21 December 2023

Du klagst, betrübter Christ

Here is my translation of the Cross and Comfort hymn, “Du klagst, betrübter Christ” (? Paul Henkel, d. 1825), in NEGB #228 with melody assignment “O Gott, du frommer Gott.” It is not found in any other source. I ascribe it to Henkel, despite the lack of the cipher (‡) on the basis of stylistic similarity to his other hymns, and especially the use of rhymes in the odd lines, which Henkel does almost uniquely among German hymnwriters. (Traditionally, the odd lines for “O Gott, du frommer Gott” and “Nun danket alle Gott” were construed only as half-lines of which the even formed the conclusion.) It is an honest, personal exploration of faith’s concern about the inner sensations of faith, doubt, apathy, and God’s hiddenness.

 


POOR Christian, thou dost cry,
Lamenting in thy sadness,
Because the Lord of joy
Is gone with all His gladness;
Thou criest in thy woe,
“How long shall He delay?”
Thy heart doth fearful grow
And finds no cheering ray.

2 If I did grace receive
And sins are all forgiven,
Then I should always live
In joy, as if in heaven.
The Spirit ought to move
Me with His pow’r aright;
And yet I lack true love
And have not grace’s light.

3 Thou say’st (this well I hear)
That I, the poor and weary
And laden, should draw near—
The Word of grace calls clearly,
and yet I answer not.
I feel for it no glee,
No light is in my thought
No life within I see.

4 Else were it perfect joy
To do God’s pleasure willing,
My heart would strength employ,
His Word to be fulfilling;
But now I have no might,
My heart will nothing hold,
My spirit has no light,
My strength is sapped and cold.

5 Oft doubts my heart assail,
And vex and terrify it,
Hence in my soul I quail
And sense a great disquiet.
Alas, my help is far!
In vain I peace pursue,
No comforts yet there are
In all that I may do.

6 Fear not, O Christian sad,
In these thy deep afflictions!
Thy state is not so bad,
Since such sincere convictions
Thy faith so clearly prove;
For thou couldst not be grieved
Unless the Lord in love
Had thee as His received.

7 No man doth pow’r possess
To know God or acclaim Him,
Nor Jesus to profess,
Nor as his Lord to name Him,
Save by the Spirit’s might,
Who hath enlightened thee,
Who bids thee pray aright
And seek God earnestly.

Translation © 2023 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Du klagst, betrübter Christ,
und seufzest in dem Leiden,
weil nun gewichen ist
von dir der Geist der Freuden;
du klagst und rufst: Wie lang
mein Gott sich mir verzieht,
dem Herzen wird es bang,
weil es den Trost nicht sieht.

2 Sind meine Sünden mir
von meinem Gott vergeben;
so sollt ich für und für
doch stets in Freuden leben.
Wo ist des Geistes Trieb?
Ach! den empfind ich nicht;
mir mangelt wahre Lieb
und auch das Gnadenlicht.

3 Du sprichst, Ich höre wohl,
mühselig und beladen,
ich Armer kommen soll,
so ruft das Wort der Gnaden,
und ich empfind es nicht;
ach! ich bin abegeneigt,
ich denk doch ohne Licht,
das mir das Leben zeigt.

4 Sonst war mirs wahre Freud
zu thun nach Gottes Willen
mein Herze war bereit
auch sein Wort zu erfüllen,
jetzt kann ichs aber nicht;
mein Herze es nicht faßt,
mein Geist lebt ohne Licht
und meine Kraft mich läßt.

5 Oft plagen Zweifel mich,
die mir mein Herz sehr quälen,
daher empfinde ich
solch Unruh meiner Seelen.
Ach! meine Hülf ist fern,
ich such vergeblich Ruh;
ich findt nicht Trost im Herrn,
in allem was ich thu.

6 Zag nicht, betrübter Christ,
in allen deinen Schmerzen,
weil dies ein Zeugnis ist
von einem bessern Herzen;
als dir das deine scheint;
du könnst nicht sein betrübt,
wär nicht dein Herz vereint
mit Jesu, den es liebt.

7 Kein Mensch vermag das nicht
von selbsten Gott erkennen
den Heiland Jesum Christ
nicht sienen Herrn zu nennen,
als durch den Heilgen Geist,
der dich erleuchtet hat,
der dich selbst beten heißt
und suchen Gottes Gnad.

No comments: