01 June 2024

Dennoch hat Israel zum Troſt

Here is my translation of the psalm paraphrase, “Dennoch hat Iſrael zum Troſt” (Cornelius Becker, d. 1604), based on Psalm LXXIII, Quam bonus Israël Deus, with title “Battle of flesh and spirit . . . A psalm of Asaph” and melody assignment “Wär Gott nicht mit uns diese Zeit.” Of the psalm proper, Luther writes,

It is a psalm of supplication against the great offense, when the ungodly are rich and prosper, so that they mock as it were the poor and afflicted saints, as though God does not know or take heed of them, while they and their holy works which they teach and tell are supposed to be a precious thing and entirely heavenly, divine wisdom and holiness. That causes pain, and I must (says he in v. 22) be a fool before Thee, that is, I am made out to be an ungodly heretic and despiser of God. Yet hold firm (he says in v. 17), go into the sanctuary, hear God’s Word, what He says of them, survey the ancient examples of history, and you will find taht they are suddenly brought to nothing. For there is no rock nor foundation there, but only slippery ground, etc.


 


GOD surely is to Israel
His good and comfort ever;
The heart that honors Him knows well
His love and gracious favor;
My foot had almost gone astray,
My steps had well nigh slipped away,
A fall I almost suffered:

2 The wicked boast without a care,
Which sorely did offend me;
Their enterprises prosper e’er,
And fill my heart with envy;
They have no fear of death at all,
They splendid stand and firm and tall
Like as a beauteous palace.

3 They peace enjoy while others still
By troubles are aggrievèd,
Nor are they plagued by every ill
That are by most receivèd.
Their pride they count a precious prize,
And set their sins before men’s eyes,
Expecting all to praise them.

4 They vaunt themselves with every thought,
Their plans can never fail them;
What others do all comes to naught,
While they with words assail them,
And teach men to regard their shame
As if from heaven high it came
And must on earth be honored.

5 Therefore the foolish people too
In droves come to them flocking,
And praise them, as they’re wont to do,
And lap up all their mocking,
So that they hardly can believe
That God will godly men receive:
How shall the Most High know them?

6 How is it that th’ ungodly horde
Enjoys such earthly favor?
All worldly wealth on them is poured,
And shall it be forever?
Is it in vain I’ve washed my heart,
Have blameless lived, and borne my part
And washed my hands in pureness?
    
7 But I am daily plagued anew,
And scourged each morning early,
And thus I would have spoken too,
But I must worry surely
That I, O God, had damned on earth
The children dear to Thee in worth,
And all their generation.

8 I thought on this yet more and more,
But only found confusion;
It was too great for me, too sore,
I met with no solution,
Till I Thy sanctuary sought,
And to my God my question brought,
Then understood their ending.

9 Thou sett’st them, Lord, on slipp’ry ground,
And castest them to ruin
They suddenly are fallen found,
Soon cometh their undoing.
They wholly are consumed with fears,
Like as a dream soon disappears,
Their image Thou despisest.

10 My heart was grieved, my reins were pricked,
That I was so unknowing
And foolish, I might well depict
A beast, no knowledge showing;
Yet I’m continually with Thee,
Since Thou dost not depart from me,
But by Thy right hand hold’st me.

11 Thou lead’st me by Thy counsel fair
And wilt to glory guide me;
If Thee I have, I do not care
For heav’n or earth beside Thee.
My body_and soul may fail at length,
But Thou art ever my heart’s Strength,
My Portion, and my Comfort.

12 For they must die that heaven flee;
Thou bringest them to perish
That go a-whoring, Lord, from Thee
But this delight I cherish:
That I may to my God draw near
And trust the Lord and hold Him dear,
His works alone declaring.

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Dennoch hat Iſrael zum Troſt,
Allzeit Gott ſeinen Herren,
Der Hulde Gottes wohl genoß,
Wer ihn von Hertzen ehret
Mein Fuß hätt ſchier geſtrauchelt mit,
Geglitten wär viel nach mein Tritt,
Ich hätt mich ſchier verſchuldet.

2  Die Gottloſen des Ruhms ſind voll,
Das bracht mir groſſen Schmertzen,
Was ſie anfahn, gelinget wol,
Solchs mich verdroß im Hertzen,
Sie ſind in keiner Todesfahr,
Sie ſtehen feſt, prächtig, fürwahr,
Gleichwie ein ſchön Palaſte.

3  Wann andre Leut in Unglück ſind,
Haben ſie guten Friede,
Zu ihnen keine Plag ſich find,
Die ſonſt viel Leut betrübet,
Ihr Trutz ſol heiſſen köſtlich Ding,
Wenn ihrem Frevel wol gelingt,
Solls jedermann nur loben.

4  Sie fahren hoch und brüſten ſich,
Thun was ſie nur gedencken,
Was andre machen, wird vernicht,
Mit Leſtrung ſie ſie krencken,
Ihr Thun und Frevel muß beſtehn,
Als wenns vom hohen Himmel kem,
Es muß gelten auff Erden.

5  Darumb der tolle Pöbel auch
Ihnen zufellt mit Hauffen,
Und lobets hoch, nach ſeinem Brauch,
Leſt ſich darzu verlauten,
Daß er es gar nicht gleuben kann,
Daß ſich Gott nem des Grechten an,
Was ſoll der Höchſt ſein achten?

6  Wie kömts denn, daß der gottlos Hauff
Iſt glückſelig auff Erden,
Er iſt reich und hat alls vollauff,
Sols denn immer ſo wären?
Sols denn umbſonſt ſeyn, daß mein Hertz
Unſträfflich lebt, und ich voll Schmertz,
Mein Händ in Unſchuld waſche?
    
7  Ich werd ja täglich wohl geplagt,
Mein Straff iſt da all Morgen,
Nun hätt ich auch ſchier ſo geſagt,
Aber ich mußt beſorgen,
Daß ich, O Gott, dein liebe Kind,
So viel ihr waren und noch ſind,
Verdammet hett auff Erden.

8  Ich dacht ihm nach je längr je mehr,
Ob ichs doch möcht ergründen,
Es ward mir aber viel zu ſchwer,
Kunnt mich darein nicht finden,
Biß daß ich gieng ins Heiligthumb,
Und fragt meinn lieben Gott hierumb,
Und mercket auff ihr Ende.

9  Du ſetzt ſie, HErr auff ſchlipffrign Grund
Und ſtürtzeſt ſie zu Boden,
Plötzlich fallen ſie hin zur Stund,
Und gehn unter mit Schaden,
Mit Schrecken nehmen ſie ein End,
Gleichwie ein Traum verſchwindt behend,
Ihr Bild iſt gleich eim Schemen.

10  Doch thut mirs in meim Hertzen weh
Und ſticht mich in den Nieren,
Daß ich muß Narr ſeyn, nichts verſteh,
Gleichwie ein tummes Thiere,
Dennoch ſo bleib ich ſtets an dir,
Dieweil du HErr nicht läſt von mir,
Erhältſt mich durch dein Rechte.

11 Nach deinem Rath HErr, leitſtu mich,
Bringſt mich endlich zu Ehren,
Wenn ich nur dich hab, frag ich nicht
Nach Himmel und nach Erden,
Wenn mir gleich Leib und Seel verſchmacht,
Biſtu doch allzeit meine Macht,
Mein Theil und Troſt meins Hertzen.

12  Die von dir weichen, leben nicht,
Du bringſt umb mit Hertzleide,
Alle, die huren wieder dich.
Diß aber iſt mein Frewde,
Daß ich mich halt zu meinem Gott,
Der HErr, HErr, iſt mein Troſt, mein Hort,
Sein Thun allein ich rühme.



No comments: