04 March 2024

Herr, du hast nach dem Fall

Here is my translation of the “before work” hymn, “Herr, du hast nach dem Fall” (Johann Jacob Rambach, d. ), in GGELB #348 with melody assignment: “O Gott, du frommer Gott.” It is not in Fischer’s lexicon. Julian finds it in the author’s Haus Gesang-Buch (1735), later altered (probably by Diterich) as “Du hast uns, Herr, die Pflicht,” in which form it was translated by Miss Ann B. Warner as “Lord, Thou hast bid us labour” (1858), which does not follow the meter. I present the original text, which the Ohio hymnal uses, with a couple older variants. The Evangelisches Gesangbuch (1742) provides scriptural references for each stanza: 1: Gen. 3:19 (here note, “labor” is toilsome, strenuous activity with meager return, not the first-appointed, pleasant, and profitable work of dressing and keeping the Garden, Gen. 2:15). 2:Sirach 7:16. 3: Matt. 6:32, 34; Eccles. 9:32. 4. Ps. 90:17; Heb. 4:9–10; Rev. 14:13.

 



LORD, since the fall Thou hast
Appointed man to labor;
Thou wilt that hand and foot
Should stir to serve the neighbor.
Neglectful idleness
O God, Thy heart doth hate!
’Tis welcome to the foe,
To men, a burd’ning weight!

2 Grant that I willingly
May to Thy way conform me,
And while I work, keep clear
Thy counsel e’er before me.
And if the while my face
With sweat of toil grow wet,
I am content Thou hast
Me in that office set.

3 O Lord, preserve my heart
From earthly care and sorrow;
Give me my daily bread,
And care Thou for the morrow.
Let me perform my part
With careful diligence,
Yet ever in Thy love
Rest all my confidence.

4 O God of blessing! bless
The task by me attended;
With Thee, the First and Last,
Be it begun and ended!
Let me beneath my load
That Sabbath e’er espy
When, toil and struggles o’er,
We to Thy rest will fly.

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Herr! du hast nach dem Fall
die Arbeit aufgeleget;
du willst, daß Hand und Fuß
zu Andrer Dienst sich reget.
Der träge Müßiggang
ist dir, o Gott! verhaßt,
dem Satan eine Lust,
dem Nächsten eine Last.

2 Gib, daß ich willig mich [ich völlig]
in deine Ordnung schicke, [in Gottes]
und unter meiner Müh
auf deinen Rathschluß blicke.
Wird gleich mein Angesicht
mit saurem Schweiß benetzt;
genug, da du mich hast
in den Beruf gesetzt.

3 Bewahre nur mein Herz
vor Bauch- und Nahrungssorgen,
gib mir mein täglich Brot,
und sorge selbst für Morgen.
Laß mich an meinem Theil
das Meine fleißig thun,
doch mein Vertrauen stets
in deiner Liebe ruhn.

4 Ach, fördre Segens-Gott!
die Werke meiner Hände,
sei du, mein A und O,
mein Anfang und mein Ende.
Laß mich bei meiner Last
auf jenen Sabbath sehn,
wo wir, nach Müh und Kampf,
in deine Ruhe gehn.

No comments: