12 July 2023

Ach Gott! bewahre meinen Sinn

Here is my translation of the creedal hymn, "Ach Gott! bewahre meinen Sinn” (Christian Weise, d. 1708), in ELGB #, earlier in the author’s Tugend-Lieder (Wetzel, Hymnop. 3, p. 383). It seems to have lain in relative obscurity for some time. It is found in the Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach-Jena Gsb 1755, no. 358, and still under Herder in 1783, it appears in the same position. We later find it in the Ohio German hymnal of 1870 (GGELB). That Grabau thought highly it (hence his inclusion of it in the Buffalo Synod hymnal) is seen, e.g., from his quotation of the last stanza in Die Wachende Kirche 32, no. 12 (1898), underlining a brief discussion of the Trinity. The appointed melody is “Wo Gott der Herr nicht bei uns hält.”

 

O God, preserve my mind and sense
And with that doctrine leave me
Of which I have full confidence
That there Thou truth dost give me
My faith is what the church confessed
Of old, since the Apostles blest,
Concerning Christ the Savior.

2 I do believe Thy Word alone
Is all this faith’s foundation,
The cov’nant old and new make known
Christ as our one salvation.
There is the truth that maketh wise,
And nothing which men’s minds devise
For godly fear is needed.

3 I do believe Christ loveth me,
And to Thee reconciles me;
He gives His blood a guarantee,
Though mocking death reviles me;
Yet in Thy mercy I abide,
And even for my guilt and pride
Look not for man’s indulgence.

4 That I believe, I can but thank
My Baptism’s holy laver,
Where in Christ Jesus’ blood I sank;
He will not from me waver.
When to repentance me He leads
My soul no new assurance needs:
My Baptism is forever.

5 Yet I believe this faith inside
By fruit is demonstrated,
And God to men is glorified
When works are cultivated.
Though whatsoe’er from love I do,
I add no merit thereunto,
No! ’Tis all Jesus’ merit.

6 I do believe that we are blest
E’en now in expectation,
And from my heart no hand shall wrest
This bold exhilaration.
Where Jesus is, is my abode,
And what He pledges with His blood
Is given in Thy presence.

7 Ah, God, this faith is good and right,
Let only this be granted:
That on this faith before Thy sight
I live with heart well planted,
Until some day Thou leadest me
Where Thou wilt bring me blessedly
From faith to very seeing.

Translation © 2023 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Ach Gott! bewahre meinen Sinn,
und laß mich bei der Lehre,
davon ich schon versichert bin,
daß ich die Wahrheit höre.
Ich glaube, was die Christenheit,
bald Anfangs zur Apostel Zeit,
von ihrem Jesu glaubte.

2 Ich glaube, daß der ganze Grund
auf Deinem Worte stehet,
ja, das der alt' und neue Bund
allein auf Christum gehet,
da find' ich Weisheit und Verstand,
und habe keinen Menschentand
zur Gottesfurcht vonnöthen.

3 Ich glaube, daß mich Jesus liebt,
der mich mit Dir versöhnet
und der sein Blut zum Pfande giebt,
wenn mich auch schon verhöhnet
der Tod, bleib' ich an Deiner Huld,
und werde auch für meine Schuld
auf keinen Ablaß denken.

4 Daß aber ich dies glauben kann,
muß ich der taufe danken,
da zog ich meinen Jesum an,
der nicht will von mir wanken:
ja wenn mich der zu Buße lenkt,
so wird kein neues Pfand geschenkt,
es bleibet bei der Taufe.

5 Doch glaube ich auch, daß die Frucht
den Glauben soll beweisen,
und daß wir eben durch die Zucht
Gott vor den menschen preisen:
wiewohl was ich aus Liebe thu',
da setz' ich kein Verdienst dazu;
nein! Jesus hat's verdienet.

6 Ich glaube, daß wir allbereit
in Hoffnung selig heißen,
und niemand soll die Freudigkeit,
aus meinem Herzen reißen.
Ich bleibe, wo mein Jesus bleibt,
und was Er durch sein Blut verschreibt,
das ist bei Dir bezahlet.

7 Ach Gott! der Glaub' ist recht und gut,
nur wollst Du Gnade geben,
das ich mit recht getrostem Muth,
dies glaub' in meinem Leben;
bis Du mich einsten dahin führst,
wo Du mich selig bringen wirst,
'vom Glauben zu dem Schauen.

No comments: