10 July 2023

Wenn ich die heilgen zehn Gebot

Here is my supplemental translation of the Ten Commandments hymn, “Wenn ich die heilgen zehn Gebot” (David Denicke, d. ), in ELGB #259, first appearing in the Hanover Gsb (Lüneburg, 1652ff.). Fischer says: “The hymn is based on Luther’s ‘Dies sind die heilgen zehn Gebot’ and treats especially the close of the Commandments.” It was included in Crüger’s Praxis with omission of stanzas 15–16, 19, 22, thus reduced to 18 stanzas, which became the generally accepted form (though the Kirchen-Gsb 1862 includes st. 16). The translation by Rev. C. H. L. Schuette in the Ohio Hymnal (1865) contains 8 stanzas, the last 4 summarizing material from the second half of the hymn. I have used his stanzas 2–4, but created a new first stanza to bring the wording more in line with the original. The appointed melody is “Dies sind die heilgen Zehn Gebot,” with the extra syllable in the last full line (thus 8.8.8.8.4), which means splitting the half-note on C between two syllables (or using the appropriate form of the melody).

 



WHEN I the holy Ten Commands
Behold, O God, which from Thy hands,
Were given, terror filleth me,
That I’ve so sorely angered Thee.
Kyrieleis.

2 I've loved the creature more than Thee
And sinned against Thy majesty;
My love and trust to Thee denied,
On self and man my soul relied.
Kyrieleis.

3 My lips have oft, from heart profane,
Employed Thy holy name in vain;
Forgetful of Thy cov'nant grace,
How seldom have I sought Thy face!
Kyrieleis.

4 In sinful cares, or work, or play,
I've often spent Thy holy day,
Despised Thy Word, strayed from Thy fold,
And left Thy benefits untold.
Kyrieleis.

5 I have not honored every hour
My parents, teachers, those in pow’r,
Have heeded not their faithful care,
Nor served them with a willing air.
Kyrieleis.

6 My neighbor I’ve not truly loved,
But spiteful and malicious proved,
Strife, quarreling I have begun,
By wrath and hate much sin have done.
Kyrieleis.

7 I have impurity embraced,
Nor lived a holy life and chaste,
And oft in food and drink have not
Of godly moderation thought.
Kyrieleis.

8 My I have not worked with eager hand
As duty would of me demand;
Unjustly have I goods acquired,
To help the poor have not aspired.
Kyrieleis.

9 I’ve listened to the sland’rers crude,
Nor all things for the best construed,
I have not striven constantly
For goodness, truth, and equity.
Kyrieleis.

10 By cunning with fair features wed,
My neighbor’s goods I’ve coveted,
And all the things which round him stand,
His office, cattle, house, and land.
Kyrieleis.

11 O mighty God above the skies!
Who Thee and Thy commands despise
Wrath and disfavor to the third
And fourth child’s child they have incurred.
Kyrieleis.

12 The thousandth generation, though,
Thy grace and peace await and know;
They love Thy Law and love Thee, Lord,
Above all lust and man’s reward.
Kyrieleis.

13 No such intent, alas, I see,
For no good thing doth dwell in me:
My heart and mind have not been set
Upon Thy promise and Thy threat.
Kyrieleis.

14 My every thought since earliest youth
Is turned away from good and truth.
I am corrupt from head to toe
Without an ounce of good to show.
Kyrieleis.

*15 As water spilling from a fount,
So sin and vice too vast to count,
From out my heart have freely spilled
And all my deeds and gestures filled.

*16 What man can count how oft he errs,
Until his conscience in him stirs;
Were I to answer in Thy court,
I must a thousand times fall short.
Kyrieleis.

17 Look, Father, on my misery
And pardon my iniquity!
In grace and favor take away
The heavy fine which I should pay.
Kyrieleis.

18 Remember, Christ Thy Son for me
Became a curse upon the Tree
And for my sins redemption made,
Which sins upon Himself He laid.
Kyrieleis.

*19 Here Thy New Covenant is set,
Wherein no curse my soul doth fret.
It grace and blessing bringeth me
And makes me from sin’s bondage free.
Kyrieleis.

20 Because In Christ I live anew,
Created His good works to do.
Thy Spirit’s gift set in my heart,
That I from evil may depart.
Kyrieleis.

21 That I may live within Thy will,
And war against sin’s passions still,
And evermore may strive, that I
The narrow gate may enter by.
Kyrieleis.

*22 God, Father, help me from Thy throne!
Help, O Lord Jesus, God’s true Son!
Help, Holy Spirit! Strengthen me,
That I may serve Thee willingly.
Kyrieleis.

Translation sts. 2–4 Schuette.
Translation sts. 1, 5–19 © 2023 Matthew Carver.


SCHUETTE 1865 (Ohio), sts 1-4 + (v, vii, xvi, xvii?)
Almighty Lord of earth and heav'n,
The Ten Commandments Thou hast giv'n
Reveal how wicked I have been
And make me dread the curse of sin.

2 I've loved the creature more than Thee
And sinned against Thy majesty;
My love and trust to Thee denied,
On self and man my soul relied.

3 My lips have oft, from heart profane,
Employed Thy holy name in vain;
Forgetful of Thy cov'nant grace,
How seldom have I sought Thy face!

4 In sinful cares, or work, or play,
I've often spent Thy holy day,
Despised Thy Word, strayed from Thy fold,
And left Thy benefits untold.

5 My parents oft I've disobeyed,
Their good with evil deeds repaid;
I've been unchaste in word and deed
And careless of my neighbor's need.

6 With hateful thoughts my heart's been stained,
Nor have I aye my tongue restrained;
I've coveted what was not mine,
And so transgressed Thy law divine.

7 Ah, how my sins are multiplied
When by Thy law my life is tried!
O jealous God, do pity me
And mark not mine iniquity!

8 Let grace to judgment be preferred;
Remove the curse I have incurred;
For Jesus' sake my sins forgive,
And may I to Thy glory live.


GERMAN
1 Wenn ich die heilgen zehn Gebot
betrachte, die Du selbst, o Gott!
gegeben hast, erschrecke ich,
daß ich so sehr erzürnet Dich.
Kyrieleis.

2 Ich hab die Creatur weit mehr
geliebt, als Dich und deine Ehr;
Dich nicht gefürchtt, Dir nicht vertraut,
auf mich und Menschen-Hülf gebaut.
Kyrieleis.

3 Ich habe deinn Namn und Bund
vergeblich oft geführt im Mund,
mit Herzens-Andacht nicht betrachtt,
Herr, Deine Weisheit, Güt und Macht.
Kyrieleis.

4 Ich hab zubracht den Sabbath-Tag
in Wollust, oder Müh und Plag:
Dein Wort versäumt und nicht gepreist,
was Du für Wohlthat mir ersweist.
Kyrieleis.

5 Ich habe nicht geehrt allzeit
die Eltern, Lehrer, Obrigkeit,
ihr Treu und Sorge nicht erkannt,
auch nicht gedient mit willger Hand.
Kyrieleis.

6 Ich hab den Nächsten nicht geliebt,
vielmehr geneidet und betrübt;
Zank, Hader, Streit gefangen an,
durch Zorn und Rachgier Sünd gethan.
Kyrieleis.

7 Ich hab unreine Lust gesucht,
nicht Heiligkeit geliebt und Zucht;
zum öftern auch in Trank und Speis
hindan gesetzet Maaß und Weis.
Kyrieleis.

8 Ich hab mein Amt nicht so verrichtt,
wie es erfordert meine Pflicht:
mit Unrecht Gut an mich gebracht,
den Armen nicht mit Hülf bedacht.
Kyrieleis.

9 Ich hab den Lästrer gern gehört,
nicht alls zum Besten vorgekehrt,
mich nicht beflissen jederzeit
der Wahrheit und Aufrichtigkeit.
Kyrieleis.

10 Ich hab mit Rechtes Schein und List
begehrt, was meines Nächsten ist,
was sich an Gütern bei ihm findt,
sein Amt, sein Haus, Land, Vieh Gesind.
Kyrieleis.

11 Ach starker und ewiger Gott,
wer Dich verachtt und Dein Gebot,
des Lohn ist Zorn und Ungenad,
bis in den dritten, vierten Grad.
Kyrieleis.

12 Der aber hat in tausend Glied
hie zu erwarten Gnad und Fried,
der Dich, Herr, liebt, und Dein Gesetz
hält über Lust und alle Schätz.
Kyrieleis.

13 Solch Vorsatz, leider! ist nicht hier,
es wohnet gar nichts Guts in mir:
ich habe nicht darnach getrachtt,
was Du gedräut und zugesagt.
Kyrieleis.

14 Mein Tichten ist von Jugend auf
sehr bös im ganzen Lebens-Lauf;
denn ich ganz von der Scheitel hin
verderbt bis auf die Fußsohl bin.
Kyrieleis.

*15 Wie nun ein Brunn sein Wasser quillt,
so hat mein Herz auch angefüllt
mein Thun und lassen allzumal
mit Sünd und Lastern ohne Zahl.
Kyrieleis.

*16 Wer merket auch, wie oft er fehlt,
bis sein Gewissen ihn drum quält:
sollt ich antworten vor Gericht,
ich könnt auf tausend eines nicht.
Kyrieleis.

17 Ach! Vater, sieh mein Elend an,
verzeihe mir, was ich gethan,
nimm weg durch Deine Güt und Huld
die schwere Straf, die ich verschuldt.
Kyrieleis.

18 Gedenk, daß Dein Sohn, Jesus Christ,
ein Fluch am Holze worden ist
für mich und meine Missethat,
die Er auf sich genommen hat.
Kyrieleis.

*19 Der neue Bund ist da gestift,
kein Fluch mich in demselben trifft:
er bringet Segn, Gnad, und dabei,
daß ich vom Sündendienst bin frei.
Kyrieleis.

20 Weil ich denn bin in Christo nun
geschaffen, gute Werk zu thun,
so gieb mir Deines Geistes Gab,
daß ich vom Bösen lasse ab.
Kyrieleis.

21 Daß ich nach Deinem Willen leb,
der Sünden-Lust stets widerstreb,
und darnach ringe fort und fort,
daß ich eingeh zur engen Pfort.
Kyrieleis.

*22 Gott Vater, hilf von deinem Thron,
hilf, o Herr Jesu, Gottes Sohn,
hilf, heilger Geist, und stärke mich,
daß ich dir diene williglich.
Kyrieleis.

No comments: