26 December 2023

Meine Hoffnung läßt mich nicht

Here is my translation of the trust hymn, “Meine Hoffnung läßt mich nicht” (Benjamin Schmolck, d. 1737), in NEGB #235 with melody assignment “Meinen Jesum laß ich nicht,” originally appearing in the author’s Heilige Flammen (1704) with the title: “The pleasant hope.” It is an acrostic on the name MARIA JOHANNA ZEDLITZIN GEBOHRNE TSCHIRNHAUSIN. I have attempted to preserve the first names, “Maria Johanna,” at least, but when I came to stanza 3, faced with the dubious proposition of beginning a stanza with a z-word, I preferred to break off the attempt at reproducing the entire acrostic. “Zestful doubt the heart doth kill,” indeed. In brackets I provide alternate, slightly more natural wording for the first two stanzas. Even in the German, the acrostic accounts for some of the stranger imagery and contributes to a sense of disconnectedness.

 


MY hope never shall depart! [Never shall my hope depart]
All things else may well forsake me.
“Rest,” I tell my trusting heart, [Here I say with…]
“I will to my God betake me;
Ah, what balm and blessedness, [Comfort here…]
Jesus gives me to possess!” [Yea, my Savior…]

2 Oh, this world is vanity; [All…]
Here on spider-webs we slumber;
All who would with Jesus be— [He…]
No cares else their heart encumber; […his heart…]
Now their soul on sweetness feeds [On sheer honey-dew he…]
And knows not life’s bitter weeds.

3 Doubting doth the heart but kill;
Spirits must by hope be driven.
He who sends me grief and ill
Leaves me, too, an open heaven.
God remains my rock on high,
Much though men my hope defy.

4 Tears are seeds of sorrow born;
I must be with tears anointed.
Have no fear! The path of thorn
Heavenwards is ever pointed.
Hearts resigned in stillness dwell
Till the sun shall storms dispel.

5 Viper-tongues and vicious spite
Oft have innocence assaulted,
Yet integrity shines bright
Once the troubling storms are halted.
Consciences which know God bear
Virtue’s honor-trophy fair.

6 Hush, impatience in the race!
Futile cares are scourges ever;
If thou hast God’s loving grace,
Thou need never doubt nor waver.
Hope and rest in Him retain;
After grief shall come the gain.

7 Hope, thou solid ground and true!
I will not succumb to sinking.
When my lips with palid hue
Shall death’s bitter cup be drinking,
Hold thou forth in hope to me
Christ alone: my hope is He!

Translation © 2023 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Meine hoffnung läßt mich nicht,
Alles mag mich sonst verlassen,
Ruht mein herz in Gott, und spricht:
Ich will ihn getrost umfassen;
Ach so hab ich trost und heil,
Jesus ist der seelen theil.

2 O wie eitel ist die welt!
Hier schläft man auf spinnen-weben:
Aber wers mit Jesus hält,
Nur allein ihm denkt zu leben,
Nähret sich mit honigthau,
Auch in dieser wermuths au.

3 Zweifel tödtet nur das herz,
Edle geister müssen hoffen
Der mich sclägt mit angst und schwerz,
Läßt mir auch den himmel offen:
Ist Gott meine zuversicht,
Trotz dem, der mir widerspricht.

4 Zähren sind die jammersaat,
Ich muß mich mit thränen salben,
Nur getrost, der dornen pfad
Geht zum himmel allenthalben.
Ein gelaßnes herze schweigt,
Bis der sturm die sonne zeigt.

5 Ottergift und blasser neid,
Hat die unschuld oft verletzet,
Redlichkeit wird doch allzeit
Nach dem unglücksturm ergetzet:
Ein gewissen, das Gott weiß,
Trägt der tugend ehren-preis.

6 Schweige demnach ungeduld,
Eitle sorgen sind nur plagen,
Hast du deines Gottes huld,
Ey so darfst du nicth verzagen,
Ruhe nur, und hoff auf ihn,
Nach dem trauren folgt gewinn.

7 Hoffnung, o du fester grund!
Ach so laß mich nimmer sinken,
Und wenn mein erblaßter mund
Soll des todes wernmuth trinken,
Ey so stell in hoffnung mir
Nichts als meinen Jesum für.

No comments: