25 June 2024

Fürsten sind meine Feinde (Wohl denen die da wandeln 8/8)

Here is my translation of the psalm paraphrase “Fürsten sind meine Feinde,” that is, “Wohl denen die da wandeln,” part 8/8 (Cornelius Becker, d. 1604), based on Psalm CXIX, Beati immaculati, 161–176 (sin-taw), Principes persecuti sunt, though according to Becker’s form undivided from previous sections, with the same title “Treasure of Christians” and melody “Hilf Gott, daß mirs gelinge.”

 



Sin ש

81
THE princes hate me wholly,
And fight without a cause
Because my heart loves solely
Thy Word and holy laws.
Yea, I rejoice at Thy dear Word
As one on whom in battle
Great spoils have been conferred.

82 All liars and deceivers
I with my heart abhor,
Thy law’s steadfast believers
My soul doth love the more.
Sev’n times a day I give Thee praise,
O God my Lord and Savior,
For all Thy righteous ways.

83 Great peace doth e’er attend them
Who love Thy law aright,
And nothing shall offend them,
Howe’er the foe may fight.
For Thy salvation, Lord, I wait,
Do as Thou first hast promised,
Thy grace to me is great!

84 My soul doth keep forever
Thy Word and doctrine sound,
Thy testaments with favor
And love my heart hath found.
Thy testaments and precepts dear
I keep, for lo, before Thee,
My ways and works are clear.

Tau ת

85 My pray’r let come before Thee,
My cry receive with care,
Thy Word brings grace and glory
And doth Thy wisdom share.
My supplication welcome, Lord,
Deliver me and save me,
According to Thy Word!

86 My lips shall proudly preach Thee,
My heart shall give Thee praise,
When Thou, O Lord, shalt teach me
Thy statutes and Thy ways.
My tongue shall speak and tell Thy Word,
For all of Thy commandments
Are righteous, dearest Lord!

87 Lord, let me be protected
And let Thy hand be shown;
Thy precepts I’ve selected
They are to me well known.
For Thy salvation I have sought;
Thy law my soul delighteth—
My God, forsake me not!

88 My soul let live, I pray Thee,
And it will sing Thy praise;
As my Defense display Thee,
Restore me to Thy ways;
Like as a sheep I’ve gone astray
Oh, seek and find Thy servant,
Thy Word let be my stay.

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.


GERMAN
Schin ש

81  Fürſten ſind meine Feinde,
Ohn Schuld ſie haſſen mich,
Weil für deim Wort alleine
Mein Hertz ſtets fürchtet ſich,
An deim Wort hab ich groſſe Freud,
Wie einer der im Kriege
Erlangt ſtattliche Beut.

82  Lügnern und falſchen Leuten
Bin ich von Hertzen feind,
Dein Gſetz zu allen Zeiten
Lieb meiner Seelen ſeynd,
Des Tages lob ich ſiebenmal
Dich, meinen Gott und HErren,
Umb deine Rechte all.

83  Die lieben dein Geſetze,
Stehen in groſſem Fried,
Der Feind ſtarck an ſie ſetzet,
Dennoch ſie ſtraucheln nit,
HErr, ich wart ſehnlich auff dein Heil,
Thu wie du haſt verſprochen,
Dein Gnad werd mir zutheil.

84  Mein Seel wird allzeit halten
Ob der geſunden Lehr,
Dein Zeugnis mannichfalte
Lieben meim Hertzen ſehr,
Ich halt dein Zeugnis und Befehl,
Für dir ſind meine Wege,
Ich hab meins Thuns kein Hehl.

Thau ת

85  Mein Bitt las für dich kommen,
Mein Klag vernimm mit Fleiß,
Dein Wort bringt groſſen Frommen,
Drin du mich unterweiſt,
Mein Flehen für dich kommen laß,
Errette mich, ſchaff Hülffe,
Wie du verſprochen haſt.

86  Ich will dich lobn und ehren
Von Grund meins Hertzens rein,
Wenn du mich recht wirſt lehren
Alle die Rechte dein,
Ich wil ſtets reden von deim Wort,
Mein Zung dein Wort verkündigt,
Recht ſind all dein Gebot.

87  Bewar mir Leib und Seele
Durch deine ſtarcke Hand,
Zu deim Befehl ich wähle,
Sie ſind mir wol bekant,
Nach deinem Heil verlanget mich,
Hab Luſt an deim Geſetze,
Mein Gott, verlaß mich nicht.

88  Las meine Seele leben,
Daß ſie dich lob und ehr,
Dein rechte Hülff laß geben,
Ich bin verirret ſehr,
Gleichwie ein Schäflein, das verlorn,
Deinen Knecht wollſtu ſuchen,
Ich hab dein Wort erkorn.



No comments: