22 December 2023

Unser Herrscher, unser König

 Here is my translation of the thanks and praise hymn, “Unser Herrscher, unser König” (Joachim Neander, d. 1680), in NEGB #229 with melody assignment “Herr, ich habe mißgehandelt,” first appearing in the author’s Glaub- und Liebes-Übung (1679) with title “The Glorious Jehovah. Psalm 8:2.” The original melody by Neander was later altered and used for other hymns, but I include the original form here from Zahn. The translation by Reid from “The Praise Book” formed the basis of my translation, though eventually, by comparison with the German, the alteration became so great as to qualify as a new translation, perhaps excepting the first few lines. Reid’s translation, rich in poetic expression, is deficient chiefly in the last two lines of stanzas 2–5, which are a syllable short (while given and heaven may be comfortably sung as two syllables), which allows it be sung to the modern form of Neander’s melody. Curiously, Reid chose to rhyme the first and third lines, which are not rhymed in Neander’s German, whereas the tendency in English translation is, if anything, to drop rhymes in odd lines. Nevertheless, I have followed Reid in this respect.

 




LORD our Ruler, King victorious,
Thee our highest Good we own:
Thy great name is high and glorious,
For the wonders Thou hast done;
Near and far be praises given
From the earth to starry heaven!

2 Few are they who now, true-hearted,
Love and seek Thee longingly,
By whom praise might be imparted,
Therefore Thou preparest Thee
Praise from mouths of infants nursing,
Wide Thy pow’r in earth dispersing.

3 Oh, what cause for lamentation!
Yea, whose heart breaks not to see
Thousands cast away salvation
And forsake Thy majesty?
Oh, how sinners sleep securely!
Mighty is that wonder, surely!

4 Meanwhile, Lord, my great Defender,
I will love Thee faithfully;
For I know, O Father tender,
That Thou truly lovest me;
Lift me, that my heart may even
Be conformed to those in heaven.

5 Lord, whose name in every nation
Is extolled and widely known,
Where the rays of jubilation
Shine upon one land alone:
Praise Jehovah! heaven crieth,
And the earth in kind replieth.

6 Lord, my Ruler, great in glory
Is Thy name, and dear to me!
Therefore as I sing before Thee
I commend myself to Thee:
Grant in turn that I may wholly
Be inclined to serve Thee solely!

Translation © 2023 Matthew Carver.

REID
Sovereign Ruler, King victorious!
Thee, our highest good, we own;
Thy great name is high and glorious,
Pow’r belongs to Thee alone.
Endless praise to Thee be given,
Praise on earth, and praise in heaven.

2 Few there are, who, loyal hearted,
Cleave to Thee in these our days;
Therefore has Thy love imparted
Power to babes to speak Thy praise.
Lisping infants praises bring,
Now Thy mighty name they sing.

3 How Thy love-claims here are slighted,
E’en by hearts that know Thy grace!
In the pathway Thou hast lighted,
Few the footprints that we trace.
Yet, while many are asleep,
Some remain the watch to keep.

4 Jesus, faithful, gracious Saviour!
Keep me ever loving Thee,
Make me true in my behaviour,
For I know Thou lovest me;
Borne from earth on eagles’ wings,
Set my mind on heavenly things.

5 Lord, Thy name, all names transcending,
Shall throughout the world be known,
When the nations, meekly bending,
Worship Thee on David's throne;
Earth and heaven shall spread the fame
Of Jehovah's mighty name.

6 Excellent beyond my telling
Is Thy name, O Lord, to me;
In this tower of safety dwelling,
Let Thy grace my portion be:
So shall praise to Thee be given,
Evermore, in earth and heaven.


GERMAN
Unser herrscher, unser könig,
Unser aller höchstes gut,
Herrlich ist dein grosser name,
Weil er wunder-thaten thut;
Löblich, nah und auch von fernen,
Von der erd bis an die sternen.

2 Wenig sind zu diesen zeiten,
Welche dich von herzensgund
Lieben, suchen und begehren;
Aus der säugelingen mund
Hast du dir ein lob bereitet
welches deine macht ausbreitet.

3 Es ist leider zu beklagen,
Ja, wem bricht das herze nicht?
Wenn mann siehet so viel tausend
Fallen an dem hellen licht.
Ach wie sicher schläft der sünder,
Ist es nicht ein grosses wunder?

4 Unterdessen, Herr, mein herrscher,
Will ich treulich lieben dich:
Denn ich weiß, du treuer Vater,
Daß du herzlich liebest mich:
Zieh mich kräftig von der erden,
Daß mein herz mag himmlisch werden.

5 Herr, dein nam ist hochgerühmet.
Und in aller welt bekannt,
Wo die warmen sonnenstrahlen
Nur erleuchten einig land,
Da ruft himmel, da ruft erde:
Hochgelobt Jehovah werde!

6 Herr, mein herrscher, o wie herrlich
ist dein name meiner seel!
drum ich auch für deinen augen
Singende mich dir befehl:
Gib daß deines kindes glieder
Sich du ganz ergeben wieder!

No comments: