13 July 2023

Herr, allerhöchster Gott

Here is my translation of the hymn “Herr, allerhöchster Gott” (Anon., 1661), in ELGB #267, first appearing, according to Fischer, in the Vollständiges Hannöversches Gsb (Lüneburg, 1661) edited by Justus Gesenius and David Denicke, for which reason it was thoughtlessly ascribed to one of them by Rambach. In Wetzel, it is ascribed to neither. Peter Busch, mentioned in some places, was only born in 1682. By confusion with another hymn, J. G. Schubert is sometimes given as author. The Breslau Gsb 1715 even names Simon Dach. The text makes reference to the Gospel for Reminiscere Sunday. Thus far Fischer. Despite lack of historical confirmation, we know a few other hymns from the Hanover Gsb tentatively ascribed to Gesenius/Denicke. I also note that the hymn makes reference to the Gospel for Holy Wednesday, the passion according to St. Luke. The title in the Buffalo Synod hymnal is “For strengthening of weak faith.” The melody is “O Gott du frommer Gott.”

 



O LORD our God most High,
From whom as a donation
We every good receive
By faithful supplication!
A sinner, I lament
To Thee, that I, alas,
Fall short of praising Thee
In faith as I desire.

2 Though truly I believe,
My faith doth weakly waver,
And of this faith the foe
Seeks to deprive me ever.
In such distress, O God,
Because my heart in Thee
Puts all its trust, oh, then
My faithful Helper be!

3 Oh, to my soul extend
Thy hand of grace, to mend me;
My weakness help and aid,
And strength and vigor send me:
Though like a mustard seed
My faith be very small,
Let me enjoy in Thee
The greatest growth of all.

4 Though I am weak, let faith
Be active now inside me,
And all Thy strength and pow’r
In me, the weak, be mighty:
Oh, draw me after Thee,
My Lord, my Confidence!
That true faith’s light may grow
Forever more intense.

5 O faithful God, who hast
A spark of faith ignited,
Still fan the flame in me,
That, when distress is sighted,
I may be well prepared
And yet the valiant fight
May wage continually
By virtue of this Light.

6 Lord Jesus, look on me
In grace and mercy only,
As on the wretched wife
Of Cana, poor and lonely,
Weighed down with great distress:
Do Thou my soul defend,
That here my feeble faith
May know no shameful end.

7 Dear Lord, as Thou didst pray
For Peter, that he never
Might from the one true faith
Depart nor, doubting, waver:
Oh, pray for me as well,
My Mediator be,
For such is Thy good will,
And ’twill be good for me.

8 Give ear to me, my God!
My God, perceive my crying,
My supplications hear
And answer all my sighing:
That when this life is done,
I may attain faith’s goal,
And ever know with Thee
The blessing of my soul.

Translation © 2023 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Herr, allerhöchster Gott,
von dem wir alle Gaben,
und was uns nützlich ist,
durch Bitte müssen haben:
Ich Sünder klage dir,
Daß leider! ich nicht kann,
Dich, wie ich gerne wollt,
Im Glauben beten an.

2 Ich gläube ja zwar wohl,
doch mit sehr schwachem Glauben,
den mir noch will darzu
der böse Feind wegrauben.
In solcher Noth, o Gott!
weil ich auf Dich allein
vertraue, wollest Du
mein treuer Helfer sein.

3 Ach! recke Du zu mir
doch Deine Gnaden-Hände,
hilf meiner Schwachheit auf,
und Stärkung mir zusende:
Obschon dem Senf-Korn gleich
mein Glaube ist sehr klein,
so laß ich doch bei mir
in stetem Wachsthum sein.

4 Ich bin zwar schwach, doch sei
der Glaub in mir geschäftig,
und Deine Stärk und Kraft
sei in mir Schwachen kräftig:
Ach! zeuch mich hin zu Dir,
Herr, meine Zuversicht!
auf daß sich mehr in mir
des wahren Glaubens Licht.

5 O frommer Gott, der Du
ein Funklein angezündet
des Glaubens, blas es auf
daß, wenn sich Noth einfindet,
ich wohl gerüstet sei,
und gute Ritterschaft
ausübe allezeit,
durch dieses Lichtes Kraft.

6 Herr Jesu! blicke Du
mich an aus lauter Gnaden,
wie Du das arme Weib
von Cana, das beladen
mit vielem Unglück war:
Vertritt Du mich bei Gott,
damit mein schwacher Glaub
hier werde nicht zu Spott.

7 Ach, lieber Herr! wie Du
für Petrum hast gebeten,
daß er nicht möchte ab
vom wahren glauben treten;
so bitte auch für mich,
der Du mein Mittler bist,
weil es Dein Wille ja,
und mir ersprießlich ist.

8 Erhöre mich, mein Gott!
mein Gott, mich doch erhöre,
merk auf mein Flehen, und
der Bitte mich gewähre,
daß ich des Glaubens Ziel,
der Seelen Seligkeit,
erlange dort einmal
bei Dir in Ewigkeit.




No comments: