19 March 2024

Ich liebe dich, mein Herr und Gott

 Here is my translation of the hymn on love to God, “Ich liebe dich, mein Herr und Gott” (Martin Geier, d. 1680), in GGELB #396 with melody assignment “Herr Jesu Christ, meins Lebens Licht.” It is not in Fischer’s lexicon. I find it in Andächtiger Seelen geistliches Brand- und Gantz-Opfer (1697).

 


I LOVE Thee, dearest Lord of mine!
Alive and and dead I still am Thine;
Without Thee I would not be free;
I wholly pledge myself to Thee.

2 Oh, take my mind to be Thine own,
Teach it to think of Thee alone;
Oh, take my reason, give it light,
In all to honor Thee aright.

3 Thine be my will, my will be Thine,
For mine to Thine should e’er resign.
What God desires, that pleaseth me,
Nor want I what displeaseth Thee.

4 Lord, take (for ’twas Thy hand it gave)
All that I am and what I have;
Do all therewith that pleaseth Thee.
To Thee I leave it utterly.

5 Alone Thy grace, alone Thy love
Give me in turn, dear Lord above!
With Thee I happily recline,
Am I but Thine, and Thou art mine.

6 O God, I love Thee heartily,
And ’tis the greatest pain to me
To anger Thee, the highest Good!
Oh, wash me by Thy holy blood!

7 I love Thee, Lord, yet not that I
by love should into heaven fly;
And not because who love Thee not
Find pains of hell to be their lot.

8 Thou, Lord, in love wast crucified
T’ atone for all my sinful pride;
Thou, who wast made a curse for me,
By cunning of the enemy:—

9 Thou who didst suffer scourge and thorn
And bear the weight of human scorn,
And die the death I should have died,
And thus by Thee I’m justified:—

10 Thine justly is all love, since Thee
The sword of vengeance struck for me;
Shall I not love Thee and revere,
For whom Thou paidst a price so dear?

11 Were there no heaven nor a hell,
I ask to love Thee just as well.
For nothing, freely, as Thou me,
O God, hast loved, so love I Thee.

12 I love Thee now and when I die,
Because Thou art my God on high;
Because I’m Thine, my Savior dear,
I’m heaven’s heir both there and here.

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Ich liebe dich, mein Herr und Gott!
Dein bin ich lebend und auch tot;
Freisein begehr ich nicht ohn dich,
dir unterwerf ich gänzlich mich.

2 Nimm mein Gedächtnis und es lenk,
daß es an dich allein gedenk;
nimm den Verstand, gib ihm das Licht,
daß dir zur Ehr er alles richt.

3 Mein Will sei dein und deiner mein,
denn dein und mein soll ein Will sein.
Was Gott will, das gefällt auch mir,
nichts will ich, was mißfället dir.

4 Nimm hin, o Herr! dein ist die Gab,
was ich nur bin und was ich hab;
mach du damit wie dirs gefällt,
dir sei es völlig heimgestellt.

5 Nur deine Gnad, nur deine Lieb,
o Gott, mein Herr, dagegen gib;
mit dir will ich zufrieden sein,
wenn ich nur dein bin und du mein.

6 Dich liebt, o Gott! mein ganzes Herz,
und ist mir das der größte Schmerz,
daß ich dich, als das höchste Gut,
erzürnt; ach! wasch mich durch dein Blut!

7 Ich lieb dich, Herr! doch nicht darum,
daß ich durch Lieb in Himmel komm;
nicht, weil dort in der Höllenpein,
die dich nicht lieben, strafbar sein.

8 Du, Herr! der du aus Lieb am Holz
gehangen bist für meinen Stolz,
der du zum FLuche worden bist
für mich, durch Feindes Grimm und List;

9 Der du Spott, Geißeln, Dornenstich,
ja, Nägel, selbst den Tod für mich
erlitten, das doch ich verdient,
und also durch dich bin versöhnt;

10 Du, Herr! bist ja wohl liebenswerth,
für mich traf dich der Rache Schwert;
sollt ich denn nun nicht lieben dich,
da du so theur erkaufet mich?

11 Wenn schon kein Höll noch HImmel wär,
doch ich zu lieben dich begehr;
umsonst, um nichts, gleichwie du mich,
o Gott! geliebt, so lieb ich dich.

12 Dich lieb ich jetzt, auch bis in Tod,
nur drum weil du, mein Herr und Gott!
weil du mein Heiland, und ich dein,
hoff ich dein Erbe dort zu sein.

No comments: