie,
Von Grund des Hertzens meynt ich ſie
In rechter Lieb und Treue.

3  Darumb wird mir nun diß zu Lohn,
Daß ſie mich feindlich haſſen,
Umb Gutes ſie mir Böſes thun,
Ich muß geſchehen laſſen,
Daß ſie mir all zuwieder ſeyn,
Ich bet, ſtell dir die Sache heim,
Du mein GOtt wirſts wohl machen.

4  Setz über ihn gottloſe Leut,
Die nichts Geſundes lehren,
Las ſtehn zu ſeiner rechten Seit
Den Satan zum Verderben,
Wer von ihm nimt die Lehre ein,
Des Leben müſſe gottloß ſeyn,
Sein Gbet zur Sünde werde.

5  Sein Leben ihm auff friſcher Fahrt
Schrecklich werd abgeriſſen,
Das Ampt, das er geſchendet hat,
Eim andern werden müſſe,
Sein Weib müß in dem Witwenſtand
Und ſeine Kind irrig im Land
Umziehn wie arme Wayſen.

6  Es müſſen betteln ſeine Kind
Fürn Thüren umb ein Gabe,
Als die mit Schanden kommen ſind
Von aller ihrer Habe,
Wer etwa noch hat Hoff und Hauß,
Den ſaug der Wuchrer vollends aus,
Der Frembd ſein Güter raube.

7  Ihm müſſe nimmer Guts geſchehn
Von niemands in dem Lande,
Keim Menſchen ſoll zu Hertzen gehn
Derſelben Noth und Schande,
Ihr gantz Geſchlecht ſey ausgerott,
Ihr Name werd vertilget fort
Sobald im andern Gliede.

8  All ihrer Väter Miſſethat
Die Kinder tragen müſſen,
Was die Mutter geſündigt hat,
Das ſoll die Tochter büſſen,
Bey GOtt ſolchs nicht vergeſſen werd,
Biß ihr Gedächtnüs von der Erd
Sei gantz und gar vertilget.

9  Denn weil er der elenden Leut
Sich niemals hat erbarmet
Und hat verfolgt zu jederzeit
Biß uff den Tod die Armen,
So ſchaff, daß ihm hinwiederumb
Der Fluch zu Hauß und Hofe kum,
Es hats ſo wollen haben.

10  Er hat des Segens nicht gewolt,
Der ſol auch von ihm bleiben,
Den Fluch er an ſich tragen ſol,
Gleichwie das Kleid am Leibe,
Wie Waſſer inwendig hinein
Und wie das Oel in das Gebein
Der Fluch ſich in ihn ſchleiffe.

11  Er muß den Fluch gleichwie ein Kleid
An ſeinem Halſe tragen
Und wie ein Gürtel an ſeim Leib,
Den er trägt alle Tage,
Das Unglück müß ſie all beſtehn,
Die über mich zu Rathe gehn,
Das Leben mir zu nehmen.

12  HErr ſteh mir bey, verlaß mich nicht
Umb deines Namens wegen,
Dein Gnad, mein Troſt und Zuverſicht,
Wird meiner allzeit pflegen,
Dieweil ich arm und elend bin,
Mein Hertz im Leib, mein Muth und Sinn
Von Trauren iſt zerſchlagen.

13  Ich fahr dahin eim Schatten gleich,
Der gar bald wird vertrieben,
Und wie die Hewſchrecken verſcheucht
Wegfliehen und verſtieben,
Mein Knie ſind matt, mein Lenden ſchwach,
Der gantze Leib leidt Ungemacht
Von ſtetem Gram und Faſten.

14  Ich muß ſeyn derer Hohn und Spott,
Die für mir übergehen,
Sie ſchütteln über mir den Kopff,
Wenn ſie mein Elend ſehen,
Steh du bey mir, mein treuer GOtt,
Und hilff mir aus der groſſen Noth,
Nach deiner reichen Gnade.

15  Die Feind laß fühlen deine Hand,
Damit ſie innen werden,
Daß du die Ding all bringen kanſt
In beſſern Stand auff Erden.
Du ſegneſt wenn ſie fluchen ſehr,
Und machſt zur Schand derr Ruhm und Ehr,
Die ſich wider mich ſetzen.

16  Du wendeſt deiner Knechte Noth
Und kehreſt alls zur Freude,
Dargegen die gottloſe Rott
Mit Schanden wird bekleidet,
Die Schmach der Gottloß an ſich trägt,
Gleichwie ein Leibrock angelegt,
Er kan ihr nicht loß werden.

17  Ich wil dem HErren dancken ſehr
Von meines Hertzen Grunde,
In der Gemein ſeins Nahmens Ehr
Rühmen aus vollem Munde,
Der HErre ſteht zur rechten Seit
Und hilfft dem Armen, wenn die Leut
Verdammen ihn zum Tode.



No comments: