30 March 2024

Gott weiß es alles wohl zu machen

Here is my translation of the Trust hymn, “Gott weiß es alles wohl zu machen” (Ämilia Juliana, Countess of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt, d. ), in GGELB #455 with melody assignment “Wer nur den lieben Gott läßt walten” under the heading “Hymns of comfort in all manner of tribulation,” first appearing in the authoress’s Tägliches Morgen-Mittags- und Abend-Opffer (1699). “Humility and patience in time of suffering.”

 


HOW to do all things well God knoweth,—
For He hath never evil done;
So whether tear or laughter floweth,
He that God’s providence may own,
In grief and gladness holdeth still,
And wills what God’s own will doth will.

2 For no disaster can distress me,
Unless for me God wills distress,
None may in other manner bless me
Than my dear Father’s faithfulness.
Thus whether good or ill it be,
What pleaseth God, that pleaseth me.

3 Yet proofs beyond enumeration
I count of My Creator’s grace,
Which far exceed my adoration
In my imperfect, present case;
From which I certainly conclude:
What God ordains is always good!

4 If God shall happy seasons offer,
And if in fortune’s lap I lie,
I does no harm at times to suffer,
For else conceit may multiply;
The touchstone of my God will see
What tried, attested Christians be.

5 Therefore I ask in cross and blessing,
For humbleness and patience true,
That, in obedience all possessing,
I may myself to God subdue,
And so heed neither weal nor woe,
If in the grace of God I go.

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Gott weiß es alles wohl zu machen,
als der nichts böses je gethan;
wer nur sein Weinen und sein Lachen
nach Gottes Fügung fügen kann,
der hält im Glück und Unglück still,
und will, was Gottes Wille will.

2 Kann doch kein Unfall mir begegnen,
es sei denn Gottes Will dabei;
auch kann mich niemand anders segnen,
als meines Schöpfers Vaterstreu.
So geh mirs nun wohl oder trüb,
Geliebts nur Gott? ist mirs auch lieb.

3 Zwar zähle ich wohl tausend Proben
von meines Schöpfers Gütigkeit,
die ich nicht alle weiß zu loben
in meiner Unvollkommenheit,
daraus unfehlbar schließen kann:
Was Gott thut, das sei wohlgethan.

4 Ergötzen mich die Freudenzeiten,
beherrsche ich des Glückes Schoß;
denn schadet nicht zu Zeiten leiden,
es würde sonst der Muth zu groß.
Auch prüfet Gottes Prüfestein,
was rechtbewährte Christen sein.

5 Drum wünsch ich mir in Kreuz und Glücke
Geduld und Demuth jederzeit,
womit ich mich gehorsamst schicke
zu wahrer Gottgelassenheit,
und achte weder Wohl noch Weh,
wenn ich in Gottes Gnade steh.

No comments: