24 July 2023

O Angst und Leid

Here is my translation of the repentance hymn “O Angst und Leid” (Johann Franck, d. 1677), in ELGB #313, first published in Runge’s Gsb (Berlin, 1653). The title, of unknown origin: “Anxious lament of a contrite heart which feels and groans at the weight of its sins,” is given by Koch, and also included in Grabau’s hymnal. The appointed melody is “O Traurigkeit, o Herzeleid.”

 


O GRIEF and fear!
O suff’ring clear!
What pain is my possession
As my conscience gnaws at me
For all my transgression!

2 O horror dread!
In hunger spread
The jaws of hell before me,
Whither I have often run—
Now they would devour me!

3 Oh, woe is me!
O misery!
Where shall I flee to hide me?
Oh, if only some deep pit
Cov’ring could provide me!

4 In all earth’s bound
No haunt is found
Where I may dwell securely;
To th’ abyss my wickedness
Will compel me surely!

5 What sentence stern
I there shall learn
Before the throne of heaven,
Since by carnal passions I
Let myself be driven.

6 Thee, Christ, I greet,
My Mercy-seat,
Me in Thy wounds concealing,
For therein I ever have
Found true rest and healing.

7 Thy holy Blood
Shed for my good,
Upon the cross bright-glowing
Is a fount whence I receive
My salvation flowing.

8 O Savior, make
Me to partake
Of Thy dear satisfaction;
Bury henceforth in Thy tomb
Every grave infraction.

9 O Shepherd true!
If Satan too
Should cry of my wrongdoing,
Still him by Thy merits vast,
My faint hope renewing!

Translation © 2023 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
1 O Angst und Leid!
o Traurigkeit!
die ich jetzt muß empfinden,
die jetzt mein Gewissen nagt
wegen meine Sünden.

2 O Furcht und Graus!
das höllen-Haus!
darnach ich pflegt' zu ringen,
hat den Rachen aufgesperrt,
und will mich verschlingen.

3 O Ach und Weh!
o Schrecken-See!
wo soll ich mich verstecken?
Ach! daß doch die tiefe Gruft
möchte mich bedecken.

4 Der Erden Saum
hat keinen Raum,
d'rin ich kann sicher bleiben,
meine Bosheit will mich ganz
in dan Abgrund treiben.

5 Wie werd' ich dort
so strenge Wort'
für Gottes Rictstuhl hören;
weil ich mich die Fleisches Lust
lassen so bethören.

6 O Gottes-Sohn!
Du Gnaden-Thron!
ich flieh in Deine Wunden,
darin hab' ich jederzeit
Ruh und Lind'rung funden.

7 Dein heilig Blut,
das mir zu gut
am Creuze ward vergossen,
ist en Brunn, daraus das Heil
kommt auf mich geflossen.

8 Darum, mein Heil,
laß mich jetzt Theil
an Deinem Gnugthun haben,
meine Sünde wird hinfort
in Dein Grab begraben.

9 O treuer Hirt!
wann Satan wird
mein' Ueppigkeit verklagen,
so still' ihn durch Dein Verdienst,
sonst muß ich verzagen.

No comments: