25 August 2023

Du kommst, großes Licht der Heiden

Here is my translation of the Advent I hymn, “Du kommst, großes Licht der Heiden” (Ernst Homburg, d. 1681, alt. by ? Paul Henkel, d. 1825), in Das Neueingerichtete Gesang-Buch (Newmarket, 1812, etc.), henceforth “NEGB.” It is an adaptation of Homburg’s hymn (set to “Ach was soll ich Sünder machen”) to fit the melody “Gott des Himmels und der Erden” by reordering lines 3 and 4. Several other alterations are also found, few notable, such as the first line, where he changes the question to a statement. Homburg’s hymn first appears in Geistlicher Lieder Erster Theil (Jena, 1659) and was notably included in the Pennsylvania Ministerium hymnal, Erbauliche Lieder-Sammlung (Germantaun [sic], 1786), no. 24, p. 13. It is likely that the Henkels’ focus in this German hymnal was to provide a small, affordable, and simple book geared toward itinerant and rural use. I give both the newer and older text with their melodies, “Gott des Himmels” and “Ach was soll ich” resp.


 


THOU dost come, great Light of nations,
Yea, Thou com’st, and that with speed!
Comfort true in tribulations,
Well Thou knowest what we need:
Jesus, my heart’s portal be
Open evermore to Thee!

2 Thou art near, and nearer pressing,
World’s Redeemer, Virgin’s Son!
Jesus, let Thy gracious blessing
Over all my senses run,
Let it work within me too,
Strength’ning me, the good to do.

3 Crown me with Thy love, dear Savior,
To Thyself my spirit bind,
Teach me love to practice ever,
So shall I in heart and mind
Evermore belong to Thee,
And Thou evermore to me.

4 Stir my mind, O King of Glory,
Jesus, make my lips to part,
For Thy mercy to adore Thee
And love Thee with all my heart:
Since Thou hast, my soul’s dear Guest,
Such great love to me expressed!

5 Lord, Thy Spirit’s gifts availing,
Patience, faith, and love bestow
To refresh my spirit ailing,
So shall I Thy favor know.
So will I unceasingly
Sing Hosanna unto Thee.

Translation © 2023 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Du kommst, großes Licht der Heiden,
ja, du kommst und säumest nicht;
O du starker Trost im Leiden,
der du weißt was mir gebricht.
Jesu, meines Herzensthür
sei dir offen für und für.

2 Ja, du bist bereits zugegen,
du Welt Heiland, Jungfrau Sohn,
deinen gnadenvollen Segen
spüren meine Sinnen schon:
der in meiner Seelen schafft,
und mir gibt zum Guten Kraft.

3 Adle mich durch deine Liebe,
nimm mich dir zu eigen hin,
lehre mich die Liebe üben,
so werd ich mit Herz und Sinn
dir, mein Heiland, ewig sein,
und du bleibest ewig mein.

4 Jesu, rege mein Gemüthe,
Jesu, öffne mir den Mund,
alsdann preis ich deine Güte
und lieb dich von Herzens Grund:
weil du mir, o Seelengast,
so viel Lieb erwiesen hast.

5 Laß durch deines Geistes Gaben,
Liebe, Glauben und Geduld,
mir mein armes Herze laben,
so empfind ich deine Huld;
so will ich denn für und für
Hosianna singen dir.




COM’ST Thou, com’st Thou, Light of nations?
Yea, Thou com’st, and that with speed,
Since Thou knowest what we need.
Comfort true in tribulations,
Jesus, my heart’s door to Thee
Open stands. Come unto me!

2 Thou art near, and nearer pressing,
Mighty Savior, Virgin’s Son!
Through my senses all doth run
Jesus, Thy most gracious blessing,
And Thy wondrous saving pow’r,
That all health and life may flow’r.

3 Crown me with Thy love, dear Savior,
Jesus, this my pray’r receive,
To my mind and sprit give
To pursue Thy love forever:
For to love Thee, precious Light,
Is beyond my pow’r and might.

4 Stir my mind, O King of Glory,
Jesus, make my lips to part,
That I may with all my heart,
For Thy grace in truth adore Thee,
Which Thou hast, my soul’s dear Guest,
Always mightily expressed!

5 Help, Lord, by the Sprit’s living,
Patience, faith, and charity,
And repentance constantly
Thee to meet with glad thanksing;
So will I unceasingly
Sing Hosanna unto Thee.

Translation © 2023 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN

Kommst du, kommst du, licht der Heiden?
Ja, du kommst und säumest nicht,
Weil du weist was uns gebricht.
O du starker Trost in Leiden,
Jesu, meines Herzens Thür
Steht dir offen komm zu mir.

2 Ja, du bist uns ja zugegen,
Grosser Heiland, Jungfraun Sohn,
Meine Sinnen spühren schon
Deinen gnadenvollen Segen,
Deine wunderseelen Kraft,
Die uns Heil und Leben schaft.

3 Adle mich durch deine Liebe,
Jesu, nimm mein Flehen hin,
Schaffe, daß mein Geist und Sinn
Sich in deinem Lieben übe,
Dich zu lieben, süßes Licht!
Steht in meinen Kräften nicht.

4 Jesu, rege mein Gemüthe,
Jesu, öffne mir den Mund,
Daß dich meines Herzensgrund
Innig preise für die Güte,
Die du mir, o Seelengast,
Allezeit erwiesen hast.

5 Hilf, daß durch des Geistes Leben,
Liebe, Glauben und Geduld,
Samt Bereuung meiner Schuld,
Ich zu dir mich mög erheben:
Daß ich endlich für und für
Hosianna singe dir.

No comments: