14 July 2023

Jesu, stärke meinen Glauben

Here is my translation of the trust hymn, “Jesu, stärke meinen Glauben” (Anna Sophie of Hessia-Darmstadt, d. 1683), in ELGB #268, originally appearing in the authoress’s Der treue Seelenfreund Christus Jesus (Jena, 1658) on the 11th spiritual meditation, “Of faith as the fourth means by which we enter Jesus’ family.” This chapter is accompanied by two hymns with the introduction “Hereupon two hymns, in the first of which a Christ-loving soul thanks his Jesus for faith; and in the second, prays for increase of faith.” Our hymn is the second. (Thus far Fischer.) The appointed melody is “Freu dich sehr, o meine Seele.”

 



STRENGTHEN Thou my faith, O Jesus,
That it may not shaken be
By opinion’s aimless breezes;
Let it, from dissembling free,
Only in Thy Word abide
Changeless through all time and tide,
Thereon in reliance plant me
And to hold it firmly, grant me.

2 Then, if Satan seek to snare me,
What to me are all his cords?
How should flames of Hades scare me?
I am free from all their hordes.
For Thou, Jesus, art with me,
Therefore I abide with Thee.
Suffer me to leave Thee never;
I would stay with Thee forever.

3 Let Thy Spirit rule and guide me,
Lord, according to Thy Word
And with wisdom’s light provide me,
Refuge by no tempest stirred!
Thou in faith dost me uphold
’Gainst the devil, sin, and world;
Though they seek to bite and rend me,
Thou canst easily defend me.

4 Thou wilt set the crown of glory
On my head forevermore;
Thou wilt honor me before Thee
And unbar the heav’nly door.
Lord, by Thee my soul was bought;
I believe and doubt this not:
Yonder Thou wilt also give me
Joy where nothing shall aggrieve me.

Translation © 2023 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Jesu stärke meinen Glauben,
daß er nicht gegründet sei
auf zerbrochne Meinungs-Schrauben,
daß er ohne Heuchelei
bleib allein bei Deinem Wort
unverrücket fort und fort,
daß ich mich darauf verlasse,
und mit festem Glauben fasse.

2 Dann mag Satan Netze stellen,
was frag; ich nach seinem Strick?
ja, was frag ich nach der Höllen,
ich bin frei von ihrer Tück;
denn Du, Jesu, bist bei mir,
drum bleib ich auch stets bei Dir,
laß mich nichts von Dir abtreiben,
ich will treulich bei Dir bleiben.

3 Laß mich Deinen Geist regieren,
liebster Herr, nach Deinem Wort,
und auf Deinen Wegen führen,
denn Du bist mein treuer Hort,
der im Glauben mich erhält,
wider Teufel, Sünd und Welt;
wenn sie noch so gräulich wüthen,
kannst du mich doch wohl behüten.

4 Du, Du wirst die Ehren-Crone
ungezweifelt schenken mir,
Du wirst mir zum Gnaden-Lohne
thuen auf die Himmelsthür.
Herr, ich bleibe Dir verpflicht,
Herr, ich glaub und zweifle nicht,
Du wirst mir nach diesem Leben,
auch des Himmels Freude geben.

No comments: