01 March 2024

Abermal ein Tag verschwunden

Here is my translation of the evening hymn, “Abermal ein Tag verschwunden” (Michael Wiedemann, d. 1719), in GGELB #331 with melody assignment “Herr, ich habe mißgehandelt.” It is absent from Fischer’s lexicon. The Ohio hymnal cites as the source only Breslau Gsb 1745. I find the hymn in Wiedemann’s curious Historisch-Poetischer Gefangenschafften, (Leipzig, 1689), vol. 5 “Maius,” p. 43ff., with title “Evening Hymn” and proper melody with bass.

 




ONE more day has met its ending,
One step nearer lies the bier!
Oh, how swift the hours are tending;
Day and night soon disappear!
Well it were in timely manner
To prepare death’s welcome-banner.

2 Sin, alas, hath me confounded,
I have not well used the day
As God in His Word propounded,
Surely I must meet dismay;
If God come for judgment early,
I will not be standing surely!

3 Holy Father, kindly lend me
For my faults Thy pard’ning grace;
Dearest Savior, pray, defend me
There before the Father’s face;
Holy Ghost, make me the stronger
That I may thus err no longer.

4 Highest Maker of creation,
I my sin and guilt deplore;
Work in me new restoration,
Make my bones rejoice once more.
Grant this sinner absolution,
And release from retribution.

5 Since Thou hast my guilt forgiven
And my heart with comfort filled,
What is death? A door to heaven.
Yet if Thou, my God, hast willed
Life here further to ordain me,
Firmly then in faith sustain me.

6 Keeper, whom no sleep nor slumber
Hinders in Thy watching hour,
Whom nor care nor grief encumber
In Thy providence or pow’r,
Watch this night all matters for me,
And the guard Thyself set o’er me.

7 Watcher, Thou who dost sustain me,
If Thou shouldst not us defend,
Then the watchman waketh vainly.
If Thy pow’r should not attend,
Soon the prince of darkness surely
Would ensnare my soul securely.

8 Who could stand against him fighting,
If Thou wilt Thy hand withhold?
Who but for Thy weapon smiting
Can escape his clutches cold?
Therefore be My strength and tower,
Break the devil’s works and power.

9 Lord, to bed I now betake me!
Oh, give charge that, while I sleep,
Angel guards may not forsake me,
But in all my ways me keep.
Let me shelter from Thee borrow;
Wake me safely on the morrow!

10 If my life in sleep subsideth,
Be it, Lord, as Thou dost will!
In Thy hands my soul abideth;
These shall bear safe and still
By the chariot softly driven
To the chosen saints in heaven.

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Abermal ein Tag verschwunden
und ein Schritt zur Bahr gemacht!
Ach wie eilen doch die Stunden,
wie vergeht doch Tag und Nacht!
Ach man möcht sich wohl beizeiten
auch zur Todesnacht bereiten.

2 Ach die Sünd hat mich geschändet,
daß ich diesen lieben Tag
nicht zum Besten angewendet,
daß ich nicht bestehen mag;
wo Gott ins Gericht will gehen,
ach so kann ich nicht bestehen.

3 Heilger Vater, ach! verzeihe
meine Fehl nach deiner Güt;
Liebster Heiland, ach! verleihe,
daß mich dein Verdienst vertritt;
Heilger Geist, regier die Sache,
daß ich es nicht mehr so mache.

4 Höchste Allmacht, ich bereue
meine Schuld und Sündlichsein;
ach verneue und erfreue
mein erschrockenes Gebein.
Sei mir armen Sünder gnädig,
und mach mich der Strafe ledig.

5 Nun du mir die Schuld vergeben,
und mit deinem Trost erfüllt,
frag ich nichts nach Tod und Leben.
Doch wo du mir aber willt,
dieses Leben noch erlauben,
so erhalte mich im Glauben.

6 Hüter, dem kein Schlaf noch Schlummer
auf der Wache übereilt,
welchen weder Sorg noch Kumm
an der Vorsorg je verweilt,
hüt auch heinte meine Sachten,
und bestelle selbst die Wachen.

7 Wächter meines Leib und Lebens,
wo du nicht das Haus bewachst,
wacht der Wächter doch vergebens,
wo du nicht selbt Anstalt machst,
kann der Fürst der Finsternissen
mich mit seinem Garn umschliessen.

8 Ach wer kann ihm widerstehen,
wo du nicht selbst Hand anlegst?
Ach wer kann ihm auch entgehen,
wo du ihn nicht selbsten schlägst?
Drum sei itzt mein Hort und Stärke,
und zerstör des Teufels Werke.

9 Nun wohlan, ich will mich legen;
ach befiehl der Engel Macht,
daß sie mich auf meinen Wegen
so wie stets auch heint bewacht.
Laß mich deine Hand bedecken,
und gesund vom Schlaf aufwecken.

10 Soll der Schlaff mein Leben enden,
so geschehe, HERR, dein Will,
denn ich bin in deinen Händen,
die mich bald in aller Still
auf dem sanften Seelenwagen
zu den Auserwählten tragen.

No comments: