17 February 2024

Mein Abba kommt vor deinen Thron

Here is my translation of the prayer hymn, “Mein Abba kommt vor deinen Thron” (Benjamin Schmolck, d. 1737), in GGELB #233 with melody assignment “Vater unser im Himmelreich.” I also find it in ELGB 2nd ed. (Buffalo Synod), #278. It first appears in the author’s Lustiger Sabbath (1712) with title “XLVI. The Key to Heaven and the Heart of God, on Rogate Sunday.” Several similarities are notable to the hymn “Getreuer Heiland, hilf mir beten” by Schmolck’s younger acquaintance, Christoph Pfeiffer.

 


MY Abba-cry comes nigh Thy throne
O Father, through Thy Son alone,
Who in my mouth hath set the word
And my request to Thee referred.
In Jesus’ name my cry is cried
Until Thy heart is opened wide.

2 In Jesus’ name I take my place
My God! before Thy door of grace.
For Jesus so instructed me,
Who said, with twofold “Verily,”
If in this name I make my cry,
My pray’r shall then be heard on high.

3 In Jesus name my plea I bring,
Since I can name no greater thing,
Thy fond paternal heart to break
Than when my mouth that name doth speak.
He constantly recalls to Thee
Thy lovingkindness fatherly.

4 In Jesus’ name I carry on,
And this my watchword is alone,
So that, should grief my lips restrain,
This name before Thee doth remain
And show that heart’s distress can prove
A mighty pray’r, Thy heart to move.

5 In Jesus’ name I all include
Which shall for me be blest and good.
For in this word I pow’r perceive
To which both soul and body cleave.
When armed with this I seek Thy face,
I find abundant grace for grace.

6 In Jesus’ name I soar above
To heaven, to Thy heart of love;
It gives me wings that I may fly
And pierce the clouds to realms on high,
And as I speak, it brings my plea
And sets it in Thy memory.

7 In Jesus’ name I call to mind
The sonship once to me consigned:
The Father Thou, the child am I,
And Thou wilt never lose my sigh.
When groans Thy Spirit in my breast,
Then mercy Thou rememberest.

8 In Jesus’ name I hold to Thee
Thy Son’s dread wounds and death for me;
His blood than Abel’s better cries,
’Tis oil to make life’s flame arise.
Yea, if Thou shouldest me ignore,
Then were He Jesus Christ no more.

9 In Jesus’ name I have e’en now
The foretaste of Thy fav’ring love.
Before I can or would implore
Thou hearest what I ask, and more,
Before I cry, O Lord, to Thee,
The ready answer comes to me.

10 In Jesus’ name I carry on
Until I a hearing may be won;
If Thou seem deaf, I still am bold,
As long as Jesus Word doth hold,
I know Thou wilt remain my Friend,
And, seeming deaf, my pray’r attend.

11 In Jesus’ name I hereby close
My sigh, and there let it repose.
My pray’r a sure Amen shall be;
This word shall never lie to me,
But perfect light of joy in heav’n,
Since Jesus’ name doth say Amen.

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Mein Abba kömmt vor Deinen Thron
zu Dir, o Vater, durch den Sohn,
der mir das Wort in Mund gelegt,
und mein Gebete für Dich trägt,
ich ruf in Jesu Namen an,
bis mir Dein Herz wird aufgethan.

2 In Jesus Namen steh ich hier,
mein Gott! für Deiner Gnaden-thür.
So hat mich jesus unterricht't,
der zweimal wahrlich! wahrlich! spricht:
Wenn ich in diesem Namen schrei,
daß mein Gebet erhöret sei.

3 In Jesus Namen heb' ich an,
weil ich nichts größ'res nenne kann,
das Dir das Vater-Herze bricht,
als wenn mein Mund den Namen spricht.
Denn der erinnert Dich all'zeit,
der väterlichen Gütigkeit.

4 In Jesus Namen fahr ich fort,
und dieses ist mein Losungs-Wort,
das, wenn vor Angst mein Mund gleich schweigt,
Dir dennoch dieser Name zeigt,
das auch des Herzens-Angst allein,
ein stark Gebete könne sein.

5 In Jesus Name schließ ich ein,
was mir kann gut und selig sein.
In diesem Worte steckt die Kraft,
daran so Leib als Seele haft't.
Wenn ich mit dem gewaffnet bin,
so nehm ich Gnad' um Gnade hin.

6 In Jesus Namen schwing ich mich
ganz Himmel-an zunächst bei Dich.
Er bindet mir die Flügel an,
daß ich die Wolken brechen kann,
und mein Gebet, sobald es klingt,
zu Dir in Dein Gedächtniß dringt.

7 In Jesus Namen halt ich Dir
die mir geschenkte Kindschaft für.
Bist Du der Vater, ich das Kind,
so geht kein Seufzer in den Wind:
Sobald Dein Geist im herzen schreit,
gedenkst Du der Barmherzigkeit.

8 In Jesus Namen stell ich Dir,
des Sohnes Tod und wunden für;
Sein Blut schreit mehr als Abels Blut,
und das ist Oel in meiner gluth.
Ja gäbest Du mir kein Gehör,
so wär Er auch nicht Jesus mehr.

9 In Jesus Namen trag ich schon
den Vorschmack Deiner Gunst davon.
Eh' ich noch beten will und kann,
so hörst Du schon meine Schreien an;
eh' ich noch rufe, Herr! zu Dir,
so kuommt die Antwort schon zu mir.

10 In Jesus Namen halt ich an,
bis ich Erhörung finden kann.
Verstelle Dich nur, wie Du willt,
so lange Jesus Wort was gilt,
so lange bleibst Du auch mein Freund,
obgleich Dein Ohr verschlossen scheint.

11 In Jesus Namen schließ ich drauf
den angefang'nen Seufzer-lauf.
Meine Bitten wird ein Amen sein,
und ein vollkommner Freudenschein.
Denn dieses Wort betrügt mich nicht,
weil Jesus Namen Amen spricht.

No comments: