25 June 2024

Dir gbührt allein die Ehre (Wohl denen die da wandeln 7/8)

Here is my translation of the psalm paraphrase “Dir gbührt allein die Ehre,” that is, “Wohl denen die da wandeln,” part 7/8 (Cornelius Becker, d. 1604), based on Psalm CXIX, Beati immaculati, 137–160 (tzaddi-resh), Justus es Domine, though according to Becker’s form undivided from previous sections, with the same title “Treasure of Christians” and melody “Hilf Gott, daß mirs gelinge.”

 



Tzaddi צ

69 
THINE only is the glory,
Thou righteous art for aye;
True is Thy Word’s dear story–
So must Thy servants say:
Thou hast commanded firm and clear
Thy truth and righteous judgments,
Which Thou hast told us here.

70 Great zeal my soul consumeth,
Death almost is my lot,
Because the foe presumeth
And sets Thy Word at naught.
Yet ’tis the doctrine pure and true,
And by thy servant lovèd
Each day with vigor new.

71 Small may I be, despisèd,
Afflicted and maligned,
Yet I Thy Word have prizèd,
Thy precepts kept in mind.
Thy righteousness shall last for aye,
Which saves us from transgression,
Thy Word is true alway.

72 Distress and troubles thronging
Take hold on every hand,
Therefore my heart is longing
For what Thy lips command:
Thy testaments are righteous e’er.
Oh, give me understanding,
To live both here and there!

Koph ק

73 With all my heart and power,
I cried, hear me, O Lord!
I hope in Thee each hour,
I keep Thy holy Word,
I cry to Thee, Lord, help Thou me,
To keep Thy testimonies
Now and eternally.

74 I seek the Lord ere morning
And cry to Him in need,
His Word with faith adorning;
He to my pray’r gives heed.
When ere the morning I awake,
I speak of all His statutes
Until the day doth break.

75 Hear Thou my supplication
According to Thy grace;
With new invigoration
Lift heart and mind and face.
The wicked cause me much dismay,
And seek for my destruction;
Thy Word they cast away.

76 Thou art from me not distant,
My Comfort, Hope, and Stay!
Thy promise is persistent,
Thy pledge abides for aye.
Lord, I have known of old that Thou
Thy testaments hast founded
Forever as a vow.

Resh ר

77 Consider mine affliction,
Deliver me from woe;
Confirm Thou my conviction
Still in Thy Law to go;
Plead Thou my cause, deliver, Lord,
And quicken me in mercy
According to Thy Word!

78 Far from the congregation
Of wicked men remain
Thy hope and sure salvation;
Thy judgments they disdain.
Great are Thy tender mercies, Lord,
According to Thy judgments
Thy quick’ning grace afford!

79 My foes who now aggrieve me
Are great and threatening;
Yet soon Thou canst relieve me;
So to Thy Word I cling.
Great sorrow breaks my heart, O Lord,
Beholding the transgressors
Who do not keep Thy Word.

80 I love Thy precepts deeply,
Consider, Lord, my case,
And quicken Thou and keep me
According to Thy grace!
Thy Word is truth and truth alone,
Fore’er Thy righteous judgments
Endure, yea, every one!

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN

Zade צ

69  Dir gbührt allein die Ehre/
Du biſt allzeit gerecht/
Wahr iſt deins Wortes Lehre/
Wir ſind unnütze Knecht/
Du haſt geboten hart und feſt
Deine Warheit und Rechte/
Die du verkündgen läſt.

70  Ich hab geeyffert ſehre
Und gräm mich ſchier zu Todt/
Daß die Leut ſo verkehret
Mit deim Wort treiben Spott/
So iſt´s dennoch die reine Lehr/
Die deinem Knecht beliebet/
Immer je lengr je mehr.

71  Ich bin nicht groß geachtet
Und werde ſehr gepreſt/
Deinn Wort ich doch betrachte/
Dein Bfehl ich nicht vergeß/
Ewig iſt dein Gerechtigkeit/
Die uns abhilfft der Sünden/
War iſt dein Wort allzeit.

72  Angſt/ Noth hat mich umbfangen
Und Leiden ohne Zahl/
Drumb hat mein Hertz Verlangen
Nach deinn Geboten all/
Recht iſt dein Zeugnis allezeit/
Wenn du mich unterweiſeſt/
Leb ich in Heiligkeit.
    
Cuph ק

73  Ich ruff aus Hertzen Grunde/
Erhör mich/ HErr mein GOTT/
Ich hoff dein alle Stunden/
Halt mich an dein Gebot/
Ich ruff zu dir/ HErr/ hilff du mir/
Daß ich treulich erfülle
Dein Zeugnis für und für.

74  Ich kom früh für den HErren
Und klag ihm meine Noth/
Seinem Wort trau ich gerne/
Er helts/ der treue GOtt/
Wenn ich des Morgens früh erwach/
Red ich von ſeim Geſetze
Biß an den liechten Tag.

75  Erhör meins Flehens Stimme
Nach deiner Gnad und Güt/
Erfreu mir wiederümme
Mein Hertz/ Sinn und Gemüth/
Die böſen Leut verfolgen mich
Und wollen mich vertilgen/
Dein Wort ſie achten nicht.

76  Du biſt von mir nicht ferne/
Mein Troſt und Zuverſicht/
Heltſt dein Verheiſſung gerne/
Dein Zuſag treuget nicht/
Den Troſt hab ich vorlengſt gefaſt/
Daß du dein Zeugnis klare
Ewig gegründet haſt.
    
Resch ר

77  Sih an HErr mein Elende/
Errett mich aus der Noth/
Mein Schmach in Gnaden wende/
Ich halte dein Gebot/
Führ aus mein Sach/ erlöſe mich/
Durch dein Wort meine Seele
Erquicke gmädiglich.

78  Von der Gottloſen Gſchlechte
Das Heil iſt fern und weit/
Dieweil ſie deine Rechte
Achten zu keiner Zeit/
Groß iſt/ HErr/ dein Barmhertzigkeit/
Tröſt mich mit deinem Worte
Nach deiner Gütigkeit.

79  Die mich ſo feindlich haſſen/
Der iſt ſo grauſam viel/
Ich weis/ HErr du kannſt maſſen/
Beym Wort ich bleiben wil/
Der Jammer mir mein Hertze bricht/
Wenn ich ſeh die Verächter/
Die dein Wort halten nicht.

80  Ich hab lieb dein Befehle/
Mir gfellt dein Will und Rath/
Erquick HErr meine Seele
Durch deine große Gnad/
Dein Wort nichts denn die Warheit iſt/
Die Rechte deiner Güte/
Bleibt ſtets zu jeder Friſt.



No comments: