01 April 2024

Ach treuer Gott, ich ruf zu dir (supplement)

 Here is my supplemental translation of the Christian life (contentment) hymn, “Ach treuer Gott, ich ruf zu dir” (David Denike, d. 1680), in GGELB #432 with melody assignment “Aus tiefer Noth schrei ich zu dir” and omitting stanzas 4–6, 8–12, 17; first appearing in Hanover Gsb 1652 with melody “Es ist gewisslich.” Fischer notes that the last 5 stanzas often appear as a separate hymn, somewhat analogous to the Cox’s translation of stanzas 1, 13–16 (Lüneburg 1661 next to st. 13 has 3 asterisks, indicating a possible alternate starting-point). Another translation, “Most Holy God, to Thee I Cry” by Lady Eleanor Fortescue, in Hymns, Mostly from the German, was unavailable for comparison at the time of this translation.

 


MY God! I call upon Thy name,
To aid me in expelling
The thirst for pleasure, wealth, and fame,
Within my bosom dwelling.
Order my steps by Thy just Word,
And grace and strength thereby afford,
My foe’s dread influence quelling.

2 Shall He who gives the cattle food
And who the raven feedeth,
Not give us food and drink, whose good
His creatures’ needs well heedeth?
Shall He who dresses grass and flow’r
Not well provide us by His pow’r
Our good and needful raiment?

3 By many goods man liveth not;
His God he glorifieth,
And by the work that he hath wrought
His clothes and food supplieth.
And whether we should more receive,
Our Father knows. To Him we leave
What best will serve His children.

4 Who hath a little rightfully
May also have God’s favor,
If honest, good, and plain he be,
And let God manage ever.
His little lot may prosper more
Than many villains’ wealthy store
By evil methods gotten.

5 For those who get such wealth are oft
In guile and force embroilèd;
A man who piles his coins aloft
Hath oft a host despoilèd.
How he may have more coins to clink
He night and day doth toil and think,
And to his shame proceedeth.

6 Their friends and heirs with frequency
Are pleased at such men’s ending,
And may find unexpectedly
Him to the grave descending.
The greedy man himself aggrieves
With thoughts of profit while he lives,
And cannot find true gladness.

7 And when the parting hour arrives,
They are by grief surrounded;
No more the hope or comfort thrives
Which in their gold was founded.
For gold and goods can save them not,
The day when God’s great wrath is brought,
And burns them to damnation.

8 What with perpetual distress
Their earthly joy demolished
Is proved but filth and nothingness,
However finely polished.
God’s hand first fashioned that in earth
On which they place the greatest worth
And worship as their idol.

9 But he who heart and spirit lifts
From earth to God in heaven,
Seeks while he lives, to gather gifts
Of works by grace God-given.
When God makes blessings on him rain,
He giveth to the poor again
With eager heart and joyful.

10 He with his goods doth demonstrate
What wealth these things surpasses;
He scatters, yet what treasures great
In heaven he amasses,
Which flee not as a cloud of dust,
But from the thief and most and rust
Remain secure forever.

11 It is indeed a treasure dear
Which never man repented,
When he his God doth trust and fear,
And therein is contented.
Into the world we naked come,
And naked must our temp’ral home
Depart when God decideth.

12 Lord, let me earn my sustenance
As never may offend Thee;
Deign through my faithful diligence
All needful things to send me.
Me and my children’s children bless,
That we may not in our distress
Be made to go a-begging.

13 My soul its rest can never find
In earth's fast fleeting pleasure;
As smoke before the passing wind,
So fades all earthly treasure;
Immortal is the soul of man,
And only joys immortal can
Fill up its perfect measure.

14 Seek I such rest on earth-though bright,
Earth’s joys are far below it;
No vain delight of sense or sight,
Nor pomps of life bestow it;
Then from these joys I
ll turn away,
And on my God my heart I
ll stay,
His fulness shall o
erflow it.

15 Thou, Lord, my wealth and fame shalt be,
My pleasure never ceasing;
Then let my soul
s deep thirst for Thee Be evermore increasing;
Fixing on Thee Faith
s tranquil eye,
To earth and self now make me die,
My captive soul releasing.

16 With heart already placed on high,
Lord, let me walk before Thee,
Where I through all eternity
Shall see Thee and adore Thee;
So shall my soul be truly blest,
And find in Thee that joy and rest,
For which I oft implore Thee.

17 For this, O Father, from Thy throne
Thy grace and strength’ning send me.
Destroy, O Christ, the Father’s Son,
The foe, and e’er defend me.
O Holy Ghost, be Thou my Stay,
That my desire may be alway
To love God o’er all other.

Translation sts. 1, 13–16, Frances Cox, 1840.
Translation sts. 2–12, 17 © 2024 Matthew Carver.

COX
1 MY God! I call upon thy name,
To aid me in expelling
The thirst for pleasure, wealth, and fame,
Within my bosom dwelling.
Order my steps by thy just word,
And grace and strength thereby afford,
My foe's dread influence quelling.

13 My soul its rest can never find
In earth's fast fleeting pleasure;
As smoke before the passing wind,
So fades all earthly treasure;
Immortal is the soul of man,
And only joys immortal can
Fill up its perfect measure.

14 Seek I such rest on earth-though bright,
Earth's joys are far below it;
No vain delight of sense or sight,
Nor pomps of life bestow it;
Then from these joys I'll turn away,
And on my God my heart I'll stay,
His fulness shall o'erflow it.

15 Thou, Lord, my wealth and fame shalt be,
My pleasure never ceasing;
Then let my soul's deep thirst for Thee
Be evermore increasing;
Fixing on Thee Faith's tranquil eye,
To earth and self now make me die,
My captive soul releasing.

16 With heart already placed on high,
Lord, let me walk before Thee,
Where I through all eternity
Shall see Thee and adore Thee;
So shall my soul be truly blest,
And find in Thee that joy and rest,
For which I oft implore Thee.


GERMAN
Ach treuer Gott! ich ruf zu dir,
hilf, daß mich nicht bethöre.
Die böse Lust, die steckt in mir
nach Reichthum, Wollust, Ehre:
Gieb, daß ich an dein Wort mich halt,
und dadurch was mich mannigfalt
anfichtet, überwinde.

2 Sollt, der dem Vieh sein Futter schafft,
und speiset auch die Raben,
nicht lassen uns durch seine Kraft
auch Trank und Speise haben?
Sollt, der das Gras und Blumen ziert,
an Kleidung nicht, was uns gebührt
und nöthig ist, mittheilen?

3 Von vielen Gütern lebt man nicht,
der hat, daß er Gott preise,
wer bei dem Werk, daß er verricht,
hat Kleidung, Trank und Speise.
Ob uns ein mehrers werden soll,
das weiß er, als der Vater wohl,
obs seinen Kindern nütze.

4 Wer wenig hat und das mit Recht,
kann Gottes Huld behalten;
er bleibet redlich fromm und schlecht,
läßt fort den Höchsten walten.
Sein wenigs ihm auch baß gedeiht,
als großes Gut viel böse Leut,
daß sie erschunden haben.

5 Denn Reichthum durch Gewalt und List
am meisten wird erworben.
Ein Mann, der groß von Mitteln ist,
viel andre hat verdorben.
Und daß sich mehr des Geldes hauf,
so denkt er Tag und Nacht darauf,
und geht her wie ein Schämen.

6 Die Freund und Erben lachen oft,
wenn sichs mit ihm will enden;
auch kriegt da mancher unverhofft,
daß er kann frisch verschwenden;
Der Geizhalz aber plaget sich,
so lang er lebt, und innerlich
kann er sich nie recht freuen.

7 Und wenn es an das Scheiden geht, [Ein Trost, der nur auf Reichthum steht,]
da ist erst Noth vorhanden; [wird unverhofft zu Schanden,]
der Trost, die Hoffnung so da steht [und wenn es an das Scheiden geht,]
im Goldklump, wird zuschanden. [dann ist Noth erst zuhanden;]
Denn Geld und Gut nicht retten kann […errettet nicht,]
am Tag, da Gottes Zorn bricht an, [von Gottes ewigem Gericht,]
der brennt bis in die Hölle. [das einst die Sünder schrecket.]

8 Was ihn denn hat in ewge Noth
an Leib und Seel geführet,
das ist nur lauter Dreck und Koth,
wie schön mans auch polieret;
Die Erde hats erfür gebracht,
das er zum Götzen ihm gemacht,
denn er allhier gedienet.

9 Hingegen, wer sein Herz erhebt
gen Himmel von der Erde,
sucht, daß er reich, dieweil er lebt,
an guten Werken werde.
Wenn Gott ihn segnet und sein Haus,
theilt er den Armen wieder aus,
und giebt es gern und fröhlich.

10 Bei seinem Gut erweist er noch,
daß ers darauf nicht setze.
Er streuet aus, und sammelt doch
im Himmel wahre Schätze.
Die fliegen niemals auf im Rauch,
und sind darneben sicher auch
vor Dieben, Rost und Motten.

11 Es ist fürwahr ein groß Gewinn,
der keinen je betrüget,
wenn man Gott traut und fürchtet ihn,
und sich dabei begnüget.
Bloß sind wir kommen in dei Welt,
bloß müssen wir, wenns Gott gefällt
hinaus, und alles lassen.

12 Herr, was mir hier vonnöthen thut,
mich ehrlich zu ernähren,
das wollst du mir an Hab und Gut
bei meinem Fleiß bescheren.
Daß ich, mein Same auch nach mir,
nicht andern Leuten vor der Thür
aus Noth aufwarten dürfe.

13 Ach! meine Seel kann ihre Ruh
im Zeitlichen nicht finden.
Was ich da fürnehm oder thu,
wie Rauch pflegt zu verschwinden.
Unsterblich ist die Seel, und muß
unsterblich sien, was ohn Verdruß
dieselbe soll vergnügen.

14 Nun ist nichts auf der Welt bewußt,
das solche Ruh könn geben,
nicht Augenlust, nicht Fleischeslust,
nicht hoffärtiges Leben.
Drum will ich auch nicht denken drauf,
und mein Gemüth zu Gott hinauf
und seiner Fülle richten.

15 O höchstes Gut! sei hier und dort
mein Reichthum, Lust und Ehre.
Gieb, daß in mir sich fort und fort
das Sehnen nach dir mehre.
Daß ich dich stets vor Augen hab,
mir selbst und allem sterbe ab,
daß mich ovn dir will ziehen.

16 Hilf, daß ich meinem Wandel führ
bei dir im Himmel oben,
Da ich werd ewig sein bei dir,
dich schauen, und dich loben.
So kann mein Herz zufrieden sein,
und findet Gott, in dir allein
die wahre Ruh und Freude.

17 Hierzu gieb mir von deinem Thron,
o Vater! Gnad und Stärke.
Zerstör, o Jesu, Gottes Sohn,
des Satans Reich und Werke.
O Heilger Geist! steh du mir bei,
daß mein Begehren diß nur sei,
Gott über alles lieben.

1 comment:

Robster said...

I see that Lady Fortescue's book is in a few U.S. libraries. Whether or not they would loan is another matter. Sometimes they can be convinced to prepare a pdf scan. Kindly, Rob Stoltz, Portland, Oregon.