03 June 2024

Ich ruf zu Gott mit meiner Stimm

Here is my translation of the psalm paraphrase, “Ich ruf zu Gott mit meiner Stimm” (Cornelius Becker, d. 1604), based on Psalm LXXVII, Voce mea ad Dominum clamavi, with title “God’s right hand can change all things—(a quote from Luther’s rendering)—A psalm of Asaph to precent before Jeduthun” and melody assignment “Mag ich Unglück nicht widerstahn.” Luther writes of the psalm,

It is a psalm of instruction, for he gives himself as an example of how one should comfort himself when heartache comes and the conscience is troubled, thinking that God is angry with it, etc. And he says in the fourth verse that he was so troubled that could not sleep nor speak. And he tells of these troubled thoughts in verses 9–11. But there is consolation for this, and one can drive out such thoughts with which one is afflicted in vain, and instead take hold in the heart and thoughts the wondrous works of God in the old histories. Here we find that it was always His work to help the needy, afflicted, forsaken, and to cast down the self-secure and proud despisers, as he redeemed the children of Israel from Egypt. Therefore His ways are said to be hidden, because He is there and helps when it is supposed that all is lost. This should be learned well. And thus this psalm wishes to show us God and teach us His way of helping, namely, that we may not despair of God when there is adversity, but at that very time most certainly await help and not credit our own thoughts.

 

TO God with this my voice I cry,
To Him I sigh,
And He my pleading heareth;
I seek the Lord in troubled days,
My hands I raise
To Him when night appeareth,
Nor cease to pine,
Till He is mine;
Else were my soul
No more made whole—
My grief alone He cheereth.

2 When I am troubled and distressed,
I come for rest
In God with heart repenting;
Yea, when my soul is suff’ring pain
I there complain,
My misery lamenting.
All night I wake
With many an ache,
So wan and weak
I cannot speak,
My trouble has no ending.

3 In heartache thus I think upon
Old days bygone,
And years long since expirèd
And call to mind how I did sing
Upon the string,
When joy my heart inspirèd.
Now night and day
I waste away
With heavy thought,
And oft fear-fraught,
My spirit hath inquirèd.

4 Will then the Lord cast me away
And off for aye,
Nor yet in grace behold me?
Is there no favor shown before
Nor mercy more?
No promises once told me?
Hath He forgot
His gracious thought
And for my part
Hath closed His heart,
Will He let wrath enfold me?

5 This is the suff’ring I have bred!
So my heart said,
When God I well did ponder;
The hand of God the Highest King
Rules everything,
And soon can sorrow sunder.
And when I marked
All that He worked,
I thought I might
Great volumes write
Of every mighty wonder.
    
6 Lord God, Thy ways are holiness
No god there is
That were Thine equal ever,
In wisdom, power, strength, and might
Thy works upright
Are wonders of Thy favor;
Thou, Lord, alone
Thou hast made known
Thy mighty hand
To many a land;
Man can attain them never!

7 Thy people from dread slavery
Thou didst set free
And manifest Thy power
To Jacob and to Joseph’s sons.
With gladsome tones
Be praisèd every hour!
The waters high
Saw God pass by,
They were afraid
And filled with dread,
The depths did also cower!

8 Thick clouds did waters freely pour
Of gen’rous store,
Thy thunder loud resounded,
The lightnings filled with awesome light
The depth and height,
Their blast the heavens pounded,
The land with light
Was flooded quite,
The rocks were heaved,
The earth, aggrieved,
With trembling was astounded.

9 Thy foot upon the waters hath
Its way and path,
Upon the sea it treadeth;
And yet Thy foot cannot be seen,
Where it hath been,
Nor where Thy footstep headeth;
He is the Rock
And leads His flock
By Moses and
By Aaron’s hand,
No sheep His heart forgetteth.

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Ich ruff zu Gott mit meiner Stimm
Und ſchrey zu ihm,
So höret er mein Flehen,
Ich ſuch den Herren in der Noth,
Mein Händ zu Gott
Der Nachtes ich aufhebe,
Ich laß nicht ab,
Biß ich ihn hab,
Sonſt meine Seel
In Angſt und Quel
Vor Hertzleid müßt vergehen.

2  Wenn ich betrübt und trawrig bin,
Meins Hertzens Sinn
Zu meinem Gott ich wende,
Wenn meiner Seel iſt angſt und weh,
Für ihm ich fleh
Und klag ihm mein Elende,
Die Nacht ich wach
Für Ungemach,
Ich red kaum mehr
Für Ohnmacht ſchwer,
Meins Jammers iſt kein Ende.

3  Ich denk in ſolchem Hertzenleid
Der alten Zeit,
Wies gweſen iſt vor Jahren,
Erinner mich auch offt und viel
Meins Seitenſpiels,
Darbey ich fröhlich ware,
Jetzt ich mich plag
Bey Nacht, bey Tag
Mit Gdanken ſchwer
Je längr je mehr,
Mein Geiſt wolts gern erfahren.

4  Wird denn der HErr nu ewiglich
Verſtoßen mich
Und kein Gnad mir beweiſen,
Iſt denn ſein Güt gar abgewendt,
Und hat ein End,
Was er zuvor verheißen?
Hat er denn heut
Barmherzigkeit
An mir vergeſſn,
Sein Herz verſchloſſn,
Will mich ſein Zorn abreißen?

5  Doch als ich ihm recht dachte nach,
Mein Hertze ſprach:
Ich muß das alles leiden,
Des Allerhöchſten rechte Hand
Alls endern kan
Und kehren bald zur Frewde,
Wenn ich denn merck
Auffs HErren Werck,
Hätt ich nur bloß
Von Wundern groß
Ein eigen Buch zu ſchreiben.
    
6  HErr Gott, dein Wege heilig ſind,
Nirgend man find
Ein Gott, der deinesgleichen,
An Weißheit, Macht, an Krafft und Stärck
All deine Werck
Sind lauter Wunderzeichen,
Du haſt dein Macht
Mit herrlichm Pracht
An Völckern viel
Erweiſt ohn Ziel,
Niemand, HErr, kans erreichen.

7  Du haſt dein Volck aus dem Dienſthauß
Geführet aus
Und deine Macht lahn ſehen,
Jacobs und Joſephs Kinder all
Darfür mit Schall
Dir Lob und Preiß verjehen,
Die Waſſerſtröm
Sahen Gott gehn,
Sie ängſten ſich
Gewaltiglich,
Die Tiefe wollt nicht ſtehen.

8 Die dicke Wolken goſſen ſehr
Viel Waſſer ſchwer,
Dein Donner ließ ſich hören,
Die Feuerſtrahlen fuhrn daher
Die Läng, die Quer,
Im Himmel donnert's ſehre,
Das Erdreich ganz
Mit Feuersglanz
Bedecket ward
Und bebet hart,
Es kracht ſein Boden ſchwere.

9  Im tiefen Meer, Herr, war dein Weg,
Dein Pfad und Steg
In Waſſern war zu finden,
Und kunnt man doch dein Fuß nicht ſehn,
Wedr gehn noch ſtehn,
Für Augen tät's verſchwinden,
Sein Volk er führt,
Gleichwie ein Hirt,
Durch Aaron
Und Moſen fromm,
Kein Schäflein blieb dahinden.


No comments: