06 April 2024

Ich hoff auf dich in allen Nöthen

Here is my translation of the Cross & Comfort hymn, “Ich hoff auf dich in allen Nöthen” (Anon., 18th c.?), in GGELB #459, with melody assignment “Wer nur den lieben Gott läßt walten.” It is absent from Fischer’s lexicon. GGELB has it evidently from Breslau 1751, that is, “Burg’s” hymnal, where it has the title “Hope amid Cross”; I also find it earlier in Halle 1744, no. 670, with title “Of Comfort in Time of Need.” Ps. 13:6, and no ascription; also Weissenfels 1750.

 

IN every need on Thee I stay me,
My God, because Thou gracious art;
Thou never wilt forsake or slay me,
Though fear and sorrow fill my heart.
If mighty grief break in on me,
Thou still my shining Sun wilt be.

2 Betimes Thou tarriest at a distance
When crosses press most heavily;
Yet Thou art ready with assistance,
And soon thereafter quick’nest me.
Thou art alone my Helper, Lord,
When other men no help afford.

3 For this I’ll bring an off’ring fitting;
Set Thou my altar-heart afire;
I’ll sing Thy mercy unremitting,
And offer Thee myself entire;
My pray’r and sighs to Thee ascend;
Thou wilt Thy help and comfort send.

4 I praise with humble adoration
Thy grace and mercy to me shown;
Be Thou my constant jubilation,
And still defend me as Thine own.
O faithful God, give ear to me!
My heart is stayed alone on Thee.

Translation © 2024 Matthew

GERMAN
Ich hoff auf dich in allen Nöthen,
mein Gott! weil du so gnädig bist;
ich weiß, daß du mich nicht wirst töten,
obgleich mein Herz voll Jammers ist.
Bricht gleich der Trübsal Macht herein,
willst du doch meine Sonne sein.

2 Bisweilen stehst du zwar von ferne,
wenn mich das Kreuz am härtsten drückt;
doch hilft du mir von Herzen gerne,
ich werde bald darauf erquickt.
Du bist allein mein Helfersmann,
wenn mich sonst niemand retten kann.

3 Ich will dafür ein Opfer bringen,
mein frohes Herz ist der Altar,
ich will von deiner Güte singen,
ich opfre mich dir ganz und gar.
Gebet und Seufzer steigen auf,
du sendest Trost und Hülfe drauf.

4 Ich rühme deine Güt und Treue,
daß du sowohl an mir gethan:
Gib, daß ich stets in dir mich freue,
und nimm dich meiner ferner an.
Getreuer Gott, erhöre mich,
mein Herze hofft allein auf dich.

No comments: