15 July 2023

O treuer Gott ins Himmels Thron

Here is my translation of the catechetical/youth prayer hymn, “O treuer Gott ins Himmels Thron” (? Bartholomäus Helder, d. 1635), in ELGB #281, which according to Fischer appears with Helder’s melody in the Gotha Cantional II (1655), resembling his style, though not mentioned among Helder’s hymns in Wetzel, who cites a hymn with the same first line from Georg Oesterreicher’s Cantor-Büchlein (Rotenburg/Tauber, 1615). The melody in the Buffalo Synod hymnal is “Wo Gott zum Haus nicht gibt sein Gunst.”

 

 




O FAITHFUL God in heaven’s throne,
I pray Thee through Thy dearest Son
In judgment enter not with me,
For none can stand when judged by Thee.

2 Do not my many sins attend,
With which I often Thee offend;
Be mindful of Thy mercies great
Which never lessen nor abate.

3 Help me henceforth for all my days,
Guard me from sin and all disgrace,
A loving heart bestow on me
To serve my neighbor ceaselessly.

4 When life is o’er, take me at last
With soul and body, safe and fast
Within Thine hand; there let me lie,
And be an heir of heaven high.

Translation © 2023 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
O treuer Gott ins Himmels Thron,
ich bitte Dich durch Deinen Sohn,
geh' ja nicht ins Gericht mit mir,
denn kein mensch kann besteh'n vor Dir.

2 Mein' große Sünde sieh nicht an,
damit ich Dich erzürnet hat,
gedenk an Dein' Barmherzigkeit,
die nicht aufhört in Ewigkeit.

3 Hilf, daß ich forthin alle Stund,
mich hüt' für aller Schand' und Sünd',
gieb mir auch ein liebreiches Herz,
meinem Nächsten zu dienen stets.

4 Endlich nimm mich am letzten End',
mit Leib und Seel in Dein Händ',
und laß mich in Dir schlafen ein,
und Deines Reichs ein Erbe sein.

No comments: