17 March 2024

Merkt auf, ihr Menschenkinder

Here is my translation of the devotional (following Jesus) hymn, “Merkt auf, ihr Menschenkinder, / denn Jesus rufet euch” (Erdmann Neumeister, d. 1756), in GGELB #393 with melody assignment “Herr Christ, der einig Gotts Sohn,” first appearing in the author’s Evangelischer Nachklang (1718) with title: “For St. Andrew’s Day,” then in his Psalmen und Lobgesänge (1755), where the melody is referred to as “Herr Gott, nun sei gepreiset.” It should be distinguished from Rist’s Advent hymn with the same first line from 1651.

 

GIVE ear, for Jesus calls you,
O peoples of the earth—
Yea, to His kingdom calls you,
Ye men of sinful birth!
With faithful words He calleth,
Of which none vainly falleth:
Who follows Him is blest!

2 I follow words immortal
That life within me stir;
I follow to the portal
That doth all bliss confer.
I follow my salvation;—
Yet joyfully to hasten,
O Jesus, draw Thou me!

3 I follow Thee believing;
And that no devil may
Contrive by sly deceiving,
This flame to steal away,
Lord, strength and boldness give me
That foes which now aggrieve me
May all be overcome!

4 I follow Thee and love Thee,
And nothing know on earth
To love, O Lord, above Thee;
Thy love is far more worth;
Nor will it cause me anguish,
If soul and body languish,
While Thou my Portion art.

5 I follow Thee in sadness,
And grief and suff’ring feel,
And yet what utter gladness
Doth follow at my heel!
The joy that Thou wilt give me,
Though naught may here relieve me,
Hereafter I will know.

6 I know my flesh resisteth,
Nor longs to follow Thee;
So where Thy Spirit listeth,
There let Him hasten me,
Nor let my flame diminish,
That I my course may finish,
And find a blessed end.

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Merkt auf, ihr Menschenkinder,
denn Jesus rufet euch.
Er rufet euch, ihr Sünder.
Er rufet in sein Reich.
Er ruft mit treuem Munde,
er ruft zu aller Stunde.
Wohl dem, der Jesu folgt!

2 Ich folge seinem Worte,
das meine Seele rührt.
Ich folge bis zur Pforte,
die in den Himmel führt.
Ich folge meinem Heile,
und daß ich freudig eile,
so zeuch mich, Jesu, selbst.

3 Ich folge dir im Glauben,
und daß mir dieses Guth
kein Teufel möge rauben,
so gib mir Kraft und Muth,
dadurch ich sieghaft kämpfe,
und all Feinde dämpfe,
die mir zuwider sind.

4 Ich folge dir in Liebe,
nichts auf der Erden ist,
das mir noch lieber bliebe,
als du, mein Jesu, bist.
Ich werd es auch nicht achten,
ob Seel und Leib verschmachten,
wenn du mein Theil verbleibst.

5 Ich folge dir im Leide,
in Trübsal, Angst und Schmach.
Es folgt doch lauter Freude
mir auf dem Fuße nach.
Ja, die wirst du mir geben.
Ists nicht in diesem Leben,
so wirds in jenem sein.

6 Ich weiß, mein Fleisch ist träge,
und will nicht gerne dran.
Drum zeuch mich auf dem Wege
mit Geistes Kräften an,
bis ich den Lauf vollende,
und also dessen Ende
mit ewig selig sein.

No comments: