28 March 2024

Eins hab ich, liebster Vater! dir

 Here is my translation of the Christian obedience hymn, “Eins hab ich, liebster Vater! dir” (Johann Jacob Rambach, d. 1735), in GGELB #419 with melody assignment “Aus tiefer Noth schrei ich zu dir,” first published in the author’s Geistreiches Haus-Gesangbuch (1735) with title “A child’s plea for an obedient heart.”

 



ONE thing, dear Father, I implore
In reverent submission;
I know Thou wilt not me ignore,
But answer my petition,
And with Thy hand send from above
A heart that doth obedience love
And faithfully perform it.

2 With this King David’s pious son
Prayed that he might be gifted
As soon as to his father’s throne
He had as king been lifted;
And this so pleasing was to Thee,
That he was blest abundantly
By Thee with wealth and honor.

3 Obedience was the fairest dress
Worn by Thy Son, our Savior,
Who, under shame and wretchedness,
Paid for all sins forever,
By which we lost our beateous glow,
And made us like the evil foe,
The father of the rebels.

4 How eager was the Savior’s will,
O Father, by His dying
Upon the cross, Thine to fulfill,
In all respects complying.
Oh, such a mind give Thou to me!
I heart and spirit offer Thee,
To do and e’en to suffer.

5 Could my Redeemer humbly bend
Obedient to His mother,
Let me to discipline attend
And honor every other
Who doth in pow’r above me stand—
My elders’ counsel and command—
And till I die obey them!

6 Grant that I may submissive be
When they that teach direct me;
Contrariness and mockery
Let never once infect me;
Defiance, selfish will and thought
Take all away! To me allot
That my will Thine may follow.

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Eins hab ich, liebster Vater! dir
jetzt bittend vorzutragen.
Ich weiß gewiß du schenkst es mir,
du kannst mirs nicht versagen.
Wohl mir! wenn deine Hand mir gibt
ein Herz, das den Gehorsam liebt,
und sich darinnen übet.

2 Dies war, was Davids frommer Sohn
von dir sich ausgebeten,
als er auf seines Vaters Thron
vor kurzem war getreten;
und dies war dir so angenehm,
daß du sein Haupt noch überdem
mit Ehr und Reichthum kröntest.

3 Gehorsam war der schönste Schmuck
an deinem liebsten Kinde,
das unter Armuth, Schmach und Druck
gebüßet hat die Sünde,
die uns um unsern Schmuck gebracht,
und uns dem Satan gleich gemacht,
dem Vater der Rebellen.

4 Wie willig war dies theure Lamm,
o Vater! deinem Willen
bis zu dem Tod am Kreuzesstamm
Gehorsam zu erfüllen!
Ach! gib mir einen gleichen Sinn;
nimm Herz und Geist zum Opfer hin,
im Thun und auch im Leiden.

5 War mein Erlöser unterthan
den mütterlichen Händen,
so laß mein Ohr von Kindheit an
zu guter Zucht sich wenden.
Laß meiner Elter ihr Gebot,
laß ihren Rath, bis in den Tod,
mich durch Gehorsam ehren.

6 Gib, daß ich auch fein folgsam sei,
wenn mich die Lehrer ziehen.
Laß Widerspruch und Spötterei
mich wie den Teufel fliehen;
nimm allen Trotz und Eigensinn,
nimm allen Eigenwillen hin.
Dein Wille sei mein Wille.

No comments: