25 February 2024

Wir Menschen sind lebendig tot

Here is my translation of the repentance hymn, “Wir Menschen sind lebendig todt” (Georg Philipp Harsdörfer, d. 1658), in GGELB #266 wth melody assignment, “Aus tiefer Noth schrei ich zu dir.” Fischer’s lexicon omits it, but Das Deustche Kirchenlied des 17. Jhs., vol. 5, p. 5, no. 5, gives the original text, which I myself find in the author’s Hertzbewegliche Sonntagsandachten II (1652), no. XXXVI, with title “Repentance Hymn” and same melody appointment. The variants are especially substantial, esp. in stanza 3, the obscure syntax of which may have contributed to the later alteration. I have taken “Sündenwelt” in apposition to “Schuld,” though it is not a certain reading. Notably uncommon is that Harsdörfer rhymes the final line with lines 2 and 4, whereas it is normally unrhymed. I have followed the original text.

 


WE mortals, living, yet are dead
While in our sin proceeding;
Our soul’s distress in us is bred
Till we are lost, unheeding.
We live without all care or fear,
Too late God’s faithfulness revere,
To which we should be speeding.

2 Although we oft with guiling air
Some godly work endeavor,
Yet none can boast that he is fair
And pure in conscience ever.
But God is just, and only He.
We must unworthy servants be
Whose shame is ended never.

3 Among the sinful crowd I stand,
Chief worker of transgression,
For all my sins are like the sand,
Beyond enumeration;
Oh, God, let not such countless debt
And world of sin, divide me yet
From mercy and compassion.

4 I, prod’gal son, come in defeat,
My sinful deeds repenting,
And quickly seek Thy Mercy-seat,
No false delay inventing.
O Father, I have constantly
Against Thee done inqiquity;
Be not Thou yet resenting!

5 I am, alas! not worthy, Lord,
As Thy dear son to call me;
Sore was Thy wrath upon me poured;
Let mercy now befall me!
My pain and sorrow Thou dost see
And makest haste to rescue me
From sins which now appall me.

6 I, who before was as though dead,
Now find new life appearing,
New raiment, food, and drink, and bread
Thou givest for my cheering;
Therefore I will with guileless way
As Thy beloved child obey,
To Thy dear Word adhering.

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Wir Menschen sind lebendig todt,
wenn wir in Sünden wallen;
wir stehen in der Seelennoth, [wir sehen nicht die Höllen Noth]
bis daß wir sicher fallen; [wir drein ge-]
wir leben hin ohn Sorg und Scheu,
gedenken spat des Gottes Treu, [spät an]
so schwebet auf uns allen. [die…]

2 Ob wir gleich oft aus falschem Wahn
der Frömkeit uns beflissen; [Frömmigkeit geflissen]
jedoch sich niemand rühmen kann,
daß er rein im Gewissen.
Gott ist und bleibt allein gerecht;
wir sind die stets unnützen Knecht [ja doch unnütze K.]
als die sich schämen müssen.

3 Ich unter aller Sünder Stand [Ein jeder muß sich voller Schand]
muß mich den größten nennen! [den größten Sünder n.]
Denn meine Sünd ist gleich dem Sand [Der Sünde ist so viel wie S.]
des Zahle nicht zu kennen; [der Zahl nicht zu erkennen]
Ach Gott, laß mich so große Schuld [es sollt auch mich die g. S.]
von deiner Milde, Gunst und Huld [von aller Gnade, Lieb u. H.]
die Sündenwelt nicht trennen. [des Allerhöchsten t.]

4 Ich, ich bin der verlorne Sohn,
den seine Sünden reuen,
der nun zu deinem Gnadenthron
zu fliehen nicht will scheuen. [zu fliehn sich fast w. s.]
O Vater! ich hab für und für
sehr oft und viel gesündigt dir;
ich muß um Gnade schreien. [muß um Erbarmung s.]

5 Ich bin, ach leider! nun nicht werth,
daß ich dein Sohn soll heißen;
ich bin mit deinem Grimm beschwert;
du wollst dich gnädig weisen;
du siehest meine Reu und Schmerz
und eilst mich mit dem Vaterherz [Ich weiß, es eilt dein V.]
aus aller Noth zu reißen. [mich aus der Angst z. r.]

6 Der ich zuvor war gleichsam todt, [geistlich todt]
empfind ein neues Leben;
ein neues Kleid, Speis, Trank und Brod
läßt du mir freudig geben. [nunmehr geben]
So will ich nun ohn falschen Schein [auch ohn]
dir als ein Kind gehorsam sein
nach deinem Wort zu streben [und nach dem Himmel s.]

No comments: