14 March 2024

Folget mir, ruft uns das Leben

Here is my translation of the Christian life hymn, “Folget mir, ruft uns das Leben” (Johann Rist, d. 1651), in GGELB #389 with indication of proper melody and omitting stanzas 7–12, 14–15. It first appears in the author’s Himmlische Lieder (1631), p. 248ff., Part 4, Christian and Devout Prayer-Hymns, with setting in cantus and bassus and title “The Sixth Hymn is a heartfelt prayer to God for earnest following of life and conduct of our dearest Savior Jesus Christ, especially in true godliness and all good works.” The cantus and bass are conveniently given together in Müller’s Geistliche Seelenmusik (1684) below.

 




“FOLLOW Me,” our Life inviteth,
“I will give what you delighteth.
Walk in Me and do not stray,
Follow, for I am the Way.
Follow with heart undivided,
Till thy sorrows have subsided;
Learn of Me, let Me impart
Meekness and a humble heart.”

2 Yea, Lord Jesus, Thy desiring
I would keep with feet untiring,
Since I know no Christian true
In Thy band and chosen few
Would of Thee be so ashamèd,
Not to live as he is namèd,
Nor Christ’s follower to be.
Well we ought to follow Thee!
 
3 Yet, Lord, where shall I, pursuing,
Find the strength for all well-doing
And the will Thy way to seek?
Oh, my God, I am too weak!
Quickly while Thy courses treading,
I forsake the faithful heading!
Thee to love, O Savior true,
Is not in my pow’r to do!
 
4 Though my heart hath long believèd,
It is soon by flesh deceivèd,
When lust rises suddenly,
Sweetly calling, “Follow me!”
Honor, riches, fame, and splendor
Thee the lord instead render;
Greed and all that is not right
Also enter in this fight.

5 Oh, what racing and what running
For the goods we should be shunning!
How the wretched world doth love
Riches, wealth all else above!
Meanwhile God, who life would receive them
After death, and life would give them,
None will follow here in truth,
Though they promised such in youth.

6 Yet, Lord, I’ll not Thee be leaving,
Nor will cease in gladness cleaving.
Kindly help and strengthen me
That I may stand firm in Thee.
All their ways my heart hath quitted,
With Thee only would be knitted;
Their ways nothing are but lies;
He who follows Thee is wise.

7 Thou art gone, O Lord, before us,
Not with pomp and splendor glorious,
Not with strife, as mortals race,
But with mercy, love, and grace.
To Thy fellows be it granted,
Thee to follow never daunted,
And in virtue’s way to run,
As Thou first for us hast done.
 
8 Lord, how didst Thou run most truly
Here among the world unruly,
When the pow’r of sin and strife
Nailed Thee to the tree of life,—
When in love Thou wouldest offer
Thy own life, and for us suffer,—
When Thy dearly spilling blood
Won for us the highest good!

9 Let us also, thus surrounded,
Here as Christians, firmly grounded,
Wav’ring not, but bound as one
In true love and kindness run.
Let none in this vale of sadness
Seek in vain his highest gladness.
Christ is gone before us all.
“Follow!” sounds the Savior’s call.
 
10 When the sun from far ascendeth,
All the stars her train attendeth.
And where Joshua was sent,
Isr’el’s house behind him went.
Jesus, Thou the sun bright-shining,
Let us here with heart unpining
Follow Thee among the throng
To the life where we belong.

11 Joshua Thou too art namèd,
Who Thy little flock hast claimèd,
And dost lead Thine own in love
To the Canaan true above.
Let us see the path before us
That we may, in death victorious,
Underneath Thy shelt’ring hand
Enter to Thy promised land.
 
12 Jesus, Light and Life from heaven,
All Thy ways are plain and even,
And Thy traces of Thy feet
Are than honey far more sweet.
Help me, Lord, that I may never
Find my way in misbehavior.
Show Thy servant weak and slight
Every path and road aright.
 
13 Let me sense Thy grace and favor,
Guide my step, that I may ever
In Thine innocence proceed,
Nor give faithless scoffers heed;
Help me not alone in gladness,
But in crosses and in sadness,
Struggle, strife, and agony,
Ready be to follow Thee.
 
14 Let me only not grow weary
In distress and sorrows dreary,
Since we know this is the way
That misfortune doth repay,
whereby man in thorns goes swimming
And with misery is brimming,
Where all those who must so run
Soon may fall ere they are done.

15 Let my goal be never quickly
Lost in passions piling thickly,
Lest I lose the light of grace
As my time flies on apace.
Grant that from youth’s tender flower
Till old age’s lofty hour
I may heartily esteem
Without guile, all virtue’s gleam.
 
16 Help me, most of all, my Savior,
That in life and my behavior
I may hunger to progress
In Thy love and humbleness.
Help me here to trust Thee truly,
There with eyes to see Thee newly—
Faith in time let granted be,
Sight for all eternity!

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

Catherine Winkworth, 1855
Follow me, in me ye live,
What ye ask I freely give,
Only heed ye lest ye stray,
Follow me, the Living Way;
Follow me with all your hearts,
I will ward off sorrow's darts;
Learn from Christ your Lord to be
Rich in meek humility.

2 Yea, Lord, meet it is indeed
We should all thy bidding heed;
Who in fear of this earth's blame,
Counts Thy lowly yoke a shame,
To Thy name, Lord, hath no right,
Is no Christian, in Thy sight.
Ah too well I know that we,
Hear on earth, should follow Thee.
 
3 Where is strength, Lord, to fulfil,
Glad at heart, Thy works and will,
Following on where Thou hast trod?
All too weak am I, O God;
If awhile Thy paths I keep,
Soon I pine for rest and sleep;
E'en to love Thee, Lord, aright,
Passeth far my feeble might.

6 Yet I will not turn from Thee,
Yet my joy in Christ shall be;
Help me, make me strong and bold,
Firm and fast Thy grace to hold;
This world and her lusts I leave,
Only to my Lord I cleave;
All their promises are lies,
But who follows Thee is wise.

7–8 Thou hast gone before us, Lord,
Not with anger, strife, or sword,
Not with kingly pomp and pride,
But with mercy at Thy side.
Moved by wondrous love divine
For our life Thou gavest Thine,
And Thy precious outpoured blood,
Won for us the highest good.

9 Let us follow in such sort,
Christ-like every deed and thought,
That Thy love most true and kind
All our hearts henceforth may bind;
None may look behind him now,
Who to Christ hath pledged his vow;
Jesus leads, no longer stand,
Follow me, is His command.

15 Draw me up, my God, from hence,
Raise me high o'er earth and sense,
That I lose not Thee from sight,
Nor in life nor death, my Light!
In my soul's most deep recess
Let me cherish holiness,
Not for show or human praise,
But for Thy sake, all my days.

16 Grant me, Lord, my heart's desire,
So my course to run nor tire,
That my practised soul may prove
What Thy meekness, what Thy love.
Grant me here to trust Thy grace,
There with joy to see Thy face,
This in time my portion be,
That through all eternity!


GERMAN
Folget mir, ruft uns das Leben.
Was ihr bittet, will ich geben,
Gehet nur den rechten Steg,
Folget, ich bin selbst der Weg.
Folget mir von ganzem Herzen,
ich benehm euch alle Schmerzen.
Lernet von mir insgemein,
sanft und reich von Demuth sein.
 
2 Ja, Herr Jesu, dein Begehren
sollt ich billig dir gewähren,
weil ich weiß, daß der kein Christ
unter uns zu nennen ist,
der sich gleichsam pflegt zu schämen,
deine Last auf sich zu nehmen.
Ach ich weiß es gar zu wohl,
daß man dir nachwandeln soll!
 
3 Aber, Herr, wo find ich Stärke,
zu verbringen gute Werke
dir mit Lust zu folgen nach?
Ach mein Gott, ich bin zu schwach!
Geh ich schon auf guten Wegen,
muß ich bald mich nieder legen.
Dich zu lieben, o mein Licht,
steht in meinen Kräften nicht.
 
4 Zwar mein Geist wird oft bewogen,
aber bald durchs Fleisch betrogen,
wenn die Wollust tritt herfür,
freundlich rufend: Folge mir!
Ehr und Pracht samt andern Sachen
wollen dich zum Herren machen,
Geiz und Ungerechtigkeit
kommen auch zu diesem Streit.
 
5 Ach wie seh ich doch ein Rennen
nach den Gütern, die wir kennen!
Liebet doch die schnöde Welt
nur den Reichthum und das Geld;
und dem Herren, der das Leben
nach dem Sterben uns will geben,
Folget niemand mit der That,
ob mans gleich versprochen hat. [Wie er uns befohlen hat.
 
6 Aber, Herr, ich will nicht lassen
dich mit Freuden anzufassen.
Hilf mir gnädig, stärke mich,
steif und fest zu halten dich.
Jener Wege laß ich fahren,
nur mit dir will ich mich paaren;
Jener Wege sind Betrug.
Wer dir folget, der ist klug.

7 Du bist für uns her gegangen
nicht mit großem Stolz und Prangen,
nicht mit Hader, Zank und Streit,
sondern mit Barmherzigkeit.
Gib, daß wir als Hausgenossen
dir zu folgen unverdrossen
wandeln in der Tugend Bahn,
wie du hast für uns getan.
 
8 Herr, wie bist du doch gelaufen
unter jenem schnöden Haufen
damals, als der Sünden Macht
dich hat an das Kreuz gebracht
und ein übergroße Liebe
dich für uns zu sterben triebe,
da dein theur vergoßnes Blut
uns erwarb das höchste Gut!
 
9 Laß uns auch in solchen Schranken
christlich laufen sonder Wanken,
daß uns Lieb und Freundlichkeit
fest verknüpf in dieser Zeit.
Niemand seh in diesem Stücke,
wohl zu leben hie zurücke.
Christus gehet für uns her.
Folget, das ist sein Begehr.
 
10 Wenn die Sonne läuft von ferne,
folgen ihr fast alle Sterne,
und wenn Josua zog aus,
folget ihm Israels Haus.
Du, Herr Jesu, bist die Sonne;
gib, daß wir mit Herzenswonne
folgen dir mit großer Schar,
wohl zu leben immerdar.
 
11 Josua bist du genennet,
der sein kleines Häuflein kennet
und demselben zeigt die Bahn
nach dem rechten Kanaan.
Laß uns solche Weg doch sehen,
daß wir ihn mit Freuden gehen
unter deinem Schutz und Hand
hin zum hochgelobten Land.
 
12 Jesu, du mein Licht und Leben,
deine Schritte sind ganz eben,
und die Stapfen deiner Füß
Halt ich über honigsüß:
Hilf, daß ich im Koth der Sünden
meinen Gang nie laße finden.
Zeig, Herr, deinem armen Knecht
Alle Steg und Wege recht.
 
13 Laß mich deine Gnade spüren,
meinen Tritt also zu führen,
daß ich in der Unschuld geh,
und nicht bei den Spöttern steh.
Hilf, daß ich nicht nur in Freuden,
sondern auch in Kreuz und Leiden
durch so manchen Kampf und Streit
dir zu folgen sei bereit.
 
14 Laß mich, Herr, doch nicht verdrießen,
Angst und Trübsal zu genießen,
weil man weiß, daß diese Bahn
ist ein rechter Unglücksplan,
da man muß in Dörnern baden
und mit Elend sich beladen,
da dann laufend jedermann
gar zu schleunig fallen kann.
 
15 Laß mir doch mein Ziel auf Erden
nicht zu schnell verrücket werden,
daß ich ja das Gnadenlicht
in der Zeit verliere nicht.
Gib, daß ich in meiner Jugend
bis ins Alter mir die Tugend
recht von Herzen, nicht zum Schein
hoch laß angelegen sein.
 
16 Hilf mir, Herr, vor allen Dingen,
meinen Leib so vollenbringen,
daß ich mich in deiner Lieb
und der wahren Demuth üb.
Hilf, daß ich dir hier vertraue
und dich dort mit Freuden schaue.
Jenes gib mir in der Zeit,
dieses in der Ewigkeit.





No comments: