23 December 2023

Ach Gott wie mancher Kummer macht

Here is my translation of the Cross & Comfort hymn, “Ach Gott wie mancher Kummer macht” (Erdmann Neumeister, d. 1735), in NEGB #232 with melody assignment “Es ist gewißlich an der Zeit” and title “Of Cross and Trial,” first appearing in the author’s Zugang zum Gnaden-Stuhl (1710ff.) with melody assignment “Herr Jesu Christ, du höchstes Gut” and title “Hymn of Comfort from 1 Peter 5:7.”


 




AH, God, how grievous is my plight!
How oft it steals my slumber!
When I through many a weary night
My thousand sorrows number,
My sighs and pray’rs arise to Thee,
Dear God, regard me graciously,
And soothe my heart and spirit!

2 Thought I must yet consume my bread
While tears of sorrow wet me,
Thou wilt not leave Thy child in dread,
Nor evermore forget me;
For Thou from childhood’s earliest day
Hast led me in a wondrous way
Through many thorns and roses.

3 My heart may worry day and night
How plans shall thrive or languish;
Yet once it has surveyed aright
Its every care in anguish,
It finds that naught is gained thereby,
Wherefore I trustingly rely
On Thee, and naught beside Thee.

4 To overcome all anxious care
Let me Thy patience borrow,
And ground the anchor of my pray’r
Upon Thy care and sorrow!
The spirit willing is, and yet
The flesh is weak and like to fret;
So be my Strength unfailing!

5 Have I but Thee, there is no place
For fear or sad repining;
Through life and death the Sun of grace
Must be forever shining,
And grief must wholly be resigned;
Then be at peace, unhappy mind!
For God is my contentment!

Translation © 2023 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Ach Gott! wie mancher Kummer macht,
daß ich mich herzlich kränke!
Wenn ich bei mancher trüben Nacht
an tausend Dinge denke,
so gehn die Seufzer zu dir auf.
Ach lieber Gott! ach merke drauf,
und tröste mein Gemüthe.

2 Solls sein, daß ich mein bißgen Brod
mit Thränen noch muß essen,
so wirst du doch in keiner Noth
mich, als dein Kind, vergessen;
dein Kind, das du von Kindheit an,
auf mancher Dorn- und Rosen-Bahn
recht wunderlich geführet.

3 Mein Herze sorgt zwar früh und spat,
wie dies und das wird kommen;
und wenns nun alle Sorgen hat
recht ängstlich durchgenommen,
so hat es doch nichts ausgericht:
drum will ich meine Zuversicht
auf dich, und sonst nichts, stellen.

4 Gib mir Geduld, damit ich stets
die Sorgen überwinde,
und sich der Anker des Gebets
auf deine Sorgen gründe.
Der Geist ist willg: aber doch
das Fleisch fühlt seine Schwachheit noch;
drum sei du meine Stärke.

5 Hab ich nur dich, so hats nicht Noth
mit mir und mit den Meinen;
so muß durch Leben und durch Tod
die Gnaden-Sonne scheinen;
so streicht der Kummer gänzlich hin.
Zufrieden, unvergnügter Sinn!
denn Gott bleibt mein Vergnügen.

No comments: