28 July 2023

Jesu, meiner Seelen Ruh

Here is my translation of the Jesus hymn, “Jesu, meiner Seelen Ruh (Anon., asc. Lucas Backmeister), in ELGB #, first published, evidently, in Olearius’s Singe-Kunst (1671) anonymously in 12 stanzas. Fischer says that Grischow-Kirchner’s Nachricht (Halle, 1771) ascribes it to Lucas Backmeister under appeal to “Georg. Schedii Parentat” (Rostock, 1638), but leaves it uncertain whether the father (d. 1608) or son (d. 1638) is meant. Wetzel does not mention it among Backmeister’s hymns, but those he does mention are not his either! Not seldom, hymns from the Lüneburger Drucken (Lunenburg Press) were marked in hymnals as “L. B.,” which was often mistakenly interpreted as Lucas Backmeister, such as Rist’s “Glück zu der frommen Heiden Schaar” and “O Tod wo ist dein Stachel nun,” etc. The appointed melody is “Jesu, komm du selbst zu mir,” or in same books, “Nun komm der Heiden Heiland.”

 



JESUS, Thou my perfect Rest,
Thou above all treasures best,
Thou alone art all to me,
And forever all shalt be.

2 Though the world may higher hold
Precious treasures, wealth, and gold,
Jesus and His priceless blood
Please me more than every good.

3 Though my enemies arise
Threat’ning me before mine eyes,
Jesus saves from all my foes,
Devil, hell, and death o’erthrows.

4 Am I sick, and for my grief
No man can provide relief?
He, the Healer, in my pain
Doth my faithful Help remain.

5 Am I naked, poor, and bare,
Little have to call my share?
Jesus in due time is found,
And my need doth turn around.

6 Must I into exile go
And my homeland no more know?
Jesus for my need attends,
Wondrously my soul defends.

7 Must I scorn and mock’ry bear
Which against God’s statutes are?
Jesus aids and strengthens me
To defy all mockery.

8 Honey, sugar may impart
Certain vigor to the heart,
Yet than these more sweet I hold
Jesus Christ a thousandfold.

9 Therefore, Jesus, Thee I’ll love
Evermore all things above;
Thou, O Jesus—Thou shalt be
All and everything to me:

10 Jesus what the ear doth heed,
Jesus what the eye doth read,
Jesus what the tongue doth taste
And is by the arm embraced.

11 Jesus, be my food and drink,
Jesus, all that I may think,
Jesus, all my hymn of praise,
Jesus, all for all my days!

12 At the last, my highest Good,
Jesus, let Thy precious blood,
Wounds, and agony and pain
In my death my rest remain!

Translation © 2023 Matthew Carver.


GERMAN
1 Jesu, meiner Seelen Ruh,
und mein bester Schatz dazu,
Alles bist Du mir allein,
sollt auch ferner Alles sein.

2 Liebet jemand in der Welt
edle Schätze, Gold und Geld,
Jesus und sein theures Blut
ist mir mehr dann alles Gut.

3 Stellen meiner Feinde sich
öffentlich gleich wider mich,
Jesus reißt aus aller Noth,
tilget Teufel, Höll und Tod.

4 Bin ich krank, und ist kein Mann,
der die Schmerzen linder kann,
Jesus soll mein Arzt in Pein,
und mein treuer Helfer sein.

5 Bin ich nackend, arm und bloß,
und mein Vorrath ist nich groß,
Jesus hilft zur rechten Zeit
meiner armen Dürftigkeit.

6 Muß ich in das Elend fort
hin an einen fremden Ort,
Jesus sorget selbst für mich,
schützet mich ganz wunderlich.

7 Muß ich dulden Hohn und Spott
wider Gott und sein Gebot;
Jesus giebt mir Kraft und Macht
daß ich allen Spott nicht acht'.

8 Hat der Bienen Honig Saft
und der Zucker süsse Kraft;
mein herzliebster Jesus Christ
tausendmal noch süsser ist.

9 Drum, o Jesu, will ich Dich
immer lieben festiglich;
Du, Du Jesu, sollt allein
meiner Seelen Alles sein.

10 Jesus, was durch Ohren bricht,
Jesus was das Auge sicht,
Jesus was die Zunge schmeckt,
und wornach die Hand sich streckt.

11 Jesus, sei mein' Speis' und Trank,
Jesus sei mein Lobgesang,
Jesus sei mein ganzes All,
Jesus sei mein Freudenschall.

12 Endlich laß Du höchstes Gut,
Jesu laß Dein theures Blut,
Deine Wunden, Deine Pein
meine Rast im Tode sein.

No comments: