14 April 2024

Ich sterbe täglich und mein Leben

Here is my translation of the Death & Burial hymn, “Ich sterbe täglich und mein Leben” (Benjamin Schmolck, d. 1737), in GGELB #475 with melody assignment “Wer weiß wie nahe mir mein Ende”; first appearing in the author’s Freuden-Öl und Trost-Lieder (1720) with title “Mournful thoughts concerning a sudden death,” and with initials superscribed: “H. A. V. S. A. L.,” which Bode, says Fischer, surmises may mean Herzog Augustus von Sachsen, albertinischer Linie. A translation by J. Kelly of stanza 4 is noted by Julian from the Family Treasury, 1868, p. 689; not having the volume available to me, I nevertheless find a tranlsation of 3 stanzas by Friedrich Zuchtmann in The Choral Book (1889), which I include below, but have not used for my translation.

 


I DAILY die, and life is flying
Forever nearer to the grave.
Who can assurance be supplying
That life tomorrow I shall have?
Time presses on, death draweth nigh:
Who would be ready e’er to die?

2 A man, who is by sin infected,
Is always ripe for grave the tomb;
A fatal fall and unexpected
Doth o’er the wormy apple loom;
The ancient cov’nant none excludes:
Death’s pow’r within me also broods.

3 He heralds sends not to every mortal;
Oft unannounced he calls apart
And bids us pass his inky portal;
Blest is the ordered house and heart!
Eternal happiness and grief
All hang upon a moment brief.

4 O Lord of Lords, whose hand containeth
Both life and death—’Tis Thine alone!
How long Thy will for me ordaineth,
Is and remains to me unknown.
So when the clock sounds in mine ears,
Remind me that my journey nears.

5 By eventide our life may alter
And be not as it was at morn;
With one foot on the earth I falter,
The other on the bier is borne;
A little step away I see
The place where worms shall feast on me.

6 A single stroke may end all bother,
And fall and death come instantly;
Yet strike, Lord, as a tender Father,
And in Christ’s death enclose Thou me;
That when these limbs their end receive,
The soul to Jesus’ cross may cleave.

7 I may grow weak and speak no longer,
My senses, Lord, may cease to be;
So I will pray while I am stronger:
My spirit I commend to Thee!
When these my lips no more can sigh,
Grant Jesus’ blood for me may cry.

8 May I impart no final blessing,
Then bless my own more than I could;
And if their tears should flow unceasing,
Have mercy then, O Couns’lor good!
Let loved ones’ cries, which death has stirred,
Be through Thy consolation heard.

9 When Thy last blow my heart receiveth,
Then open heaven’s gate to me;
Make short the pain that me aggrieveth,
And lift me up above to Thee;
Then shall my journey, though in haste,
No torment be, but ever blest.

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

FRIEDRICH ZUCHTMANN (The Choral Book, 1889)
1 I’m daily dying while I’m living,
And nearer cometh death’s cold thrall.
Who for my life His bond is giving,
Not on the morrow death will call?
Yes, life will go and death will come;
Who welcomes Him who takes him home?

2 (8) Have I not time to give a blessing
To those I love, bless them for me,
While tearful they my hands are pressing,
O God, in mercy grant my plea,
And let Thy children’s anxious cry
Ascend and reach Thy throne on high.

3 (9) And when at last my life is ended,
Then to Thy home my soul admit;
By death new life with mine be blended,
And at Thy side grant me a seat.
The separation has no pain,
And we in tears find hope’s sweet gain.

GERMAN
Ich sterbe täglich, und mein Leben
eilt immerfort zum Grabe hin.
Wer kann mir einen Bürgen geben,
ob ich noch morgen lebend bin?
Die Zeit geht hin, der Tod kommt her,
ach wer nur immer fertig wär!

2 ein Mensch, der sich mit Sünden träget,
ist immer reif zu Sarg und Grab;
der Apfel, der den Wurm schon heget,
fällt endlich unversehens ab.
Der alte Bund schließt keinen aus,
mein Leib ist auch ein Totenhaus.

3 Es schickt der Tod nicht immer Boten,
er kommet oft unangemeldt,
und fordert uns ins Land der Toten;
wohl dem, der Haus und Herz bestellt!
Denn ewigs Glück und Ungelück
hängt nur an einem Augenblick.

4 Herr aller Herren! Tod und Leben
hast du allein in deiner Hand:
wie lange du mir Frist gegeben,
das ist und bleibt mir unbekannt.
Hilf, daß ich jeden Seigerschlag [Zeiger…]
an meinen Abschied denken mag.

5 Es kann vor Abends anders werden,
als es am Morgen mit mir war;
den einen Fuß hab ich auf Erden,
der andern auf der Totenbahr;
ein kleiner Schritt ist nur dahin,
wo ich der Würmer Speise bin.

6 Ein einzig Schlag kann Alles enden, [einzger]
wenn Fall und Tod beisammen sein;
doch schlage nur mit Vaterhänden,
und schleuß in Christi Tod mich ein,
daß, wenn der Leib zu Boden fällt,
die Seel an Jesu Kreuz sich hält.

7 Vielleicht kann ich kein Wort mehr sagen,
wenn Auge, Mund und Ohr sich schleußt;
drum bet ich bei gesunden Tagen:
Herr, ich befehl dir meinen Geist!
Verschließen meine Lippen sich,
so schreie Jesu Blut für mich.

8 Kann ich die Meinen nicht gesegnen, […mehr segnen]
so segne du sie mehr als ich;
wenn lauter Thränen um mich regnen,
o Tröster! so erbarme dich,
und lasse der Verlaßnen Schrein
durch deinen Trost erhörlich sein.

9 Dringt mir der letzte Stoß zum Herzen,
so schließe mir den Himmel auf;
verkürze mir des Todes Schmerzen,
und hole mich zu dir hinauf:
so wird mein Abschied keine Pein,
zwar eilig, dennoch selig sein.

No comments: