20 December 2023

Ach, abermal bin ich gefallen

Here is my translation of the repentance and sanctification hymn, “Ach, abermal bin ich gefallen” (Balthasar Münter, d. 1793), in NEGB #227 with melody assignment “Wer nur den lieben Gott läßt walten,” appearing in Münter’s Samml. geistl. Lieder (1774), vol. 2, p. 69ff., with title “Favorite Sin.”

 



ALAS, again, O Lord, I’ve fallen
With full awareness and consent;
How deeply, deeply I have fallen!
And shall I not at last repent?
Oh, what a sinful wretch am I,
In what a deep abyss I lie!

2 O fav’rite sin that pleases never,
O vile desire that will not rest,
The inclination, ling’ring ever,—
Oh, how they rage within my breast!
How boundless seems their mastery,
How dread their power over me!

3 My conscience long in faithful fashion
Had warned: “O man, fight not with God!
Swept on by wicked lust and passion,
Thou racest down perdition’s road!
Soon, soon, thy sin will steal from thee
Thy bliss for all eternity.”

4 Oft have I pledges undertaken;
Now would I from my passions flee,
Yea, henceforth having sin forsaken,
Walk without fault and blamelessly!
How oft, O God, I have appealed
To Thee for strength and to be healed!

5 But soon again that sin surprised me,
My weak resistance was ashamed,
Alas, it struck me and enticed me
And speedily the vict’ry claimed!
Then pleasure vanished like the dust
And left but loathing and disgust.

6 This time once more I was defeated!
Alas, my fall was ne’er so deep!
My resolution was unseated—
My conscience cried, my heart did leap;
I thought of Thee, O Judge, as well,
And still, oh, still in sin I fell!

7 I told myself, God shall avenge it!
And still, oh, still in sin I fell.
Is any fault like my transgression?
It frightens me like very hell;
At threats divine and judgment stern
I quailed, yet never once would learn.

8 O love of sin deep-set within me!
How shall I rid myself of thee?
How overcome thy charms to win me?
How stamp out sin and thee in me?
My gracious God, receive my sigh:
Help me sin’s forces to defy!

9 If I but loved Thee as were fitting,
Sin’s longing soon would flee away;
Though sin would not its war be quitting,
It would not over Thee hold sway.
The virtue of Thy perfect love
Would all the pow’r of sin remove.

10 Work in my soul, by grace inspiring
A love for Thee and longing true;
Let all my thinking and desiring
By action testify thereto!
To love Thee, God, of all things most,
Let be my work, my hope, my boast!

11 Then shall I overcome my passions
And so at last the mast’ry claim.
Then wilt Thou pardon my transgressions,
Though great in number and in shame.
For thanks, to Thee I here shall live,
And hymns of praise in heaven give.
 
Translation © 2023 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Ach! abermal bin ich gefallen
Mit überlegung und mit wahl!
Tief, o wie tief bin ich gefallen,
Vielleicht noch nicht zum letztenmal!
Elender sünder, der ich bin,
In welchen abgrund iel ich hin.

2 O die verhaßte lieblings-sünde,
O die gewohnheit böser lust;
Der hang, den ich zu ihr empfinde,
Wie wüten sie in meiner brust!
Wie unumschränkt, wie fürchterlich
Ist ihre herrschaft über mich!

3 Längst warnte schon mich mein gewissen:
Mensch, du empörst dich wider Gott!
Von böser lust dahin gerissen,
Verrogner, eilst du in den tod!
Dir raube die sünd in kurzer zeit
Dein glück in zeit und ewigkeit.

4 Wie oft hab ich mir vorgenommen:
Nun will ich meine sünde fliehn:
Nein und unsträflich und vollkommen
Zu wandeln, will ich mich bemüht!
Wie oft, o Gott! hat meine gebet
Um kraft dazu dich angesteht!

5 Bald reitzt aufs neue mich die sünde:
Wie schwach war gleich mein widerstand;
Ach! sie gefiel mir! und geschwinde
Ergriff sie mich und überwandt:
Die lust verschwand mir im genuß:
Nun folgten eckel und verdruß.

6 Auch dismal bin ich uuberwunden!
Ach! niemals sonst fiel ich so tief,
Mein versatz war noch nicht verschwunden:
Mein herz schlug, mein gewissen rief:
Gott! richter1 ich gedacht an dich,
Und dennoch, dennoch sündigt ich.

7 Ich sagte mir: Gott wird es rächen:
Und dennoch, dennoch sündigt ich.
Ist ein vergehn, wie mein verbrechen?
O wie erschreck ich über mich!
Vom drohen deines weltgerichts
Erhebt ich; doch es wirkte nichts.

8 O tief verborgne sünden-liebe,
Wie werd ich endlich frei von dir!
Wie überwind ich deine triebe,
Und dämpfe dich und sie in mit?
Gott, mein erbarmer, hör mein stehn,
Und lehre mich, ihr widerstehn!

9 Liebt ich dich nur so wie ich sollte,
So flöh die lust zur sünde mich;
Wenn sie mich auch versuchen wollte,
Gelung es ihr nicht wider dich:
Durch deiner wahren liebe kraft
Würd ihre macht hinweggeschaft.

10 O! pflanze du in meiner seele
Rechtschaffne lieb und lust zu dir.
Gott! was ich denke, was ich wählte,
Das zeuge durch die that von ihr!
Dich lieben als mein eigenthum,
Das sei mein werk, mein heil, mein ruhm.

11 Dann werd ich endlich überwinden,
Und herrscher meiner lüste sein.
Dann wirst du alle meine sünden,
Wie viel, wie groß sie find, verzeihn.
Mein leben hir, mein lobgesant
Im himmel, Vater! sei dein dank!

No comments: